Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNo Warranty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Warranty
    Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 1:09pm
Angry  I was told by the dealer when I bought my R-pod, that my warranty was good anywhere in the country.  This is absolutely not true.  If you hit the road right after buying an R-pod you basically have no warranty.  I bought my unit in West Virginia, and when I took it to a dealer in Portland, Oregon (Camping World) they kept it for 2 1/2 months and charged me $118.00 for the "warranty" work.  We lost almost the entire summer.  I also do not understand why a bran new unit had about 15 things wrong with it almost immediately.  How does the selling dealer not pick up on any of these -- they were major items like the water heater not working, the bath exhaust fan not working, etc.  R-pods have a wonderful reputation, but so far our experience has been very negative.    
J Ken
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 1:40pm
I believe if a dealer won't honor the warranty that FR will reimburse you. That's not saying you'll get the full amount back: it depends on how much the dealer gouged you.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 1:40pm
The only dealer that is ever "required" to do warranty work for you is the dealer who sells it to you I'm afraid.

Camping World does often times sell R-Pods, as long as they were a certified Forest River service center you might be able to contact Forest River and have that bill taken care of for you.

jKen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 1:44pm
That is exactly my point -- when you buy the unit they tell you that you have a warranty that is good anywhere.  That turns out to be false.  I have contacted Forest River -- they don't seem very inclined to deal with it.
J Ken
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 2:57pm
You have a dealer problem.  When we bought ours the RPod web page discussed this and advised purchase from a local dealer to fet warranty work.  Our dealer also told us that warranty work was not available everywhere.  And all functions were checked out and demonstrated to us before we left the dealership.  Sorry you didn't have a similar experience.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 4:17pm
+1
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 4:51pm
This is not an R-pod or Forest River issue ... it is prevalent across the entire industry unfortunately. Dealers do not want to take on and do warranty repair work on units that they did not sell, period. There is the occasional one that has a good rep, but those are very few and far between.

Best advice ever given to me was to buy locally so that you had a dealer to go back to if there were issues (which we have never had fortunately). Dealers will take care of "their" clients first and foremost. It's just the way that it is.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 5:58pm
So you didn't buy at your local dealer, because you could buy somewhere else and save thousands, correct? Or did you buy, and then move to the other side of the country?
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 6:39pm
   We bought two Forest River campers a r-pod in Ohio in 2009 and a Vibe in Alabama in 2013 at the time we were living in south Florida. Both campers were repaired under warranty in Fort Myers Florida at a Camping World service center. The warranty covered all expenses it cost us nothing and the work was done within a reasonable amount of time less than a month perhaps in about two weeks. Things may have changed it seems companies in general through out the country are trying to save money how ever they can. The RV industry too may be making changes to save money by not honoring warranty work as they use to.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 7:29pm
Responding to several posts here: It sounds like the Pod was bought in WV and taken either on a vacation or a move to Oregon.  Why it's no longer in WV doesn't really matter.  All camper trailers are meant to be moved from place to place, often over great distances.  That's really kinda what their all about.  So buying in Ohio and wanting warranty service at home in Florida isn't the issue here.  The guy bought at home in WV (although that close to Crouch's... maybe he did buy it there.  But that's not what he said, and I think the assumption should be that he bought it at home and took a trip with it to the west coast.  Again, that's what one does with travel trailers.

I agree and want to emphasize that this isn't a Forest River problem, but one that's industry-wide.  It's really kind of ridiculous that a travel trailer made by a company with the dealership network Forest River has can't manage warranty repairs anywhere but at the selling dealership.  That doesn't change the reality of the situation for the OP though.

And another thing, what the heck is the deal with keeping a camper for 2.5 months for $118 in repairs.  From what I've heard, that's not too atypical.  If you took my truck in for warranty repairs and they kept if for 2.5 months there'd be hell to pay.  I know people often don't use their trailers for months a time but they also have issues with them while they're on the road....

$118 for repairs that weren't covered under warranty...  Well, I guess I might be a little miffed at having to pay, but I'd be frigging outraged that they kept my rig for over two months to do probably less than two hours work on it.  (There were probably parts and materials, right?)

I got my Pod used, without a warranty, and, knock on wood, I haven't really had any big issues that were beyond my abilities to take care of. 

It seems to me the OP has a legitimate complaint.  Given the reality of the situation, his complaint probably should be directed at the dealer who sold him the Pod, but, bigger picture, the industry needs to do a lot better about honoring warranties beyond the selling dealer and they need to do better about service in general.  Seems to me...

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>