R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwater leak issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: water leak issue
    Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 1:10pm

We attended the MiniMini rally in Kentucky and had a wonderful time. As others have mentioned in the Events section, there was rain during the last three days of the rally. Unfortunately, the rain gods saw fit to follow us all the way home to New Mexico. While we didn't notice it during the rally we did notice water in the wet bath of our 179 on the way home. The second time we noticed it we managed to track it to the fan area. We think we had the fan tightened securely (it was closed.) and secured but it leaked when we were traveling.

Okay, if you are going to have water coming in, it is best that it occurs in the wet bath but it is upsetting. So the question is: how do I prevent this from happening? Will a cover for the fan do the trick? Do I need to think about replacing the fan and cover ($$)? Is there a seal that can be applied?

My wife and I have both rejected the option of jut staying in the desert.

Enjoy Life!!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 3:45pm
There is dicor around the base and screws. It may need to be replaced. I removed the dicor, and used eternabond tape recently on ours.

A cover can be added. FF makes one that is pretty easy to add on.

If you find a problem with the lid itself, the manufacturer has been very good about covering them. They used to have a forever warranty.. I think it is now 3 years.
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 5:44pm
The Fantastic Vent was one of the first mods I did on our 178. We rarely close our vent wether traveling or not. Pics in my sig,

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 6:00pm
+1 to Fwounder
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 9:28pm
Ours started with a Fantastic Fan but when it went to the factory for repair, it was replaced with a MaxxAir fan. I had purchased a cover for the Fantastic Fan and did not want to throw it away so I modified it to fit the clips on the MaxxAir vent. It has stayed in place through several long trips just fine. Other than checking the Dicor for cracking and if so, cleaning with denatured alcohol and adding some self-leveling Dicor to fill those cracks, the cover is the best way to help keep water out of the bath.

We had some water in the kitchen. I am not sure if it was running in along the lower track for the leak by the refrigerator. When we put the slide-out in, I heard water dripping at the front of the slide. I saw some running ut outside but nothing inside. I am going to get this checked out next week along with brake service/bearing repack and having the axle checked.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 10:25am
Agree +1 to fwunder. Had the same problem as OP had and the vent cover solved it.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 2:05pm
Stephen, let us know what you find!
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
Kevinscamps View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 12:28pm
If it is leaking.  Fix the leak!!! and then put a cover on it.  Just covering a leak is asking for future trouble.  Easy fix.  Just scrape off the Dicor and reapply.  Make sure you put down a piece of plywood to spread the weight if you are sitting on the roof.  If you really want to do it right, take an extra half hour, remove the fan put butyl sealant tape under the flange, and screw back down, then apply the dicor.  Also allows you to dry anything that might be wet and/or repair anything that got wet if you need to.  I did this to mine recently, It took about a half hour since there was no additional damage.  Then I put a cover on it.  
 Post Reply Post Reply