Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInvestigating RVing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Investigating RVing
    Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 11:20am
Hi everyone! We have long been tent campers, but age is creeping up, and we're beginning to get to the point where that all seems a little too rustic! We've looked at pop-ups, but since our aim is to investigate cooler regions of the country, something with cloth sides doesn't appeal. 

The R-pod seems to us to be a great option, because we're only going to be using it infrequently, and we don't need much space. We'd also like to see if we can find a towable that our trusty Hyundai Santa Fe Limited can tow - it has a Class 2 hitch, a V6 engine, and according to the specs a 3500 pound towing capacity. I'm hoping to discover if anyone with the same vehicle has towed an R-pod.
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by abqdan

Hi everyone! We have long been tent campers, but age is creeping up, and we're beginning to get to the point where that all seems a little too rustic! We've looked at pop-ups, but since our aim is to investigate cooler regions of the country, something with cloth sides doesn't appeal. 

The R-pod seems to us to be a great option, because we're only going to be using it infrequently, and we don't need much space. We'd also like to see if we can find a towable that our trusty Hyundai Santa Fe Limited can tow - it has a Class 2 hitch, a V6 engine, and according to the specs a 3500 pound towing capacity. I'm hoping to discover if anyone with the same vehicle has towed an R-pod.

Hi and welcome - you might try an search on this forum, this topic has come up many times and the consensus is that a vehicle with a capacity of 3500# is not up to the task of towing an Rpod. We started our adventures of trailering for the same reason as you did - tenting no longer cut it for our aging bodies. We initially towed with a vehicle with a V6 aqnd closer to 5,000# capacity and it still seemed underpowered. Keep in mind that by the time you load up a trailer with all of your gear, water, food, etc you add considerably to the gross weight. Not sure where you live or wish to travel (i'm in Colorado) so hill-climbing is another factor. 

We traded in our vehicle for an older Lexus GX470 with a V8 and much higher towing capacity and its a much better experience all around.

Good luck with your search!
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 1:01pm
abqdan,

I'm sure you know this: Class II hitches are weight carrying (WC) hitches rated up to 3500 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 300 lbs. That would not safely tow a Pod.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
abqdan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 2:16pm
Thanks! We don't have experience with towing anything, so I wasn't sure where to start - the information online is confusing (for me at least). A lot of experienced people assume you know things you don't, so advice I've received before wasn't helpful. Anyway, good to know that what I can't do. Now to figure out what I can!
abqdan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 2:20pm
I'm afraid I didn't - but I do now! I've never towed anything - the vehicle came with the hitch, but I've only used it for a bike rack Smile All the different 'weights' on specs for trailers were confusing, and I asked at a dealership and they acted like I was a moron and shouldn't bother them with questions. Now I know I can't tow with this vehicle, I'll have to find one that can tow. So do I need a class 3 or something else to tow an RV like the Rpod?
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 4:20pm
I would recommend a Class III hitch, of course there is more than that and many here can advise, you are in the best place to ask with this group. Best to start with success.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 4:36pm
Welcome to the group!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 5:13pm
Just because you have a V6 doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't have enough oomph for towing an R-Pod. In addition to the number of cylinders, you need to look at displacement, horsepower, torque, and the transmission. Our 2012 Highlander has a 3.5L V6 rated to around 280 HP and it does an admirable job of towing our 179, even through mountains. It has a tow rating of 5000 lbs though; 3500 would probably suffice for some of the smaller model R-Pods, but I wouldn't want to risk it on the larger ones.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 6:01pm
We're pulling ours with a 2017 Santa Fe; it's not enough and we're going to replace it.  We need more power and I think a longer wheel base will give a better ride.  It's just ok on the near by rolling hills but it'll never make it in the mountains.  
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
broncoman_2000 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 10:50am
I have an R-176 and I tow with a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.  It has a 3.6L V6 and 33 inch tires.  The Pod pulls great with only a sway bar attachment.  The Santa Fe is close in size, but not in weight to the Wrangler.  I'd try pulling a couple trips to see how it tows.  If you feel it's not well balanced, you can upgrade the TV.

DWW
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>