Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShould I buy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I buy?
    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 5:38pm
:) +1 to winding down, not sure I would need a Tesla, but open. But would prefer it to an Edison based on history.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 6:16pm
Tesla will pretty much tromp any ICE vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgZJg6Mu0cU

Telsa/Westinghouse created ac power distribution, Edison advocated dc power distribution, Guess who won? 

Unfortunately for Tesla he was a genius but really bad business person, so died penniless.  
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 7:54pm
As i stated in an earlier post we are travelers not campers.  When I worked I would fly to an area, rent a car and drive from site to site staying in motels.  It was very efficient and we packed in alot. Now that we are retired we are doing the same traveling but with an RV.  It is much better since we have the time and do not have to pack and unpack and always look for places to eat.  But it is less traveling efficient since we only like to spend 4-5 hours on the road and do not want to set up in the dark.  So we get up late and start out at 11 AM and drive until 4 PM.  Then we go to a campsite.  If not at our destination we do not unhook and only connect to electric, then leave the next day to continue on our way We have no stayed at free sites e.g. Walmarts.  We then repeat or else we get to our destination.  Usually its too late to do any sightseeing so we just set up camp and start the real vacation the next day.  If we drove a car we would drive later and get to a hotel late in the evening so that we gain an entire day.  When we leave with a car we can check out of a hotel and sightsee all day before moving on.  With the RV we have to check out and take the RPOD with us so there are few sights we can see that can accomodate a TT.  So its less efficient but who cares since we have the time being retired and not on a schedule.  The bottom line is we waited until retirement to buy the RV and do not regret waiting.  If we did it all over again knowing what we know now we would probable still have flown to places but rented a motorhome instead of cars and motels to save time and have the best of both worlds.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 10:06pm
Many times when we are on the road, we pull into a truck stop or Walmart or other site which the RVParky app tells me are no-cost places to stay overnight. For those, the R-Pod is ideal as the Frontier and RP179 will fit into a double parking space. After going in and checking with the management to find out if it is okay to stay, I park where they say to and then do some basic leveling, stabilizing, and putting the slide out. I don't unhitch for overnight stays. In the morning, reverse the process and we are on the road again.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 3:36am
For us, it works better when we have a long distance between destinations to break down camp and hitch up the evening before and head out early (like 4-5 AM early) and put in a longer day on the road if needed. I'm up early anyway, and I love driving at 4AM, its quiet and peaceful, no traffic, and by the time everyone else is getting up we're already halfway to our destination. We stop around 8-9 to make breakfast and generally hit our next campsite by 2-3 latest. Plenty of daylight left to get set up, take a walk, and relax. But now that I'm retired I never do that two days in a row. If its a shorter distance we still start by around 6 and are done by 11-12.

But, having owned class A's, B's, C's, and now a travel trailer, if I was still working and moving from place to place daily on vacation, I would opt for a small class B, and stay in motels part of the time. It's just easier and more flexible in terms of where you can stay and where you can park. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Royal1585 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 8:15am
I know an RV is in my future.  With my job, I have three-day weekends during the Summer and I could essentially go out every weekend to different areas in Texas, if I had the urge to do so.   I do like to take a "power" vacation in the Summer in which I fly out East and visit numerous historical sites within a matter of days. An RV wouldn't be conducive for that.  But when I do have more time in the Summer, I could see me hauling an RV out there and spending 3-4 weeks..or even longer....just rolling through the East coast to all kinds of places.  One of my considerations is, if I buy one now, I could have it paid off before I retire and would own it clean and clear when I hang up the job in 4 years.  Just one of several things I'm pondering...
Go Royals!
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 9:21am
Yes, for most of us, it's best to have things paid off before retirement.  That's one of the reasons, among many, that we bought a used TV and a used r-Pod after retiring.  Not only did we save a lot of money and avoid monthly payments, we also avoided all the warranty issues that so many new Pod purchasers seem to report on this board.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 9:39am
+1 to Lostagain. The last thing retired people need is debt...
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 9:26pm
We cashed out our new 180, after taking some $$$ from an inheritance I got from my great aunt. I debated whether or not to buy new, but I've never had a new camper before and wanted the experience. (I was hoping that by buying new it would last a while, and was under the assumption that we would have a warranty. So far we've had no breakdowns, which is good because I found out later that the dealer we bought from is notoriously bad at honoring warranty work.) Plus, I wanted to start using it now rather than wait years for retirement while I was still in good health. I've seen a lot of people wait and then their heath starts to fail and they can't even use the RV that they waited so long to buy. 

We are both still working but we use it a lot on weekends, and we took a nice long trip this past summer for two weeks.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 10:11am
+1 to buying and using while you are young and healthy enough to enjoy it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>