R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe tongue of the Rpod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The tongue of the Rpod
    Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 5:20pm

There are so many mods and pictures, it's hard to keep everything straight. I'm looking to buy a new Rpod 190 this winter, and this is what I want up near the hitch.

The power tongue jack
2 propane tanks
A two battery locking battery box
2 lithium ion batteries
a generator stand

Is this doable?

mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 6:39pm
Well Bradywan,

Almost anything is doable, but not without modification and fabrication. To me the power jack and genset stand are not an issue, one takes the place of your existing jack, the other mounts on but above the tongue. The battery box with batteries will have to fit with the two tanks. If you buy stuff that fits maybe simple, if not be prepared to modify. Number of battery boxes on the market and with the tanks is your plan to cover them or let them go commando? I could be wrong but I don't recall this many mods to tongue except maybe SH who has done some impressive work. Just as a side thought, remember you are adding tongue weight and good luck.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 6:47pm
I have a 2018 rPod 180 with the factory power jack and single propane tank. I added a group 27 marine battery and the tongue weighs in at 540 lbs. Two batteries, two LPG tanks and a generator would add Substantial Weight!
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 7:14pm
Bradywan what will you be towing your pod with?
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Awchief View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 8:05pm
ā€œIs this doable?ā€

All it takes is cash. Suggest you do some research on best practices for Lithium batteries. It not just a mater of swaping them out. They are temperature and voltage input sensitive. Biggest negative these days is their cost. An effective and practical Lithium powered system is still in the several thousands of dollars range. You are are looking at at least $5K plus. Not really cost effective in an under $20K trailer in my opinion. 
Michael
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 8:40pm
greetings
I fabricated a frame out of angle iron for mounting 2 tanks.  I bought a tank cover and made the frame so the tanks would fit under the cover. I copied the mounting used by most RV's and put a dual tank regulator  between the tanks.   I installed a power jack, and a group 27 battery.  It did add about 60 pounds to the hitch weight.  I agree LI Ion batteries just cost way to much.  I do a fair amount of dry camping and use a Honda inverter generator that I have been using for about 12 years or so.

Crankster78 R-179  2015 
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 9:03pm
In my opinion anything is possible if you put your mind to it. I have 2 batteries, 2 LP tanks, spare tire, electrical cords, water hoses, tools and other odds and ends up front. Generator rides in the back.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 11:46pm
Wow! That's quite impressive. How much weight did that add? Any problems with hitching up?
Bradywan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 12:46am
Incredible replies, thanks so much. Iā€™m still in the research phase. Tow vehicle will be a Chevy Colorado diesel.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 7:04am
I think you'll be OK on tongue weight on that TV with a weight distribution hitch. It looks from etrailer like you can get up to a 1000 lb tongue weight with the right hitch and vehicle selection. You won't need that much.

The Battleborn Li 100AH 12V batteries many people buy only weigh 29 lbs so two of those would still weigh less than what one golf cart battery weighs. Cost is about $950 each so for sure spendy but considering you can use all their capacity and they ought to last the life of the trailer maybe not so bad. You will need to change or modify your charger too.

I currently have dual golf cart batts and a single propane tank on my 179 and with full loading and fresh water I'm at 570 lbs tongue weight. With dual tanks and two lithium batts on the 190 (which looks like it is a little heavier up front)  you should still be about the same as I am.  

That leaves the generator. A question on that. What were you planning to get and why permanently mount it? You will almost certainly have significant noise and vibration that way. If you get something like a Honda EU2200I or equivalent you can run everything in the trailer (but not all at once). You would need an easy start device in the air conditioner, not a big deal to install. The Honda only weighs about 50 lbs. I just keep mine in the TV with a 100ft extension cord and move it to where it will be the least noisy for myself and my neighbors. 

If you're planning to do all those power system mods you must be planning a lot of boondocking trips. May I suggest you also consider adding some solar to your setup?  It wouldn't run the air conditioner but it would reduce or maybe even eliminate the generator run time in cooler conditions. If you're going this far you might also consider a 12V to 120Vac inverter to run any other ac loads you might want from the lithium batteries. Saves having to crank up the genny to microwave some evening popcorn! A 2kw inverter should probably do it.  

Have fun!

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>