R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedChevy Silverado Tow Package

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chevy Silverado Tow Package
    Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 6:05pm
I am having trouble with my 2016 Silverado tow package that the dealer has not been able to solve.  When I engage the tow package on the shift lever at times the engine will rev up ~ 500 RPM on a flat straight road.  At other times when I am pulling it uphill and it drops into a lower gear it will not reset once I have crested the hill and am going down, even when the grade assist does not kick in.

For those of you who pull with a Silverado have you experienced anything like this before? Or for that matter anyone with a tow assist package.

thanks for the help
2017 179
2016 Silverado Z71
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 6:24pm
Andy, are you talking about the tow selection switch that delays the overdrive for some amount of time in most cases? It basically makes trans shift at a higher RPM. My manual says it should be used when towing heavy loads. Heavy loads. I tow with a Silverado and a Pod and don't use it. Try this, without any trailer load, engage the switch and see what the truck does. If it does the same thing I'll bet it's better not to use. It makes sense that it jumps to higher RPM it is downshifting out of OD. On the downhill side it is looking for an RPM to upshift.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Andy

I am having trouble with my 2016 Silverado tow package that the dealer has not been able to solve.  When I engage the tow package on the shift lever at times the engine will rev up ~ 500 RPM on a flat straight road.  At other times when I am pulling it uphill and it drops into a lower gear it will not reset once I have crested the hill and am going down, even when the grade assist does not kick in.
For those of you who pull with a Silverado have you experienced anything like this before? Or for that matter anyone with a tow assist package.
thanks for the help

I have a 2013 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3L and what you describe sounds normal to me.

Among other things, tow/haul mode adjusts the shift points of the transmission to keep the engine operating in the "power band". This is typically lower gears/higher engine RPMs. The last "shift" we feel I believe is torque converter lockup and rarely happens in tow/haul. Also, the computer will stay in the lower gear until it is certain that upshifting is OK - typically, not as quickly as in normal driving mode.

Grade assist only comes on after a bit of time going down hill.

In short the ECM (computer) is doing the thinking for us. However, it does not have eyes and it "adjusts" within it's programmed parameters. I don't know which transmission you have but, my 6 speed has the option of "paddle shifting" (like an Indy Car or Formula 1 car). With this, you can always "grab the bull by the horns" if you don't like how the computer is acting.

I am wondering why the dealer is baffled by the situation.

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 6:40pm
David, do you use the tow/haul mode? I don't
Mike Carter
2015 178
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by mcarter

David, do you use the tow/haul mode? I don't

When I got my 2009 Silverado, I didn't use T/H. I also didn't use it the first year that I had the 2013. However, I started using it and have grown to like it. The engine turns less RPMs in normal driving mode but, as you know, lower RPMs don't always equate to optimal power or best fuel economy. In normal driving, sometimes the engine would "lug" a little before downshifting and the shifts, in general, seemed more frequent. Also, higher RPMs pump the transmission fluid faster - helping to keep temps down on hot days.

T/H also adjusts the alternator output - increasing for the additional demand of the trailer. This might be helpful for those that tow with the fridge on 12v. Normally, the alternator will "cut back" to "exercise" the battery (the dash voltage gauge drops to about 10) and run that way for a while. With the trailer hooked up, it would run for a LONG time in this mode - exercising the camper batteries also. I used to sometimes arrive at a campsite with batteries at less than 100%. In T/H the alternator outputs a constant 14V+.

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 7:18pm
Thanks David, appreciate that input. I agree with you Andy is experiencing normal stuff. I will rethink my tow switch use and test on the road.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by mcarter

Thanks David, appreciate that input. I agree with you Andy is experiencing normal stuff. I will rethink my tow switch use and test on the road.

Your welcome. However, to each his own. I got to thinking about the situation and decided that the trailer becomes "heavy" at highway speeds - due to the increased wind resistance. In town, I would not likely bother with tow/haul. Also, the battery situation was an issue.

I agree with you - it sounds like normal tow/haul to me. It's "different" and takes getting used to.

Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 8:32pm
Thanks for the information.  this is a new development with the tow package as in the past 9 months I've made 7-8 trips and used it each time without these problems.  It's a new development that's just arisen.  Also, when I didn't use the tow package I did not get any charge to the trailer battery. So I'm guessing it only sends charge when in tow package.  I asked the dealer about this and they did not know. So maybe it's the dealer!

I did drive it without the tow package with no problems except the charge.  I travel with refrigerator on gas option so it's no drain on the battery. We were dispersed camping in the southwest for about 3 weeks and since I use a CPAP i'm pretty conscious of Amps.  I have an 80W GoPower Solar panel that works well but nice to have a boost from the TV while on the road.

thanks for all the thoughts, I appreciate it.
2017 179
2016 Silverado Z71
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 1:11pm
Andy,

With my Silverado with tow package, I still had to add a 30A fuse to charge battery thru the trailer connector. The tow/haul switch had no effect.
Mike Carter
2015 178
wooleeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 7:13am
With my 2014 Silverado w/ 5.3L and 6 speed, I have tried towing both with and without the tow/haul mode.  I have found that my mileage is about the same so why not make it easier on the engine using the tow/haul mode.  I also appreciate the engine braking when in the hills. And I too believe that what David is experiencing is normal.
2022 RP-202
2016 RP-179 (Sold 9/2020)
2014 Silverado Crew Cab. 6-1/2' Bed
Golden Retriever (DOB 6/16/2020)
English Bulldog (RIP 6/15/2020)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>