This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR Pod for a Family of Six?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R Pod for a Family of Six?
    Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 5:53pm
My wife and I would like to start taking our 4 young children (oldest is 8) out on more camping expeditions, especially while they are still young.  The problem is that, with our work schedules, it's often difficult to plan a trip that has everyone off at the same time.  Most of that is trying to pack and deploy all of the traditional camping equipment and food for six people.  Lately, I've been thinking that having an R Pod would make leaving for a camping trip as quick as getting home, changing clothes, hooking up the already packed trailer, and heading out somewhere on a whim.

I'll be towing with a V10 4X4 F250, so no worries about the weight.  I want an R Pod with the Hood River package so that I can take it out into the back country to do mostly open camping away from people.  As a Park Ranger, I have no use for the traditional campground experience if I'm on vacation.  I think I've narrowed my pick down to either a 180 or a 190.  I was pretty much sold on the 180 until the 190 came out recently.  My main question comes down to sleeping two adults and 4 kids.  With the 180, I planned to pick up an R Dome and have the kids sleep in that with sleeping bags and ground mattresses.  Is an R Dome suitable for that?  It looks like with the 190 we could sleep two or three kids inside and the rest outside in the R Dome.  If the R Dome isn't suitable as sleeping quarters, we could just go with a traditional tent pitched near the R Pod.

Any input is greatly appreciated!  Thanks!
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 6:16pm
I think R Pods are all small for your family.  It all depends on how you camp, using the Dome like you discuss may stretch it to work for now.  When the kids get older things will bet tighter.

The Hood River package is, in my opinion, a marketing package.  The only reference to off road is the description of the tires.  The diamond deck plate used to be plastic, and the components are the same as a regular pod.  You can take it on dirt roads but truly taking it in the wild will be disappointing as it comes apart.  Hood River owners go ahead and flame me, but no matter what your dealer says they are not off road campers.  They don't have the ground clearance, armor, skid plates, suspension travel etc.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 6:25pm
+1 to Keith. The HRE is a marketing package to west coast buyers. It is not anymore off-road than my old Pod is in TN.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Maticuno View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 6:41pm
The off road ability is a key requirement. Would I be better off with a No Boundaries rig?
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 6:43pm
My opinion - yes - if your plan is Forrest River. Pods are not offroad compatible.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Maticuno

Lately, I've been thinking that having an R Pod would make leaving for a camping trip as quick as getting home, changing clothes, hooking up the already packed trailer, and heading out somewhere on a whim.

My main question comes down to sleeping two adults and 4 kids.  With the 180, I planned to pick up an R Dome and have the kids sleep in that with sleeping bags and ground mattresses.

Wow - 2 things.

1. tents are fine. The r-pod is really just a terribly fancy tent, with electricity and air conditioning and a heater, but you need electricity for all that. Unless you get a generator, boondocking will be closer to tent camping than trailering. Maybe you could just spend $$ and buy duplicate stuff enabling you to tent camp and get out the door on a trip quickly(?). Also, before you get an r-dome, check it out. You will probably be surprised/disappointed compared to a quality tent. We like ours, they really expand the living space, but they are flimsy compared to a real tent and you should know this.

2. The biggest adjustment required, in my view, is to the cramped quarters requiring everyone to be very flexible as people move in and out and around in the r-pod. With 2 people, cooking becomes a dance sometimes, the 4 kids would be quickly banished to the Great Outdoors! 

However, compared to living in a tent, the r-pod is WONDERFUL if you have electricity. It has running water, a usable toilet,an acceptable shower, air conditioning and a heater, and if you stay at a park, their bathroom facilities can be used. 

The first time we fired up our heater while still in our bed on a cold fall morning was to experience real luxury!
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 7:18pm
Have a look at the new Quickset Clams with removable floors. Sure looks like a nice spare bedroom/dining room/play room.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Maticuno View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 7:54pm
I've been tent camping since I was a newborn with multi-week backpack trips in the Colorado wilderness. I'm not old by any means, but my back just can't take sleeping on the ground anymore. My thoughts are that the trailer would be the portable bathroom/shower for everyone, and the sleeping quarters for mainly the wife and I. The kids are still young enough that "roughing it" is fun.
Maticuno View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 7:59pm
And by off road capable,I don't mean serious overland travel. Just some forest service or BLM roads that may or may not be of questionable quality.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 8:02pm
There are some BLM "roads" that I would be OK takig our HRE out on, but may others that I would not. The HRE can do off-road, but only in the most mild situations.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>