Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShould I buy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I buy?
    Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 4:57pm
I bought my Pod used, I got a 90 day warranty. Way back in this post Royal says he is not a "fix it guy", I think that is important. Anything used, no warranty, I think you need an ability to try and fix or the funds to have it fixed and that can drive the cost up, that labor is expensive. A RV in the shop all the time is not a good investment. I'm retired so working on the Pod is almost a hobby, I have tools, a shop building and experience as an auto rebuilder.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Royal1585 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 6:24pm
I mean, I can fix basic things...I just wouldn't want to mess with plumbing, electrical or any of that kind of stuff.  I would want a relatively durable and as low-maintenance as I can.  Casitas appear to be pretty good in that regard, at least from what I have read.  R-Pod reviews are more mixed with some talking about "staples" and "tacks" being used.  Whether that's true or not, I don't know...I'll have to see one first.  thanks!
Go Royals!
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 7:25pm
A fiberglass trailer like the Casita and Scamp, doesn't have the structural issues that trailers that are made of wood and metal, like a Pod.  They are like a boat both inside and out.  They remind me of a McGregor 25's interior.  But, if you want something that doesn't need a lot of maintenance work, a Scamp or Casita will probably serve you best.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Royal1585 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 9:43am
I am visiting the Casita facility tomorrow.  I was scheduled to go look at a used R-Pod today, but I think I have ruled it out.  I honestly have just read about too many little issues with the R-Pod that I don't think I would have the patience to deal with. Not saying there won't be issues with the Casita, but the fact it is a fiberglass egg-type rather than a "stick built" reduces the possibility of leaks, etc.  Costs more, yes...but just not wanting to deal with potential issues that seem to be more apt with "stick built" campers.  Thank you for all your advice.     
Go Royals!
Buckeye View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 8:05am
Newbie here...we bought a 2017 Rpod 180 that was used three times, winterized it, put it into storage in the fall, and are looking forward to using it this year when I officially retire again, hopefully this time will be permanently. I really appreciate the insight from you all on the journey. Thanks for sharing your information.
Craig-retired teacher of the blind
Carol-retired legal admin asst
Spot and Sam-the miscreant Shih-tzus
"Politically incorrect with no real changes expected...”

Former 2017 Rpod 180
F150 5.0 4x4
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 8:20am
Originally posted by Royal1585

I am visiting the Casita facility tomorrow.  I was scheduled to go look at a used R-Pod today, but I think I have ruled it out.  I honestly have just read about too many little issues with the R-Pod that I don't think I would have the patience to deal with. Not saying there won't be issues with the Casita, but the fact it is a fiberglass egg-type rather than a "stick built" reduces the possibility of leaks, etc.  Costs more, yes...but just not wanting to deal with potential issues that seem to be more apt with "stick built" campers.  Thank you for all your advice.     
I was intending to buy a used Casita until I got scammed out of 2 grand. In the end, we got the RPod. I'm glad we did because of the greater space and a better (for us) layout. The Casita would have been too cramped. If you believe it will work for you, then go for it since you will be better off with one that you feel is better for your needs and that you believe will cause you less problems.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 8:24am
Originally posted by Buckeye

Newbie here...we bought a 2017 Rpod 180 that was used three times, winterized it, put it into storage in the fall, and are looking forward to using it this year when I officially retire again, hopefully this time will be permanently. I really appreciate the insight from you all on the journey. Thanks for sharing your information.
Welcome and congratulations! We've used our 2016 RP179 a lot and done some extensive traveling with it. If we were to want to go and set up at some RV resort, a larger RV would make more sense. However, we got it to travel and the RPods are great for that purpose. I hope you have many great adventures and make many wonderful memories as you travel with your RP180.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
LuvToCamp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 9:01am
Hello,
I have a 2018 Rpod 178 for sale for $14K if you are still looking. It will be like buying a new one since it was rarely used and I will include all the extras we purchased: sway bar, cover, electrical cords, hoses. Pickup in Indianapolis. —Heather (hhandley@mac.com)
Rpod 180 2018
Motor7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 1:21pm
Royal did you ever pull the trigger on a camper?

I would look at it this way(coming from a guy that has owned around 10 campers in 35 years), a reasonably priced used trailer won't be too much of a financial burden if you should decide to sell. If you are not seeing many used R-Pods in your area just widen your search pattern. There seem to be plenty in the mid atlantic. 

And I agree that the Casita or Oliver are better made, but the R-Pod is quite capable of doing many miles and many nights without any real issues. If you buy new, then decide to sell you will take a larger hit, even with the higher priced brands. 

2016 R-Pod 176T
Royal1585 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 9:01am
I have not.  I have other financial priorities at the moment, but I'm hoping to be in a position to pull the trigger later this year.  I like the new 2019 191 pod plan...also, the 189 and the 171.  I like the 171 for its simplicity and the fact that it does not have a slide out.  I feel the more moving parts, the more chance of problems.  But the sofa option on the 189 is attractive and the layout of the 191 looks appealing.  The Casita is still very much in the running..the new 2019 gray-accents on the interior is very nice and, again, I like the simplicity of the Casita as well as the durability.  We'll see...thank you for asking.  
Go Royals!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>