This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShould I buy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I buy?
    Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 8:05am
I have read multiple articles addressing the financial issues when considering the purchase of an RV.  The recommendation by many "experts" is to not purchase RV's, including travel trailers, due to the multiple costs required in addition to the initial purchase.  And especially don't purchase if it must be financed and cannot be purchased with cash.  When I travel, I stay in hotels...no need for any pre-trip RV preparations...no storage fees...no insurance, etc, etc.  I'm never out more than just a few days at a time and I currently don't do that all that often during a typical year.  Even if I want to spend a couple of weeks somewhere, the costs would not compare to the costs of using an RV (gas, campground fees, etc, etc.).  However, I am intrigued about the option of having my own RV...a small Travel Trailer like the R-Pod or Casita.  And if I have one, I think I would travel a bit more on weekends then I do now.  Would like to see responses regarding the pros/cons of RV ownership and whether it is worth it at the bottom line.  I like the R-Pod but am also curious about the Casita.  Thanks!  
Go Royals!
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 8:31am
greetings:
Pros and cons
It's nice having your bedroom with you and having the ability to take things along.  I enjoy State parks and being out in nature.   I don't like motels.  It depends how often you use the RV as to actual cost per night.  I use mine at least 30 nights or more a year and feel I get a fair value, plus I dry camp at steam and  threshing shows every year.  I find it a worthwhile investment.  

Cons:  you have to have a place to store it when not in use.  RV's are expensive unless you use it enough.  It costs you to tow with much lower MPG.  Insurance costs are high.  It requires a proper tow Vehicle, which are expensive.  It all depends where you want to put your money,  Folks buy $60000 boats and only use them a few times a year.   I have owned an RV for 9 years and for me it has been a enjoyable experience.

Crankster78  2015 R-179 F-150  
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
Royal1585 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 8:46am
Thank you for your response!  I have a 2018 Ram 1500.  It's a 3.6 liter V-6 with a max towing of 7600 lbs. I wouldn't want to get anything exceeding 5000 lbs fully loaded. My job allows me three day weekends during the Summer, so I would see me doing more things than I do now during the Summer if I had a little trailer.  I would probably also take 1 big trip during the Summer for a week or 2.  I live in Texas and I like going to Pennsylvania/New Jersey/Virginia areas so I would like to pull it up there for a week to 10 days...something like that.     
Go Royals!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 9:13am
Additional pros:

If you have pets its easier to travel and find places to stay.
You can prepare your own meals which is much cheaper, healthier, and  usually more convenient than eating out all the time while on the road. I think this alone compensates for the additional fuel costs and then some.
You already have a good tow vehicle for a smaller travel trailer.
You can buy used and eliminate much of the depreciation.
Its really easier to prepare and go than packing for motel stays once you have the trailer set up the way you want. If you keep a set of clothes, personal hygiene articles, etc, in the trailer really you only need to bring perishable food. 
If you stay in public parks its much cheaper than hotel rooms.

Additional cons: 

You will have increased maintenance labor and expenses. The workmanship and materials on most travel trailers is not of the highest quality, and you have more wheels on the road and more tow vehicle maintenance as you are using it harder.
You  will be driving more slowly so will have to plan for more time on the road. 
If you aren't used to towing you will need to adjust to where you park and pull into gas stations, etc.
It will take you longer to get going in the mornings and set up for the evenings.
if you wind up not using the trailer much it will sit and end up taking you longer to prepare which will result in less use, becoming a vicious circle.

So I think the main thing to ask is, is this how you want to spend your limited time off work? When I was working full time I got rid of my RV because I wasn't using it enough. I got to where I avoided dealing with it because it always needed something done before I could use it. Now that I'm retired and I got another one I use it 40-60 days a year, its always ready to go, and its great. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 9:39am
You have to like to "fix things" if you have an RV.  They are not a "plug and play" item.
Royal1585 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 9:42am
I'm not a big "fix it" kind of guy.  Don't have that aptitude so much, unfortunately.  Simple things, yes.  But doing anything electrical, plumbing, that kind of stuff...I tend to make things worse.  
Go Royals!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 11:02am
Or, you can spend $$$ and have an RV place maintain it for you....
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Royal1585 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 11:11am
Well..not interested in that either.  The more I look at the Casita and the reviews I read, the more enticing that one seems to be.  I like the idea of the egg fiberglass...fewer seams that can leak.  I need to spend some time looking at the R-Pod again.  The less maintenance, the better.    
Go Royals!
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 11:24am
The problems I saw with the Casitas when I looked at them are:

1. Interior ceiling height. I'm 6'1" and the Casitas have a very low ceiling, meaning that I'd probably be hitting my head on the AC unit.

2. Tight interior space. The slide-out on our 179 really makes a difference.

3. The small holding tanks. This isn't an issue if you're going to be camping at campgrounds with full hookups all the time, but it's a killer if you want to boondock.

4. Casita doesn't have a dealer network as far as I know, so you always have to deal with their factory in central Texas.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
Royal1585 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 11:29am
Appreciate that!  I'm 5'10", so ceiling height shouldn't be an issue.  I would have to step into each of them to see if the space would be an issue for us.  I think I would be at campgrounds most of the time, especially if my wife is along.  I may boondock some, I just really don't know yet.  I live in Texas..about 3 hours from their factory.  I really do appreciate your feedback!  
Go Royals!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>