R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTow Vecicle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow Vecicle
    Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 3:36pm
I am currrently pulling my 2018 R Pod 180 with a 2014 Nissan Frontier 4 wheel drive with a V6. It has 261 hp. It's ok but I wouldn't like pulling it up into the mountains. It is rated to pull about 6,000 and my GVWR is 3,790. You would think that would be plenty of power but it still doesn't feel like it has enough power on steeper hills let alone a mountain.

I have been thinking about upgrading to get more hp and torque. The 2018 Canyon, Colorado and Tacoma have more hp and torque. The way to go would certainly be a F150 or a Silverado but I'm trying to avoid the full size truck to get it into my garage. Do you think a later model Chevy Cplorado, GMC Canyon or Toyota Tacoma would make enough difference? The new Ford Ranger is about to come out and it will have the best performance. It it suppose to pull up to 7,500- but I would pay a lot for the new vehicle. However, I would hate to go through the trouble of getting a new or newer middle size truck and it still doesn't make much difference. The problem is- you really don't know the difference until you actually pull the vehicle.

Thoughts

Trike Man
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 7:26pm
I pull a 2018 180 with a 2011 V6 Tacoma PreRunner. It does pretty well. Plenty of power, at least for me.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 10:16am
I have a 2016 V6 Colorado, no towing issues.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 12:58pm
We pull with a 2012 Highlander V6. It's a FWD. It does remarkably well except for the lack of traction when accelerating from a stand-still. We've had it up in the Rockies and Appalachians and only lost about 5 mph on the few 9-degree grades we've encountered.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:03pm
I tow an RP-172 with my frontier. I havn't gone into the rockies, but I've driven in the appalachians , the white, and the green mountains. The frontier has plenty of power, but, it does tend to get near 4000 rpm at times to gain speed up a long grade. I prefer to keep the rpm's below 3500, but, make no mistake, at 4500 rpm i can pass a vehicle going uphill, I just prefer to keep the rpm's down. Your Taco would be the same, so you should be good.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 6:14pm
Check the engine torque numbers. Try for over 280ft/lbs. Also try for  6 to 8 speed transmissions. It will make for a very good combination. If your new tow vehicle has a 7000+ tow rating, it'll do great towing any R-Pod.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Trike Man View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 7:21pm
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm leaning towards a Canyon or Colorado. That will give me 308 hp with a towing capacity of 7,000. Should be enough.
Woodmiester View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 8:15am
I tow a 190 with a Ford Explorer sport trac, V6 with a towing capacity of 5000#.  I believe that is just about max for that pickup.   I presently weigh in at just over 4500#.  I think that is just about as high as I would like to go.  Going up long steep grades, I take my time and keep the RPM around 3200-3500 and don't get in a hurry.  Most of these grades have a truck lane up and down, so I just get over with those guys.  Quite comfortable.
Swampfox
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 3:50pm
Woodmeister, our Dakota has about the same towing capacity and we also do fine on the grades.  I keep the rpm below 3600 as that is just about the max of the torque curve and also never hurry.  

We recently went over Carson Pass in the Sierra Nevada Mts. and there is one hill which requires a down shift into nominally 1st gear of a 5-speed automatic, with 3 shift positions plus an overdrive button.  We were in real second gear and pleasantly, but slowly made it up the grade with no problem.  [I know it was 2nd because when I pushed the gas a little too far it down shifted into real 1st.]  The nice thing is that you get to look at things you never get to see while driving.  We also added a transmission cooler just to be on the safe side, but I can't say I've noticed any functional difference in performance.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 9:15pm
You won't notice much difference in performance by installing a transmission cooler. What will happen is that the transmission fluid will not get as hot so it will be less likely to start breaking down and causing problems. See this link for details:  https://www.freeautomechanic.com/transmission-temperature.html
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>