R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTow Vehicle Recommendation?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow Vehicle Recommendation?
    Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 11:56am
I'll have to wait for a recession to slam the auto industry before I can think about buying a new truck.  But then my IRA will get slammed to, so I guess I'll stick with my Dakota and see how many miles I can squeeze out of it.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 3:48pm
I considered a newer truck, then couldn't justify the expense, I have two tow vehicles now and prefer the older 4WD. My odds of stuck are minimal and if I get so poor to worry about gas mileage, the RV would be the first to go. I have spent considerable time equipping my primary tow vehicle to do what I want it to do and starting over even with a heavy optioned 30-50K expense isn't what I want to do. I'm used to not having warranties and enjoy fixing things myself.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Ifishlbj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 12:31pm
Just pulled our 179 back from Port Aransas, Texas to Georgetown, Texas. TV is a 2018 GMC Canyon CC 2wd with V6. 13.5 mpg cruising at 65 mph. Very little wind. Strong head wind knocks it down some. We are happy with these numbers and the 179.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 1:58pm
Those are normal numbers for towing an rPod. You should get that with pretty much any vehicle with a modern drivetrain at that speed. That's because at 60-65 mph about 2/3 of the hp requirement is aero drag on the trailer.  For that same reason, you'll find headwinds/tailwinds will make a huge difference. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 7:15am
I say always drive down wind for the best mileage.  Don't worry about where you are going, just keep going down wind.  You'll end up somewhere.  Just  check the weather each day, and follow the wind direction.  Who knows the amazing places where you will end up. Wink
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 9:12am
Originally posted by lostagain

I say always drive down wind for the best mileage.  Don't worry about where you are going, just keep going down wind.  You'll end up somewhere.  Just  check the weather each day, and follow the wind direction.  Who knows the amazing places where you will end up. Wink
Best idea I've heard since they invented sliced bread. Driving into headwind? Turn around! You might discover something! Star
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 9:42am
lostagain, I think you're confusing towing with sailing.LOL How about we design a trailer like a sail/wing so we could tack to windward?  We could have a curved slide on both sides of the trailer and pop one or the other side out depending on the wind direction, or both to go downwind...
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by lostagain

I really like that,that way you would never late
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 1:24pm
Since the prevailing winds on the West Coast are from the NW y'all will wind up in Baja and then either have to stay there or learn how to tack to windward, just like the sailors do. There are far worse places to wind up though....
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 3:01pm
Offgrid: "How about we design a trailer like a sail/wing so we could tack to windward?  We could have a curved slide on both sides of the trailer and pop one or the other side out depending on the wind direction, or both to go downwind..."

Well, there wouldn't be much surface area on the sides of the pod, it'd be awfully cramped inside the air foil, and you'd have a hard time making shape switch from port to starboard tack with a rigid foil system..

When we drove from New Jersey to Dayton, NV, to look for a house to buy for retirement, I managed to hit headwinds in both directions.  It's just a question of planning.  The prevailing winds are often redirected by low and high pressure troughs and ridges.  If you want to go to the north west, just wait for a storm and catch the SE wind; a piece of cake.  If you want to cross the country, just follow the opposite of the winds we had when we drove to/from Nevada the first time.  On the east coast, it's common for an onshore wind in the morning and an offshore wind in the afternoon, thus go to the beach in the afternoon, then a couple days later, leave for home in the morning.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>