R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Concept for cold weather use of rPod water systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConcept for cold weather use of rPod water systems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Concept for cold weather use of rPod water systems
    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 7:12pm
How many valves did you install? Did you do a valve by the kitchen sink and another by the shower since (at least on the 179) one valve would not be able to serve both areas.

Have the motorized valves worked out better than solenoid valves would have? Are they reliable?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 9:59am
two valves.  one at water heater and one at the rear kitchen to allow a complete mix of hot/cold.  so far the motorized valves are great.  i like them better because they only power when switching and minimal power use to stay open and none when closed. 

so in my 182g, the cold line from main to sink and main to shower would get minimal recirculation, but are enclosed and in heated spaces.  i figured the rear kitchen water supply was vulnerable to freezing since it is not in a heated part of trailer and adjacent to a semi exterior wall. 

from Feb 6th 2019 post

the valve for recirculating hot water using the on board water pump is pictured.  The top valve is a normal closed valve that will be linked to an identical valve (not shown) at the rear of the pod at the rear kitchen.  these two valves are controlled via a thermostat to open when temps are near freezing and remain closed when temps are not close to freezing. the valves draw 30ma each to remain open, so they low energy and should be suitable for boondocking in colder weather.   The valve at the rear will be the mixing valve for the hot water to return via the cold water lines and dump into the fresh water tank via the overflow line when both valves are open and the third valve is closed (the valve at the bottom of the pic.). 
The valve at the bottom is a two wire reverse polarity ball valve that will be controlled by a DPDT switch mounted with the rest of the pod switches by the stereo panel.  This valve controls whether the fresh water flows normally (as in warm weather with cold/hot mixing at the point of use) or stops the cold water and then the other thermostatically controlled switches react to the temperature to open and close to circulate water to prevent freezing. This valve only uses power when opening or closing.  Once it reaches each state, it uses no power. the idea is to automate the cold weather function as best i can and be able to return to the normal configuration with ease.  Some of the valves are not easy to get to.  And, i still like the idea of having separate cold and hot water available when needed. 
I used pex fittings which are easy, but are not cheap.  They are nice in the tight settings that this has to be placed since they are simply push to connect.  more pics to come.

TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 10:15am
Thanks. That is helpful.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456