R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReplacement axle?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement axle?
    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 2:37pm
I don't know. Not sure what comment I would make. I have a Dexter axle and it's marked Surveyor. To date no issues with axle. I have a 2015 178. I do know it is a 3500 lb rated axle by the tags. If I was to order parts I would never check to see if another axle had the same parts to my knowledge there is no interchange info unless I stumbled upon it.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 2:42pm
It has been a few days and I got busy so I had not posted earlier.
It is interesting about the axle label stating 3500 lb when the parts support 4400 lb.

Looking at my tire again, it may be that the wear I am seeing is a factor of load rather than axle bend. Although the inside edge of the tire is showing wear, so is the outside edge, just not quite as much. We have had several trips on this tire. I had replaced the door-side tire due to what I thought was excess wear, so it has many fewer miles than the slide-side tire.

I jacked up the 'Pod to grease the axle and to check closer the situation. I noticed on the slide-side that the wheel has a very slight play in that I can feel a very slight movement when I try to move the tire right to left and up and down while the tire is off the ground. If what I have read is correct, this is normal. If I am mistaken, please let me know. OTOH, I did not notice this with the door-side wheel. The door side is the one where the self-adjusting brakes always seem to make the wheel too tight to easily turn by hand. When I grease the axle, I always have to loosen the brakes before I can turn the wheel freely enough to grease the bearings.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 3:02pm
Thanks Gents. 

My experience with wheel bearings is that a slight wheel play is normal but I'll defer to mcarter on this. 

StephenH, just for giggles, what axle do you have? Mine is Lippert variant number 165646. There is a really long part number as well, but Greg at Lippert used this variant number to look up the axle. Also, if I may ask, what load range tires are you running?

If the Lippert axles are really good for 4400 lbs, then the weak link is likely going to be the tires, right? I also have a bit more wear on the edges of my tires. I'm still running the original load range C tires. I keep them at the specified 50psi max. 

I'm really curious now what the actual loading is on the slide vs door sides on the 179. Anybody have any ideas how to measure this short of getting hold of an expensive load cell? 

Thanks
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 3:11pm
SH,

Interesting. I don't think you have an axle issue. It bothers me you say you have to release an auto adjuster to move a wheel and you have never reported heat. I think it is normal to see some play on the bearing with wheel attached. From a distance it's not easy to say why you don't see same on the faulty side. I am almost to point to come up and visit you in KY and see if we can figure this out. Sure we would have help. Let me know.
Mike Carter
2015 178
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 3:24pm
Offgrid,

Just thinking load bearing. I wouldn't worry about the slide on a 179 (albeit heavy) in a retracted position. Pretty much centered across axle load. The tires are a weak link but not substantial, always better to go with a better rating, in this case why many of us went to Ds vice Cs. My mere understanding of loads is once we retract, we center. A generality in trailers with slides.
Mike Carter
2015 178
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 3:44pm
Thanks mcarter.  

I was thinking also that the heavy appliances (fridge, heater, water heater), are also all on that side... I will for sure change out to D rated tires, Amazon has Carlisles for $50. Any brands you like particularly? 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 3:56pm
offgrid, tracking what you are saying, SH has issues on the other side???? I have Carlisles's but have read where Goodyear Endurance are also excellent, you will notice a difference with a D rated 14" tire.
Mike Carter
2015 178
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 4:01pm
The label on mine says Variant # V000165646. I replaced the load range C tires with Carlisle load range D tires inflated to 65 psi a while ago and have made two trips out west and at least 3 trips up north since. Yes, I still have not noticed any significant difference in heat between the two sides, even though the brakes on the door-side are much tighter. I plan on asking about this at the rally in KY since there should be a factory rep there.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 4:03pm
OK, let us know, offer to help is open.
Mike Carter
2015 178
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 4:15pm
I'm thinking that the rally might be a good time to pull the hubs and look at the brakes and bearings to see. Since they have the Lippert EZ-Lube hubs, I have not pulled the hubs off. I don't feel confident enough to do that without help.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>