Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShould I buy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I buy?
    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 10:43am
Really, the ongoing maintenance isn't that much. I don't spend hours doing routine maintenance. I have spent hours making modifications (see them using the link in my signature). The routine stuff does not take much time. Sometimes it is just a visual check. Other times it may be more involved, but that is only if the visual check reveals a problem. Those type problems are not too common. If you are maintaining your automobiles correctly, you are probably putting in just about as much time. Take it in perspective. Also consider that the benefits of getting out there are part of the equation also. A trailer sure beats being in a tent on a leaky air mattress!
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 10:59am
Everything can be a 'money pit'. It is just how you use it, and what you really enjoy doing in life. I know guys that own $60000 boats and barely use them, or $25000 motorcycles and hardly ride. Our camper has been out west mulitple times and served us well and we see it as an investment in something we love doing.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 11:16am
I think the key is being realistic about the free time you have and what you want to spend it on. In this I think Royal1585 is showing good judgement.

Recreational time is less and less available to working people as time marches on. Compare the 70's and 80's to now. Back then generally one spouse worked and often only 40 hours a week. Now generally both work and who only works 40 hours a week anymore? 

The days of folks having multiple high maintenance hobbies while they are still working are really a thing of the past. There is zero market now for new modest 20-30 ft sailboats for example. Or new light aircraft. RVing is arguably less expensive and time consuming than either of these but it still does take precious time that more and more frequently just isn't there. So you end up slaving away to own "stuff" that becomes a yard ornament. Not worth it. Royal1585's decision to wait until closer to retirement makes all kinds of sense to me. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 11:48am
One consideration in owning an RV is can you share it with other family members, like your kids?  Our kids don't have the time to really get their money's worth from a travel trailer, so it would be silly for any of them to buy one.  On the other hand, for at least 2 of our 3, they live close enough to borrow our Pod if they ever want to take a travel trailer vacation.  Both have SUV's perfectly capable of towing it or they can borrow both the our truck and the Pod.  The more the RV is used, the less the  per use cost is.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Royal1585 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 1:29pm
Well...the free time I have now is in the Summer...I like flying out East for a few days and visit historical areas, but it is a "power" vacation.  I am on the move from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.  I would not be able to do that with a trailer and I wouldn't expect to.  
Go Royals!
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 3:13pm
OTOH, having an RV might mean that you take the time to see some of the historical sites that you would not otherwise see that are in "flyover country."
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 4:26pm
There are for sure some interesting Civil War sites on the way to the Mid Altantic region from TX. But that would take more than a few days... 

One thing I've found I DO NOT like is to move the trailer every day. Its just too exhausting to set up break down camp that much. If you wanted to do that with an RV a Class B or possibly a C would be a much better choice. I've done those kind of "power" vacations in a smaller Class B and it worked out great. And you can always just pull into a motel to if you're in an urban area and that's more convenient. 

Being retired now I much prefer the trailer. I can set up for 4-7 days and get my car back to drive around and explore an area without having to drag my house around every time I want to go get a quart of milk. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 4:49pm
+1 to trailer.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 5:28pm
Trailer all the way.
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 5:31pm
Royal, if I were a cardiologist, I'd look you up to take over your care, then go and buy a brand new Tesla S.  Take it from a someone who spent way too many hours in his profession, slow down a little so you can be healthy enough to enjoy your retirement.  I know it is impertinent to offer such suggestions, but on this board, we're always available to give advice, needed or not.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>