R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTow Vecicle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow Vecicle
    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 9:36pm
we are looking to get an Rpod 179.  We have a Rav 4 V6, will that tow this trailer.  The tow capacity for the RAV4 is 3,500lbs.  
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 6:08am
IMHO - you are at 100% capability with this combination. I would not find that a good place, I'd like a minimum 5000 lb tow capacity. Have you looked at 179 specs? Have you towed with this vehicle before? Do folks tow with vehicles of same capacity, yes. You'll get a lot of opinions and options here, enough to make an informed decision. BTW - can you put a WDH on this vehicle?
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 6:37am
Here is a post from 2017 that pertains somewhat:

We recently upgraded our Rav4 to a rav4 v6. Hauled our 179 40 miles down flat highway. I am literally just walking out the door to trade 3 week old 2010 rav4 for a 2013 chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 4x4 vortec
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 7:01am
I agree with mcarter. 

The folks I bought my 179 from originally towed with a RAV 4V6, sold it and bought a F150. In addition to the issues raised by mcarter, their other complaint was the small fuel tank capacity. You will get around 14 mpg towing, they told me that they had to stop for gas about every 130-150 miles or so.

I tow the 179 with a Highlander. Same 3.5 liter drivetrain as the V6 RAV. Plenty of power, but towing is really not limited by a power, its a weight issue.  My 179 weighs in at just around 3800-3900 fully loaded for boondocking. You'd be surprised how fast the weight goes up. Manufacturers include zero fluids (no water or propane) when they weigh the trailer, and no batteries. IMHO, its misleading.

So, consider how you will be using your pod.  Will you be camping only with hookups so no need to carry water or larger batteries? Or will you be doing a lot of boondocking and need to tow with a full water tank and dual batteries and lots of supplies? The water and batteries alone would add over 400 lbs to the pod's empty weight. Also consider how much weight will be in the RAV itself and take a look at your gross combined vehicle weight rating to be sure that's not exceeded. 

The Highlander has a 5000lb tow rating, 550 on the tongue, and I run a weight distribution hitch and antisway system. The wd hitch is needed, I wouldn't tow without it.  The Highlander isn't overloaded, but I personally wouldn't consider anything lighter to tow a 179. 

Can you tow a 179 with a RAV4 without exceeding its ratings? Yes, if you go out light and are very careful about loading. Would it be a fun experience and give you versatility in how you use your new pod? Probably not...

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
McMayhem View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 7:43am
Thanks guys.

We were planning on upgrading to a Toyota Tacoma next year, but sounds like we might have to do that upgrade sooner.    
McMayhem View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 7:49am
No we will be dry camping as well as camping with hookups.

Right now we have a Chalet Arrowhead Trail Boss, and had enough no issues towing. The Rpod will be heavier for sure than the Chelet.   

We might have to move up our plan to up grade to a Toyota Tacoma.
McMayhem View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 7:51am
We do have a WDH on our Rav. We likely will be moving up our plan to upgrade our tow vehicle to a Toyota Tacoma.

Thanks,
Cindy
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 9:08am
Originally posted by McMayhem

We do have a WDH on our Rav. We likely will be moving up our plan to upgrade our tow vehicle to a Toyota Tacoma.

Thanks,
Cindy

Agree with your decision. We had a V6 Rav that my wife loved but we sold it when we got a 179. Originally towed it with a Honda Ridgeline (rated for 5,000 lbs towing) but it too was underpowered. Now towing with an older Lexus GX470 with a V8. LOVE this vehicle - a friend of mine tows a Casita with a Tacoma and is very happy with it.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 9:20am
The 6400 towing capacity Taco would be a great choice. I've had several and they've all been great trucks. 

I notice its max tongue weight is 640 lbs. I'm currently right around the Highlander's 550lb tongue weight limit with full fresh water and two golf cart batteries, but with only one propane tank on the tongue. Lots of folks prefer two tanks for boondocking, myself included, but I'd be close to 600 lbs then which is a bit higher than I'd like on the Highlander. You should be fine with the Taco but I'm sure it will continue to ride better for you with the wd hitch.

One other consideration on the 179 while we're on the topic of loading and weight distribution. The axles on the rPods are rated at 3500 lbs. If you're fully loaded in a 179 you're not too far off that figure. When you tension your wd hitch it adds to the rear axle load (about 20% of the tension on the hitch shows up as load on the axle). I've weighed mine with the hitch tensioned and I'm at about 3450 lbs on the trailer axle. So you don't want to overtension the wd hitch.  Just something to be aware of. 

Have fun!

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 9:21am
Originally posted by McMayhem

Thanks guys.

We were planning on upgrading to a Toyota Tacoma next year, but sounds like we might have to do that upgrade sooner.    

You would be a lot happier with a V6 Tacoma. We pull our rPod 180 with a V6 PreRunner Tacoma and it is a perfect match. Plenty of power for the job. Fuel mileage is between 10.5 and 13, so the range is around 200 miles on a tankful.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>