R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPipe prep for cool, fall camping - Event Date: 04 Sep 2018

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Pipe prep for cool, fall camping
    Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 3:22pm
Prepping for a fall trip into the Colorado mountains, I reflected back to my April trip to the Utah desert where we awoke to 23F and a nearly frozen water line. (after running the water for a few seconds, the sluggish, part frozen of the line came clear and the warmer water in the fresh tank prevailed. Temps then rose well above freezing in a short while.

As I prepare for this trip, just above 10,500’, I am expecting a small chance of encountering freezing temps for a few hours before temps return to daytime highs in the 50s. I expect with the hot water heater left on overnight, and the temp inside the Rpod 178 staying above 45F, inside plumbing should be safe, but the few exposed pipes under the cabin need to be addressed.
Pretty simple, I enclosed the feed hose from fresh water tank with ¾“ hot water rubber insulation tubing and duct tape. I covered the hose to the black water spray with same. Where piping was not easily covered, I put at least 1-2” of spray insulation and fill any gaps at the end of the insulation tubing. I also placed a bit of insulation behind the outdoor shower cover.

Anything else one should consider enduring 4-5 hours of mid to high 20Fs?

Also interesting, I thought I push some air into the black water spray inlet to push any water in the lines into the tank – being it seems to have its own, separate piping to the tank. To my surprise, when released the compressed air side from inlet, I got a good back splash of clear (thankfully) water. The tanks was empty, but still surprising. Does anyone know if there is a back-flow valve in place? How does one winterize that line?  

Thanks! Bob 
Bob
2015 Chevy Colorado Z71
2018 178 R-pod Hood River Edition
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 3:26pm
During the fall we frequently camp where night time outside temperatures drop to the mid 20's at night (sometimes lower) and we have never had any problems. It is important that the day time temperatures get up to the mid 40's. 

Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 4:31pm
I'm looking into putting some pipe insulation - that black foam stuff - on the pipe between the fresh water tank and where it enters into the floor.  It's exposed and doesn't have much volume.  The tank should be ok b/c there's lots of expansion room if it gets a little icy.  As for black and gray, same thing, lots of room for expansion and not a lot of tight spots.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Blender Bob

I am expecting a small chance of encountering freezing temps for a few hours before temps return to daytime highs in the 50s. 

This subject comes up every fall and spring.

The most important fact is that water EXPANDS about 9% when it freezes. Once it expands, that's it, it doesn't expand more. However, that expansion is not good for pipe connections.

It has been shown numerous times, and it happened ONCE with me, temps in the hi 20's overnight, if the daytime temps are above freezing, say in the 40s, do not cause noticeable damage to the r-pod's pipes. (Note I say 'noticeable'.) That expansion certainly did something, though. 

Apparently, there are pipe connections deeper in the r-pod, where it takes a little longer for the water to freeze because of residual daytime heat, and there we find that frozen pipes DO cause damage. 

Hello, that is why we winterize.

Being risk-averse, if I know the temperature will be below the hi 20's, I winterize. My r-pod may not freeze at mid-20's overnite, but I am not much of a gambler. That's just me. 

Ala Clint Eastwood, "Are you feeling lucky?"
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 3:43pm
If you are really concerned, just pull the plugs on the waterlines at night.
 Post Reply Post Reply