R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRisers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Risers
    Posted: 16 May 2010 at 2:35pm
I had the 4" risers added onto our R-Pod 171 in early March and had a chance to tow the camper this weekend in the rain and mud.  What I spotted when we got to the camp ground was a nice spray up from behind the tires of the mud and road stuff.  Anyone else with the risers have the same problem?  Anyone put mud flaps on yet?  
photog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 10:41pm
Mudflaps, front and rear are IMHO an  absolute must once the risers are installed. We leave in the morning on a 5 day podding trip otherwise I'd go out and take some pictures of what I did. I'll take some pictures on the trip and will post them once we return.
Take care,
Heinrich and Elly
2010 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
2010 Prime Time Tracer 205M
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 12:04am
Thanks! and have a great trip!
Sistahs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 9:40am
Looking forward to your photos, photog, as I have the risers also. Have not had my pod on the road in rain yet, but feel sure mudflaps will be needed. 
F150/R-pod171
photog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 1:19am
Well we are back from a wonderfull 3days in Banff and here are the promised pictures:

Until I make sometime out of a piece of heavy canvas I just wrap an old towel around the dump valves. After driving on gravel roads and construction sections it really saves a lot of grieve. The mudflaps are a lot better than nothing but should have been a little longer.

There was no shortage of Richardson's ground squirrels, they were all over the place.
Heinrich and Elly
2010 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
2010 Prime Time Tracer 205M
Sistahs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 9:33am
Thanks for the pics! I have a concern that even tho they need to be a bit longer, doing so might make it possible for them to swing up and hit the dump valves. Am working on a bracket that may solve that potential problem. Will post pics when I figure out how to upload them. But I really appreciate your input. And what a gorgeous site. Must have been a fabulous trip. Thanks again.
F150/R-pod171
barbanjoe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 9:33am
Wow, quite nice where you were! we have not needed the mud flaps so far as we are in arizona and not much rain, but I think I will put some on to be safe to keep rocks from the dump valves, thanks for the idea.
BarbanJoe
010 Rpod 171
02 Jeep 4x4
12 Ram 1500
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 11:41am
Sistahs:  where are you from?  I'm in Saint Augustine.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 11:48am
Thanks 'rpodcamper' for mentioning mudflaps...I have risers installed.
After returning from a trip in the rain...I did notice a lot of road dirt splashed up on the Pod, both in front and behind the fenders.  I bought mudflaps for both front and behind the fenders.
I used longer flaps behind the fenders.  I made certain that the flaps were stiff enough and short
enough not to reach the drain valves.  I also checked that the right front flap would not interfere
with the fold-out-steps.  I had to make some cutouts on the right-side flaps, so that the R-Dome
skirt could slide in the bottom track.
A question for 'photog'...have you had damage previously from gravel hitting your dump valves?  I have never noticed visual damage to my valves (but I may not have traveled as long distances on
dirt roads as you).  I have not seen anyone, before, wrap their valves to protect them as you did.

TIDALWAVE
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 12:24pm
All r-pods are not created equal.  (Sorry just to much Blonde hair dye when I was younger).  

Anyway on my 172 all the sewer hook ups are in front of the wheel, but I would still like to put mud flaps on to keep stuff off the back.

Can't seem to find where anyone has posted that particular Mod.  OPPS.  I'll start a thread, Meanwhile Love your mud flaps and I also have risers.  I think podterfly tows easlier (more level and aerodynamic) and i do believe I've had an improvement (1-2) in MPG.

LeeClap    

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>