R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTow Vecicle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow Vecicle
    Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 10:49am
We got an OBD II link module, and can run any of several "auxiliary gauges" through our smart phone. It can display transmission temperature, plus many other things. A couple that I like to keep an eye on is the "fuel trim" and "Boost pressure". The fuel trim indicates whether the engine is sucking up more fuel (or not), and the boost pressure indicates that the turbos are "working". Sometimes, I can improve mileage by dropping down one gear to get the engine out of turbo boost mode.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by mcarter

For me I like to have a trans temp gauge. My 2016 has one and I had one added to gauges when I did the 2006 gauge rebuild. Great to have a cooler, but kinda of hard to know when it is actually hot without a gauge.

Good point. The new F150s we have at work have Trans Temp Gauges. I've never seen one get hot but it's always nice to be able to have a visual reference.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 3:05pm
For me I like to have a trans temp gauge. My 2016 has one and I had one added to gauges when I did the 2006 gauge rebuild. Great to have a cooler, but kinda of hard to know when it is actually hot without a gauge.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by StephenH

You won't notice much difference in performance by installing a transmission cooler. What will happen is that the transmission fluid will not get as hot so it will be less likely to start breaking down and causing problems. See this link for details:  https://www.freeautomechanic.com/transmission-temperature.html

This is a great article, thank you! I generally knew the upshot but this explains it well and simply. Another one for the binder. 
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 6:09pm
Pretty heads up to know how your TV is equipped, right.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 6:02pm
Woodmiester,
If by chance you don't know then you need to look into if your vehicle has a factor installed tow package? Because if it does then the chance are that maybe you already have an additional transmission cooler and heavier duty alternator that puts out more amps then the standard alternator that is sold with your vehicle that come with many vehicles that are sold with tow packages.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
Woodmiester View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 8:22am
Lost Again,

I am thinking of adding a transmission cooler also, just to eliminate future problems..  You are absolutely right about one thing.  "Slow down and enjoy the trip".
Swampfox
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 9:15pm
You won't notice much difference in performance by installing a transmission cooler. What will happen is that the transmission fluid will not get as hot so it will be less likely to start breaking down and causing problems. See this link for details:  https://www.freeautomechanic.com/transmission-temperature.html
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 3:50pm
Woodmeister, our Dakota has about the same towing capacity and we also do fine on the grades.  I keep the rpm below 3600 as that is just about the max of the torque curve and also never hurry.  

We recently went over Carson Pass in the Sierra Nevada Mts. and there is one hill which requires a down shift into nominally 1st gear of a 5-speed automatic, with 3 shift positions plus an overdrive button.  We were in real second gear and pleasantly, but slowly made it up the grade with no problem.  [I know it was 2nd because when I pushed the gas a little too far it down shifted into real 1st.]  The nice thing is that you get to look at things you never get to see while driving.  We also added a transmission cooler just to be on the safe side, but I can't say I've noticed any functional difference in performance.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Woodmiester View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 8:15am
I tow a 190 with a Ford Explorer sport trac, V6 with a towing capacity of 5000#.  I believe that is just about max for that pickup.   I presently weigh in at just over 4500#.  I think that is just about as high as I would like to go.  Going up long steep grades, I take my time and keep the RPM around 3200-3500 and don't get in a hurry.  Most of these grades have a truck lane up and down, so I just get over with those guys.  Quite comfortable.
Swampfox
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>