This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShould I buy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I buy?
    Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 4:56pm
You still might be better off with a motor home than a travel trailer, but definitely recommend renting first. Motor homes would be easier for tailgating, than a travel trailer. You can move around in a motor home while on the road while someone else drives (use the bathroom, fix a sandwich, etc) which you definitely Cannot do in a travel trailer.

As a bumper sticker I saw once said, 'If It F*@#s, Floats, Or Flies, It's Cheaper To Rent it.'

I guess that applies to RVs as well.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by OldNeumanntapr

You still might be better off with a motor home than a travel trailer, but definitely recommend renting first. Motor homes would be easier for tailgating, than a travel trailer. You can move around in a motor home while on the road while someone else drives (use the bathroom, fix a sandwich, etc) which you definitely Cannot do in a travel trailer.

As a bumper sticker I saw once said, 'If It F*@#s, Floats, Or Flies, It's Cheaper To Rent it.'

I guess that applies to RVs as well.
What they say about boats is "They're a hole in the water into which you pour money." What they say about airplanes is "They're hole in the sky into which you pour money."

Not sure what the trailer/RV corollary is. Confused
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 8:17pm
It's a pothole in the road that you fill with your money.  

Rent first.  If you really like both camping and always fixing the RV, then you can always buy one.  From my experience, and that of others on the board, a good used RV is best.  The workmanship on all RV's in the price class of the r-Pod is awful; probably on a lot of the high end ones too.  If you buy new, you have to deal with fighting over warranty issues until everything is fixed.  If you buy good condition used, someone else has done all the fighting for you.  But even if you buy the perfect RV, you'll still be messing with it all the time because they are high maintenance, like ...well I won't go there.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 4:14am
It's all a matter of perspective.

Airplane owners count funds for maintenance of their aircraft in AMU's (aviation monetary units) 1 AMU = $1K.

Boat owners use Boat Bucks (1 Boat Buck = $1K).

AFAIK, there isn't the equivalent in the RV world. 

Having owned several of all three types of money pits, aircraft are by far the most expensive, boats don't even come close (there's no equivalent of the FAA for boats). And RV's are the least expensive (because stuff doesn't need to say "marine" on it).

So I look at it this way, by choosing RV's I'm already saving moneyLOL 

When I was young I had a senior engineer as a mentor where I worked. He was into all sorts of things, you name it, he'd done it. So eventually I asked him how he found the time and money for all of  that and he told me his secret, which I'll pass on. He said you can do so much more in life if you follow the 80/20 rule. You can get 80% of the results with 20% of the investment, that last 20% to get into the 99th percentile in any activity takes 80 plus % of the resources.

So, just don't do that.  The perfect RV, the perfect lawn, the top level recognition in a sport. Just don't go there. Rent first, if you like it buy used, maintain to a safe standard, skip all the unnecessary high end equipment. Don't stress about some imperfections, spend time camping instead, and have fun! 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Royal1585 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 8:05am
Not thrilled with the prospects of a money pit.  I want to explore and enjoy and not be hassled with constant repairs and extensive set-up and take-downs.  This site is giving me more perspective and what owning an RV would entail.  It's not cheap to rent either, but I am accepting that RV'ing is not about gaining an economical advantage over hotels, B&B's, etc.  I'll think more on it and decide what I want to do.    
Go Royals!
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 8:53am
Greetings:

I think you now have enough information to make an informed decision.  Good luck and enjoy whatever your decision is.  Remember, it's only money!  
Cranster78  R-179

Crankster 78 R-179 2015
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 9:00am
Royal, almost everything in life is a pothole into which you throw money.  The question is whether there is a commensurate amount of benefit that you receive for your money.  A nice meal at a fine restaurant goes in then a few hours goes out, but it was the going in that made it nice and worth the money.  It's just a matter of cost vs. benefit.  If you get enough benefit it's worth the cost, whether a boat, an RV, an airplane, a nice vacation; truly all the things in life that you spend money on.  

So don't worry so much about the money, it will, of necessity, be self limiting.  If you enjoy a trailer or some other kind of an RV, get one.  Just make sure the pleasure is consistent with the money and effort.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 10:43am
Originally posted by offgrid

It's all a matter of perspective.

Airplane owners count funds for maintenance of their aircraft in AMU's (aviation monetary units) 1 AMU = $1K.
That probably depends on the airplane. If you're flying a Gulfstream an AMU might be around $10K. If you're flying a Piper Malibu, the $1K AMU is about right. If you're flying a Cessna 152, an AMU is probably closer to $250. When I had my homebuilt, I used $100 as an AMU.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 11:05am
What did you have? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Royal1585

Not thrilled with the prospects of a money pit.  I want to explore and enjoy and not be hassled with constant repairs and extensive set-up and take-downs.  This site is giving me more perspective and what owning an RV would entail.  It's not cheap to rent either, but I am accepting that RV'ing is not about gaining an economical advantage over hotels, B&B's, etc.  I'll think more on it and decide what I want to do.    

It sounds like you're getting there! It does help when you can show someone real-life examples of "this could be us doing this". Meaning, that your wife can picture some of the things you could do with an RV. I agree with the comment about a trailer being difficult for tailgating so more food for thought. Also when you're driving around places you want to go, think about "would I be here if I had 20 more feet of vehicle behind me?". Because when driving anything, let alone hauling a trailer, it's always good to remember the mantra that "everything is easier to get into than out of". Good luck and keep it fun! We're, um, pulling for you Smile
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>