Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOBX this week

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: OBX this week
    Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 7:53pm
Figuring there's no way to win -- if we go to the Outer Banks we'll be evacuated mid-week because of Florence, if we don't go it will be the nicest week of the season.  So, if you're thinking of going to the OBX this week, go for it!  It's going to be beautiful!!  We opted to go south, to Florida instead of into the eye of Flo.  It looks good so far for Florida and except for not getting to be on the Banks, I have no regrets yet about the decision.

I think we can get in to our favorite campground on the Panhandle and I'll still get some island attitude and get to ride my new fat bike on the sand. 

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 7:37am
Tars Tarkas, 

You made a wise choice. Beach at Hatteras last night was already pretty much inundated due to initial swells from Florence.  That will only get worse. Weather is beautiful like it always is before and after one of these things. 

Looks like a strong Cat 3 at landfall somewhere between here and Cape Fear. The funky 30 year old US GFS model has the eye coming right over Hatteras Inlet between us and Ocracoke. The generally better Euro ECMWF and new "experimental" FV3GFS US models have it further south toward Cape Fear. 

Either way, I'd expect the evac for visitors to be called later today, maybe Monday morning. 

One of our benefits is we have our vacation houses with us so we can just go somewhere else. DW works in property management and all the guests who have paid their $10K weekly nonrefundable rental fees are freaking out now. They have no good choices.  Some are still coming in today.Angry

I'm readying the "bug out" Pod now in case Florence takes the northern end of the guidance envelope. We don't stay on island when a direct hit from a major hurricane is forecast. I'm a stubborn old guy but not THAT stubborn Ouch

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 5:29pm
Tars, don't blame you! Florida can be a blast too!
offgrid hope all goes well!! Stay safe!

Hopefully it veers off. We will be ended down closer to the end of September.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 8:23pm
Yeah, Florida is fine. I was really looking forward to the Outer Banks though.  But it is that time of year.  Not going was the only sensible thing to do I'm sure. 

If it hits where offgrid says it's headed maybe it will put the ferry channel between Hatteras and Ocracoke back where it needs to be!  (I'll bet the ferries are lined up at both docks getting people off Ocracoke!)

$10k a week!  Holy crap.  And non-refundable!  Makes me very grateful to have our Pod!

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 11:47am
We had a Pod trip planned to Medoc Mtn SP just east of Raleigh...arriving there on Friday.  Unhappy  Ours was just a weekend trip though or else we would head south for a while.....guess we'll delay it to another weekend.  
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 12:25pm
The mandatory evac is on now for Ocracoke and Hatteras. They're calling for both visitors and residents to be out by this evening. Its a free for all. Raleigh is going to get dumped on as is central Virginia no matter where it makes landfall, so that won't be fun camping for awhile either. Latest guidance is that the eye will make landfall around Myrtle/Wilmington/Surf City but highway 12 here is so low that we're already getting some overwash at high tide. 

Most locals are staying of course, they always do. We're heading to the west side of the Appalachians, I'd way rather be camping in the mountains in the pod than sitting in Hatteras with the road out and potentially no electricity for air con. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 3:14pm
My fingers are crossed that this storm takes a right hook and veers off into the Atlantic, one can hope. The worse is if it hits in the Wilmington/Hatteras area and makes a straight shot inland towards the mountains. Right now all we can do is get ready then sit back and hope for the best. If I was back in the saddle again and able to travel I'd be strongly eyeing western TN or KY to bug out to for this storm.  
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 3:19pm
Wish we could escape somewhere but still have to earn the daily paycheck.  Plan to fill the water tank of the Pod and top of the battery.  Will start bagging extra ice for the freezer tonight and fill any other water containers we have.  Got to experience Hugo here in Charlotte in 89....lots of memories.  
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 5:53pm
Dave I am with you hoping it veers off to sea!!

Hope everybody stays safe!!

Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 8:54pm
Our favorite late winter/early spring spot the last couple of years has been Huntington Beach State Park. I was just about to ask you folks for recommendations up through OBX similar for next year. I hope and pray there are places that are similar after this beast passes. It is a beast.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>