R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrailer Brake Adjustment?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Brake Adjustment?
    Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 10:17am
Ok, some specifics. RPod 179 weight loaded is about 3800 of which 3400 is on the axle . Highlander loaded and hitched is about 5000. That is with WD hitch engaged.

Some physics: for my rig the potential energy dissipated on a 2000 ft descent is
about 25 megajoules of which a large fraction is absorbed by engine braking. Let’s just say 90% goes to engine braking. So 2.5 Mj goes to brake heating.   Energy dissipated in a panic stop from 60 mph is about 1.5 megajoules all of which goes to brake heating because there’s no time for the energy to go anywhere else. So roughly 2x the brake heating in the descent than in the panic stop. No wonder brakes get cooked in downhill grades.

Let’s assume all the downhill braking energy goes to heating the brake steel. How hot would it get?. I estimate I have about 150 lbs total steel in all 6 brakes (I had it all in my hands last week). The specific heat of steel is about 0.5 joules per gram-C. So that’s about 75000 grams so the brakes should heat up by about 67C or 120F. That feels like it should be in the right range, but I’m getting not getting that evenly distributed right now.

Thinking about this some more i don’t think that the axle loading changes the braking action on each axle unless you get to the point of lockup or ABS engagement. Why would it, the brakes don’t know what the axle loading is. The amount of braking action required to get lockup will of course be higher the higher the axle loading. So the auto designers are probably designing the front brakes beefier assuming a panic stop situation where dive is increasing the front axle loading. Going down a grade slowly towing a trailer is a totally different scenario.

I’ll do the TV alone temp measurement today or tomorrow and report results.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 3:51pm
Offgrid, with all due respect you lost me. Way to complicated. The BLUF is the front brakes are designed differently than rears. They are larger and have better ventilation. If you look at your brakes the surface area should be obvious. I have worked on brakes for a long time, never got into the depth you are currently talking about. Sincerely hope you come to an understanding of your issues. I'd suggest a brake designer who can speak at your level. It's not scientific but known anomaly that rear brakes can overheat before fronts in a downhill descent. Also a known is there is a difference in the proportional braking of a hydraulic system vice an electric proportional braking system. Good luck.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 8:26pm
Moral of the story, go very slowly down hill and try to minimize the use of one's brakes.  Use the lowest gear possible to slow with the engine.  If the down grade is really steep and long, it wouldn't hurt to stop every so often in a turnout and let things cool down.  As with most things that go wrong while towing anything, stuff happens when one is in a hurry, so relax, enjoy the scenery, and take your time.  And if you're going to cross Ebbetts Pass on CA 104, go even more slowly both up and down.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 10:32am
Sure lostagain, but my issue is that I don’t seem to be getting any significant brake action from the trailer brakes. BTW, I’ve never been over Ebbets but have been over Taioga several times. I would put up a couple of the WV EW 2 lane highways in competition. The Sierra has one big 6000 ft or so climb followed by a big descent. The Appalachians have 8 or more 2000 ft climbs and descents. So maybe 2-3 x as much elevation change. 3 hours into the mountains and you’re still going at it.

Mcarter, sorry for the physics. Maybe the metric units are also putting you off. I just think in metric after 40 years, it’s so much easier. If only we quit handcuffing our young engineers and scientists with out medieval system of measures...

Anyhow, the point of the heating calcs is that I would expect 100-ish degree f temp rises on all 3 axles on these descents and I’m not getting that on the trailer brakes.

I did try running down a 2000 ft descent with just the TV but I don’t think the results are very useful. If I went down with the same speeds and gearing as I did with the trailer I wouldn’t have needed any braking at all so I just drove as I normally would when not towing. Brake temps were about the same on the rears as with the trailer but the fronts came up quite a lot so they were only about 10 deg F lower. If you get why that would happen let me know.

Sure the front brakes are much more massive than the rears. Thats because in a hard (about 1G) stop the 50/50 weight distribution changes to maybe 75/25, so you can apply about 3x the braking force on the fronts before the contact patch begins to skid. None of that applies to mostly engine braking while towing on a downhill grade of course.

Anyhow I’m pretty sure in my particular case that I need to increase my trailer brake action, somewhere in between stopping the rig on flat ground and incipient skidding at 20mph . I think I’ll try adjusting the controller gain so that the trailer brakes stop the rig on a 10% incline when fully engaged manually. That should increase the braking effort without getting to the point of skidding.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 12:12pm
Maybe you should just do a flat ground test and find out what setting on the TBC causes the trailer to skid? Find that setting, then back off a couple notches?
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

Maybe you should just do a flat ground test and find out what setting on the TBC causes the trailer to skid? Find that setting, then back off a couple notches?

+1.  This is what works for the rest of us.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 1:07pm
I know many folks have reported they never could get to the "lock up" point, also true for me, it would stop the vehicle, but never skidded or locked up.
Mike Carter
2015 178
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 4:31pm
Offgrid,

No alibi to me is necessary, I understand you are a physics guy. That's fine. My concern is I have never seen anybody adjust a brake by temp, especially in an abnormal test like downhill with an engine brake, and the knowledge that that environment increases rear brake temps. Personally I would never adjust my trailer to equal my TV, not only does it have smaller, different brakes, it has a different braking system than the TV. I don't want my trailer to stop the TV, I want it to "load" the TV and assist stopping. I think your TV is doing the majority of braking which is OK and it is exhibiting normal issues with rear brakes heating. So you lost me with a plan to make TT brakes work more, run hotter and somehow cool rear TV brakes.
Mike Carter
2015 178
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 10:41am
You also didn't mention, nor did I look up, whether your TV brakes are disc or drum, or the somewhat common disc in front and drum in the rear. Disc brakes will often dissipate heat better than drum brakes. As a result, the drums will heat up the surrounding metal more than disc brakes will. I'm wondering if you TV has disc/drum combo, which would explain the heat difference. Our F-150 has discs all around, and I would expect a different heat profile.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 4:53pm
Glueguy, Discs on all 4 corners on Highlanders. Of course rears are much smaller capacity brakes.

Mcarter, I’m not looking for the trailer brakes to run hot, just to show some heating to confirm that they are actually doing something under real world conditions. For me running up and down through the Appalachians is probably my worst case braking scenario.

So to report, at an 8 setting the trailer brakes hold the rig on about a 10% grade, but won’t stop it if it’s moving. For comparison 3 holds it at idle on the flat and 4 stops it. I also could never get to lockup on the flat either.

At 8 I still get no heating on the trailer brakes on grades. At 10 I got a little, about 90-100 deg driving agressively enough to be at about 200-240 on the TV rears and 180–190 or so on the fronts.

Interestingly I got this heating on the drivers side brake, the the passenger side was basically still nearly ambient temp.
The drivers side also showed more wear when I replaced the old brakes last week. Out of the (very wet from Michael) mountains now so when I get home I’m going to ring out my wiring. I tested the magnets so I know I’m gettjng current to the pass side brake but maybe not as much as the drivers. I suspect that might be causing part of my problem.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>