R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThermal Pictures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thermal Pictures
    Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 5:14pm
Funny, I'm with you.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 6:38am
One thing I've noticed from using thermal imaging cameras over the years is that they tend to exaggerate the temp differences. I don't know what device was used for these photos but most of them now autorange the false colors based the highest and lowest temps seen in the image. So if the temp range is relatively narrow this can create the illusion that there is more heat leakage in some areas than there really is. 

Also, heat loss is calculated as surface area multiplied by temp delta divided by r value. So, a small element like a 1 inch aluminum tube in a wall might be a significant heat leaker but because its a small surface area it really doesn't matter much overall. 

This is not to say that rPods are well insulated, they're not, and won't be no matter what you do. Just consider the actual temp differences and surface areas and the effects of that before making decisions where to try to add insulation or otherwise change things. Go for the big hits first, like the reflectix in the windows. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 10:33am
Up until recently, the name of the game in thermal imaging cameras has been FLIR. Their lowest-cost cameras start at around $700 and go up from there. A lot. It's not hard to spend $2000 on a FLIR thermal camera. Way more than what I would be interested in for what would be a curiosity for the most part.

However, a couple years ago, a company called SEEK Thermal came up with a thermal sensor that can plug directly into a smart phone (Android or iOS). They market this for around $200, and it seems like direct threat to FLIR, who has also come up with something they call the FLIR One. It is around the same price as the SEEK unit, but has much lower resolution. Software may be another issue.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Kevinscamps View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 11:59am
The camera I used probably costs around $300-$5000 bucks.    We got it convince customers we know what we are doing.... Ha Ha Ha!

If you send me an email I can send you the picture files which you can read with a free program from Fluke.  You can probe temperature at each point.  The camera does autoscale, but the temperature difference around the metal framing is 10 degrees or more and probably a signficant source of heat loss.  For a house framed with wood and R13 insulation, often the thermal bridging bring the effective R value down to R8.  
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 12:16pm
Yep, I've bought elaborate equipment for that purpose too. If you can't dazzle them with brilliance then baffle them with.... you know the rest. 

I'll send you a PM. I have a 179 but the construction is the same and I'm trying to do some thermal calcs on it to estimate cooling load for an air conditioner conversion I'm planning. 

Thanks! 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Kevinscamps View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 11:19am
The door was a major weak point for insultion, particularly the door frame which has no thermal break.  I added I made the existing screen door into a storm door by adding a piece of 1/8" lexan to each screen section.  The cuts didn't have to be too accurate because the lexan goes almost 1/4" into the metal frame.  It works to contain my child and prevent her from ruining the screen door.  I will keep the bottom section in permanently and leave the top in just for the winter and spring for insulation.  I also added 1/2" foam stuck directly to the door frame.  It makes a huge diffence.  When it gets cold again I will take some more thermal pictures.

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 11:52am
Great idea. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 9:34pm
Was the thermal camera a high dollar camera? Looking at purchasing one for my iPhone.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
WinterSummerBliss View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 3:16pm
Awesome thermal camera pictures and analysis. Can you do this again on a cold evening? I'm curious what it shows.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12