R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy 110V Inverter installation - 178HRE - Event Date: 14 Oct 2018

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: My 110V Inverter installation - 178HRE
    Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 2:39pm
Earlier this summer I installed a Whistler Pro-1200 watt inverter to get more out our dry camping in my 2018 R-pod 178 HRE. Based in Colorado, I camp mostly where A/C is not needed, but I would like to have the laptop, TV, microwave, TIVO box, exterior lights (red Xmas light to keep night vision), blender and other creature comforts while being off the grid and remote. As you can see by this list, I need some 110V but do not want to have the trouble and noise of a generator. After a bunch of calcs and a few failed starts, I got’r done!  

I did not want to compromise the R-pod with holes by having the solution inside the TT. Having tested my inverter, I plan to use the std 30A cable with a 30A to 20A plug converter, without ground, into my inverter. To keep cables short, I elected to build a box for on top of the two battery cases. I first failed to find a right sized box and then failed to also build one out of PVC. So, I went to fabricating with wood using construction (not deck) screws, some simple hinges and sash closures. I got some really tight weather joints with this technique.

I started with a fir 2x10(actually 9”) to make a 9”x16” base to mount the inverter. I notched the end to have power cable inside the edge and mounted the inverter with room on all sides for air circulation, yet away from the edge to avoid wet weather. I also made notches for the power cables. Then, I built a 3-sided tunnel out of clear 1x8 pine. Sides are 7.5”x16”, the top made 1x8 pieces. The tunnel fits over and is screwed into the side of the 2” base. I added OSB doors opening up for more weather protection and use removeable boards to slide in and hold them open during operation. Door closures are on the bottom. Coated everything with outdoor house paint. Finally, the Inverter is connected to the battery with some 18” x 6AWG cables. When all closed up, it looks pretty disguised.

The base board between the frame and the box is another 2x10. I cut a 27” board with 3.25” notches in from the sides, 2.5” from the bottom to create a “T” that sits right behind the propane tanks. Metal strapping connects the box to the base. Two 1200lb straps tie the whole thing to the R-pod Frame. 
After a couple of trips, it works great! I get about 15 -20 min of microware before getting to 50%. I have my blender going, party lights, watch movies on a rainy day, and more. My 120W solar panels puts about 30 to 45Ah back into the batteries per fun-sun day.  

Below are some pics and additional commentary.

Note: Angle is not square to let doors fully open, a bit a plastic to avoid vibration damage to Rpod

Added block, center, behind board to stabilize against frame

Bob
2015 Chevy Colorado Z71
2018 178 R-pod Hood River Edition
 Post Reply Post Reply