Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew to Rpods 179 - Event Date: 18 Sep 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: New to Rpods 179
    Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 12:42pm
Hello all.This is our first time buying travel trailer. My husband and I are signing the papers for a new Rpod 179 on Thursday 9/20/18. We are buying from Bob Scott In Grand Junction, CO. We live part time in Moab.I need help. What should we ask for before we sign the papers? What should be included in price? Any ideas on how to get it tagged in Utah? Any ideas on insurance? We were offered advice that we should insure even though we are keeping the Rpod on the lot till April. We are going back to Philadelphia to work then returning.
Any and all help would be great. Thank you. I am so excited!
Laura Margolies
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 12:53pm
Definitely recommend insurance, it wont cost you much (call your auto insurance agent) and will protect you. Bob Scott is a reputable dealership, but the most important thing (in my opinion) is to spend the time with them when you pick it up and make sure everything works as it should - fire up the fridge, heater, ac, all water systems. Especially because it will be sitting until April. One question - why buy it now when you don't plan on using it for 6-7 months? Seems like you'd be better off waiting and then being able to take full advantage of 12 months of warranty. If you read through the forum, many new purchasers have had issues that need to be addressed with a new unit, and this way you're shortening the window considerably in which to find out what might need fixing. If it were me, I'd wait and buy it in April then immediately get into camping season and make sure everything is ok. 
Laurazala View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 12:59pm
We are buying it now because the price was much lower. As a newbie -we did not think it all the way through. And we are in a transition state in life where we may get it earlier . I know it seems confusing.
Do you think we should take it out even for a short trip before heading back eat without it?
Laura Margolies

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Laurazala

We are buying it now because the price was much lower. As a newbie -we did not think it all the way through. And we are in a transition state in life where we may get it earlier . I know it seems confusing.
Do you think we should take it out even for a short trip before heading back eat without it?

Well, if you take it out (which I would definitely do - even if for 2-3 nights) then you will have to get it winterized. If you are firm on getting it this year, then I would consider that. At least you'd have a few days to check everything out. Have you owned a trailer before? 
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 3:03pm
Welcome to the groups! Congrats on your 179!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Laurazala View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 4:02pm
Never owned one. Never owed anything like it. Always camped!
Laura Margolies

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Laurazala

Never owned one. Never owed anything like it. Always camped!

You'll love the 179 - bought ours in May and have been out 8 times this summer. There are definitely things that you need to know about before extended trips. Are you all set up with tow vehicle, brake controller, etc?
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 5:21pm
We've been on a number of long trips and some short, local trips. We have thoroughly enjoyed it. Plus, when we are home, we have a very convenient guest cottage. Big smile
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
ArenaBlanca View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 5:54pm
Ben Herman gave good advice on checking the systems.  I would also try to video the walk through.  I didn't notice what your tow vehicle was but if you are new to towing, you might need a weight distributing hitch and brake controller.  These may be extra $$$ but the dealer might install them for you.  Also, if you are leaving it on his lot, make sure they winterize it.  The dealer we bought our 179 from, handled most of the paperwork needed for getting it licensed,  However, ours had to be licensed in our state of residency.  New mexico require an inspection of the VIN number so I had to go to the DMV.  But the dealer supplied all the necessary paper so it took less than 1/2 hour.
Enjoy Life!!
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 9:01pm
Congrats on the new 179! I've been happy with my 2017 for about a year and half. I have a bunch of 179 specific videos if interested (link below), including winterizing. All the best!
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>