FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2010 4 runner v-6

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2010 4 runner v-6
    Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 12:21pm
HI Everyone,  

I'm a newbe and am considering purchasing a 171.  My real 'apprehension' to the purchase is whether my 2010 4 runner (sr 4 wheel drive) is up to the towing task.  Toyota puts a tongue weight limit at 242...and its rated at a 5000# capacity (though I would not dream of towing that much).  the reason for the choice of t he 171 is that it is the lightest of the rpods...which I like.  
Also,  the dealer i am working with swears that this unit does not need a distribution hitch and will install sway control...any thoughts on this would much appreciated....

Thanks in advance for your informed input...
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 12:25pm
Welcome to the group. We started out with a 171and really liked it. Originally towed with a Dodge Grand Caravan.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 12:37pm
I first looked at the 172 because IT is actually the lightest pod. Maybe not now? but then we liked the added no climb over in the middle of the night the bunks offer. I believe the 4 runner is a 6 cyl, and I would see no serious issue using that. I would make sure you have/install a tranny cooler, and trailer brake. I would think about wdh, which does distrbution and sway control. You will be running near the max weight that vehicle should tow, and you want to be sure you get some of that weight transferred to your front (steering) wheels. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 12:38pm
First, and most important, do you have the towing package? If so, you are set, if not, you'll have to get one added on. This is essential.

My Jeep Cherokee has a 4500 # weight limit and I have gone cross -country and to Yellowstone without a hiccup. You only need the sway control, and then only in high winds or you feel the need. I usually don't use ours, but I am very glad to have it when I need it.

The 171/172 class are without a doubt the best of the r-pods. Who in their right mind would put a big hole in the side of their trailer?? 

"There comes a time in the affairs of a man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation" - W.C. Fields
zen2b1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 1:38pm
I thank all of you for your input...I'm scheduled to pick it up next week.  I'll have to play it by ear as far as weight distribution and sway...and pray for good weatherWink
Larry-D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 4:12pm
We have a 172 that I pull with a Jeep Wrangler 4 door with a weight limit of 3500lbs.  Even though the trailer/jeep was level when hooked up, during the initial test drive I decided to get the WDH hitch and sway control due to previous experience with out 28' travel trailer I was towing with a 1/2 ton PU.  Your case is a little better with the Toyota's weight limit.  I think you'll know once its hooked up.
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 12:10am
You should have no problem with a V6 4Runner. Get a trans cooler if you don’t already have one.
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 3:07pm
Hi Zen,

I love bragging on my 4Runner. '08 Limited. We've made a few trips with nothing but great memories...

New Jersey to Big Sur to Olympic National Park across the northern plains and eventually back to NJ. Then to Florida and back three times I think, maybe four. Down to Murrells Inlet, SC. Up to Ottawa, Canada a couple of times and on to Prince Edward Island. Up to Acadia National Park a couple of times. Short trips to Boston, Baltimore, Assateague Island, St. Michaels, Md, Grand Canyon of Pa., Ricketts Glen, Pa., and just last weekend another driveway (barnyard) campground in Boston for a wedding.

Trust me, you will have no problem with your 4Runner.

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 4:25pm
Folks next to me at campground in middle TN, had a FR MicroLite I think a 25BDS, towed it in with a Toyota 4 Runner. Dual axle, 25 footer, no issue with the Toyota.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Wendell View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 2:22am
Originally posted by zen2b1

...am considering purchasing a 171.  My real 'apprehension' to the purchase is whether my 2010 4 runner (sr 4 wheel drive) is up to the towing task.

Hi,
We're towing our RP-171 with a '17 4Runner Offroad("Trail") and I'm very satisfied with it's towing performance. But what I'm satisfied with may be far short of what you expect. It slows down a  lot on the hills, although if I was willing to let the engine "scream", it would probably be able to maintain speed better. 

Our dealer said the state law didn't require trailer brakes (under 2500 lbs), but we didn't plan to tow it empty any farther than it takes to get home the first time. I would only accept a dealer's opinion with a "grain of salt".

I wanted a WDH (weight distributing hitch) because I like as little drama as possible while traveling. I suppose if I only towed twice a year and only a couple hundred miles, I wouldn't worry about it. But we did a 9000 mile trip last year and probably 4-5000 miles so far this year.

Have fun with your new R-Pod.

R-Pod 171
'17 Toyota 4Runner Off-road
Our R-Pod
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>