R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrailer Brake Adjustment?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Brake Adjustment?
    Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 12:25pm
Here’s a question for all you towing experts out there.

I’m in the WV mountains. Just completed a 3 axle brake job on the Highlander and the 179 prior to departure. Adjusted and burnished per recommendations. So I have known good brakes on all 6 wheels, property adjusted. WD hitch adjusted per recommendations to return front axle to original unloaded height.

I have a prodigy p2 which I have set using the “mcarter” method to hold the Highlander from creeping forward on flat ground in drive. That resulted in a brake setting of about 4.0 on the p2. I too felt like the setup instructions to adjust for incipient lockup at 20mph we’re too agressive.

So thats the setup. Now the reality. After going over each of the 7 Appalachian ridges on my route there is about a 2000 ft vertical drop, 8-10% grades for 4-5 miles. Lots of 25-30 mph curves thrown in. A great test of a proper balanced brake setup I think. I drive very conservatively using mostly engine braking on these grades. At the bottom of each grade I stopped and used my ir thermometer to check brake temps.

Front axle brakes about 140-150F, rear TV brakes about 180-220 F. Rear TV disc brakes are clearly doing more work than I would like compared to the much more capable front discs. No dive loading the front axle due to tongue loading? Trailer brakes about 85-90F. Pretty obviously the trailer brakes are not doing squat. So I starting adjusting the gain up slowly on the p2. After the last downhill grade I was at about 6.0 and still no heating at all to speak of on the trailer brakes.

So my question for this group is should I continue to increase gain on the p2 until I see at least some temp rise on the trailer brakes? How much? Should I adjust the timing of engagement on the trailer brakes on the p2 so they come in sooner? Should I use the WD hitch to unload the Highlander rear axle a bit more to see if that transfers some braking load to the front axle?

I’ll be here for a week with intermittent internet access so will respond when I can. And I can continue the experiment over the same 7 ridges when I return home and will report the results.

Thanks!

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 3:10pm
The controller may be adjusted properly, but not quite level? The P2 has an inertia sensor that allows it to increase force to the trailer proportional to the braking required. I believe that it also has a "boost" function that changes the initial braking profile. Theoretically, you only need the boost with "heavier trailers", but those trailer brakes should be getting up over 100 degrees, and probably more than that after a long downhill.

Might be a good idea to go to a nice flat test area and just use the trailer brakes alone at 5, 10, and 15 MPH to see exactly how much braking power you're getting from them.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 5:26pm
What I got out of this is you have 3 different axle loads, and you have made temp measurements on them and decided the least axle load is doing nothing. All based on IR. We all know the most aggressive brake is the front disc. I would expect it to be hottest. Odd rear brake is the hottest. The trailer I believe and your controller is working, you set it to stop the trailer. When you did that it also produced a reducing action to the TV. It doesn't roll forward in idle. So it provides a resistance which is more than "squat". Have you looked at axle load on the TV. My suspicion is you are light in the front, very minimally. Also think about cooling. The front brakes may cool better. The rear brakes may cool less efficiently. I have found my trailer brakes do cool efficiently. Not a science project but without seeing what the efficiency is all the time hard to deduce.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 9:23am
I should have mentioned that ambient temps were around 75F so I agree with glueguy that at 85-90 on the trailer drums there really is no significant braking action going on there.

Mcarter, my thought is that the “no idle forward” adjustment setting does set the trailer brakes to stop the trailer, but that occurs with the manual lever at full braking, which I’m not getting anywhere near on my downhill grades using mostly engine braking.

Glueguy, i did test using the manual lever on the controller to stop the rig in flat ground and that does indeed work, and the trailer brakes do get plenty warm then, like 150-200 degrees.

The rear disks getting so much hotter is odd so I think I’ll try going down one of the grades with the TV only and see what the temp differential is then. That should either confirm or deny that that is a TV axle load issue.

The p2 does have a timing function which can be set so that for heavier trailers the trailer brakes engage first. But I don’t know if it actually changes the relative braking force. If it doesn’t then I don’t think it’s going to be the right thing to try to adjust.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 9:53am
Offgrid,

I understand what you are saying. I have a tendency to believe that using the engine braking does decrease the brake signal to the trailer. I like the idea of running TV downhill without the trailer, normally front brakes run hotter, that is reason fronts usually require change prior to rears. I own pickups and the front axle is heavier loaded than rear. Interested in results.
Mike Carter
2015 178
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 12:24pm
It makes sense to me that the brake force required (interpreted here as heat) would be proportional to the axle weight.  If the trailer is in the neighborhood of 3000 lbs (give or take) I would expect that to be more than any of the axles on the Highlander. Now, I have no idea what a Highlander actually weighs, so maybe that's a problem, but I would guesstimate that the Highlander is in the 5000 lb range?

I need to run a long downhill and do a temp check now...
bp
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 3:39pm
The engine brake seems to add some varibles. The trailer on flat ground, with manual or proportional brake seems to be fine. Not sure I get what you're saying about weight of the TV. The TV is heavier than the trailer guaranteed. Then you have to consider the weight transfer, with engine braking or standard braking. The trailer along with it's brakes doesn't work alone. It works ICW the TV.
Mike Carter
2015 178
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 4:58pm
That's certainly another variable. I know I engine brake as much as possible. On some of the steeper slopes around here, that's just not possible. I know I have followed a few people going down some of the steeper slopes (both with and without trailers), and when I start smelling brake pads, I back off in anticipation of near-future excitement. Sometimes I've even seen smoke emanating from the back of the vehicle. 
bp
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 9:32pm
Been there.
Mike Carter
2015 178
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 8:42am
Not familiar with Highlander but a trusted source told me it is not unusual for rear brakes to heat when heavy braking. Reasoning was smaller rear brake surface area and better ventilation on the fronts. I seem to recall rangers on Pikes Peak IRing brake temps and if the brakes were hot they made you stop and let them cool down. Not convinced there is a trailer brake issue, honestly can't explain. The TV is heavier and the trailer brake is proportional. I know when I step on brake I can read the brake signal increasing as I hold the brake. Interesting issue.
Mike Carter
2015 178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>