Topic ClosedStargazing Window

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stargazing Window
    Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 2:20am
     I added another fantastic vent fan to our camper we now have two for ventilation. Our Vibe has two windows up front but they do not open so for ventilation I added the extra fan and adds a little light to front of camper. The Vibe roof I think is constructed the same as the r-pod. I located aluminum framing and then cut carefully checking as I went to make sure there were no wires. I used caulking and Eternabond tape to seal roof around fan vent. It may or may not have weakened roof the vent frame has strength it may have made it stronger. A window for looking at stars I imagine would be larger, that would be nice at night but I think in the day it would add a lot of heat to the camper from the sun.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 6:06am
marwayne has added his very nice skylight where the aircon would have been, so that is in a flat and structurally strong aluminum framed location. David and Danette, it seems from what you describe that you may have done the same. I think that those kind of locations using a properly installed skylight/vent/fantastic fan would be pretty low risk for water leakage. If you wanted to add a skylight in one the wood framed curved roof areas that would be another story. 

The human eye is incredibly adaptable to varying light levels. You only need about 150-200 lux to read comfortably. Direct sunlight is about 100,000 lux, indirect daylight about 10,000 lux, indirect light on a cloudy day about 1000. That's why even a small skylight can brighten up an interior space so much.

Whether a skylight, vent, or fan is used will depend on outside temperatures where you camp. Unvented skylights aren't great in hot locations obviously. You can get shades for them for warm days though. All will add considerable daylighting, no need for larger openings in such a small interior space. 

I don't get the need for the big stargazing window either. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:56pm
+1. I insulated my rear window several years back, it was cold in winter and hot in summer. Plus I'm not big on sitting on the bed and looking out the rear window. My fantastic has a tinted cover on it for all weather use. And my other 4 windows provide light (when available)that is sufficient. I don't live in the tundra so my AC is a desirable option. If I wanted to stargaze, I would do it outside with an adult beverage and some repellant.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Mirado View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 7:58am
Originally posted by offgrid

Does anyone know hot to tell where the roof cross bracing is located so that could be missed?

I have noticed that on cool mornings our pod, sitting in the driveway, will be covered with condensation, except for the places where the supporting studs are located.  I can see every one of them.
Miriam and Doug
2015 Rpod 181G
Silverado 1500
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 9:00am
Cool Mrado, I’ll try that.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
ZuBrew View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 11:41am
Offgrid, 
With regards to mounting your solar panels; I spoke to a guy at the North East Rpod rally last month that used 2 sided tape. He told me that 3M makes a product that is specifically designed to mount solar panels. I did a quick web search and found 3M VHB tape is used. You may want to check that out. It saves putting holes in the roof.
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 4X4
2018 R-Pod 189
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300A
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 4:32pm
Thanks ZuBrew, 

I installed a 200 kilowatt (I think) solar array on a rooftop in Yonkers NY back in the 90's using VHB tape. Half of it came off in a windstorm and landed on the ground downwind. Half wouldn't come off no matter how hard you yanked on it. 

Pressure sensitive adhesive (PSA) tapes have been around for a long time. They can work well, but they are sensitive to surface cleanliness, dryness, application technique, etc.  Also the tapes are used for the frameless "flexible" solar modules which I don't want to use. I don't want to get into why here and start an argument with folks who are using them successfully.  

So, I think I'll stick with mechanical fasteners and framed glass solar modules. I plan to attach at the roof edges (probably to the top of the sidewalls into the aluminum box tubing there) which will both eliminate holes in the roof itself but also will put the fasteners in shear rather than tension which will be much stronger.  

Thanks again though for your suggestion though, I appreciate your taking the time. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 9:24am
If you haven't mounted and/or purchased your solar panels you may want to look at flexible solar panels that can be attached to the roof by silicone and you don't have to drill any holes in the roof.  I have mounted 4 renogy panels on the roof of my 179.
Jay

179/2019
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123