R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReplacement axle?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement axle?
    Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 10:17am
Thanks offgrid, I will check it out.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 11:36am
Originally posted by StephenH

We've done two trips to AZ and NV, one trip from NC to AZ, NV, ID, MT, WY, SD, and returning through IL. Additionally, we've done three trips from NC to VT with side trips to NY, NJ, and PA before returning. One trip to the factory in Goshen, IN and return, and some shorter local trips both for camping and for service. A rough estimate is that we have over 25,000 miles on the axle. We have hit some significant potholes and a couple of curbs (low speed). When it is light, I will try to get some pictures of the axle and the tire wear.

I truly respect you for this post.  Several others have said that the axle was not suitable from the factory, including the poder that bumped ,over a curb at 40 MPH and wondered why it bent.

Fact is that roads are getting in worse shape every year.  People usig their Pods will eventually have this trouble.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 12:37pm
StephenH, I thought you had a HRE? Our HRE 179 has 15" wheels/tires. 
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 2:07pm
No, we have the Midwest edition since we live in NC. It came with 14" wheels/tires although it does have the risers that earlier model years didn't.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Hotcorner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 10:21pm
Are you getting your replacement axle from Dexter directly or through a middle man?  Mine is definitely not right on the passenger side of the camper.  For an exact replacement Dexter 3500lb #10 Torflex, I was quoted $425 plus about $150 to ship it to me from Indiana by the OEM Parts Store.  Three week turnaround.  

However, I would think 4200lb axle would be an improvement and could still run the same wheels.  

Brake swap should be breeze.
Matt
2013 RP-177
2007 Chevy Duramax CC
2009 Chevy Tahoe LBZ
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 7:13am
I too like the idea of a Dexter 4200 lb axle keeping my existing wheels. I have the same (I think) setup as StephenH, 14 inch wheels, 3500 lb Lippert axle. But, and pardon the dumb questions, do the tires and wheels also need to be upgraded to get a 4200 lb rating? Is it possible to swap the brakes from a Lippert axle to the Dexter? Is the Dexter axle a bolt up replacement or is some welding required?

Also, has anyone ever weighed the individual wheels on their trailer? It seems to me it may not be a coincidence that the drivers side tends to fail more than the passenger side, at least in the 179. That side has all the heavy appliances as well as the slide, it has to be carrying more weight.

Thanks!
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 7:18am
Many owners upgrade their tires to D rated or even E rated, (I do not think going E is a good idea, but that's just me) when they need to replace their tires. C, D, and E tires are all available in the proper 14" size.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 7:55am
OK thanks furpod. A quick look at etrailer suggests the 14 inch d rated tires are rated at 2200 lbs so that is a close match for the 4200 lb axle. Higher tire pressure and stiffness should also reduce rolling resistance which should improve fuel economy a little. Any load limit issues with the wheels themselves?

Why don’t you like the e rated tires if I may ask? Too stiff resulting in more bump loading? I certainly don’t want to shake the trailer to pieces...I tow on unpaved roads a lot to get to those nice quiet dispersed campsites in the national forests.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Hotcorner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:23am
Originally posted by offgrid

I too like the idea of a Dexter 4200 lb axle keeping my existing wheels. I have the same (I think) setup as StephenH, 14 inch wheels, 3500 lb Lippert axle. But, and pardon the dumb questions, do the tires and wheels also need to be upgraded to get a 4200 lb rating? Is it possible to swap the brakes from a Lippert axle to the Dexter? Is the Dexter axle a bolt up replacement or is some welding required?

Also, has anyone ever weighed the individual wheels on their trailer? It seems to me it may not be a coincidence that the drivers side tends to fail more than the passenger side, at least in the 179. That side has all the heavy appliances as well as the slide, it has to be carrying more weight.

Thanks!
You probably already know this, but the Dexter axles were installed on some RPod trailers from the factory.

I wonder if the axle itself is heavier on the 4200# or just the torsion spring. If it’s the latter, it won’t really help prevent bent axles.

177 is heavier on passenger side. Slide out, appliances, tanks are over that way.

I’m seriously considering trying to straighten it out and reinforcing the axle. Not much to lose but time.
Matt
2013 RP-177
2007 Chevy Duramax CC
2009 Chevy Tahoe LBZ
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 11:19am
Originally posted by offgrid

Why don’t you like the e rated tires if I may ask? Too stiff resulting in more bump loading? I certainly don’t want to shake the trailer to pieces...I tow on unpaved roads a lot to get to those nice quiet dispersed campsites in the national forests.

Because I also run in the Airstream world, and there, it's been proven time and time again that E rated tires transfer way to much NVH to the trailer. Many owners report losing interior rivets on a regular basis after switching, and once convinced it's the E rated tires, and they switch to D's, the damage stops. IME, this is one of the few places where, more, isn't necessarily better.

Another thing, make SURE your tire mounting place, if you don't do them yourself, balances them. Every tire shop in the country seems to believe balancing tires for a trailer isn't needed..

Guess what the second cause of lost rivets after new tires is.. LOL

and no load issues with the wheels, if I remember right, they are rated at 2000lbs or there abouts.. it has been awhile since I dealt with Pod tires/wheels, at least a year anyways. Remember, you are upgrading for more overhead, NOT because you want to load the R-Pod over 3500lbs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>