Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew e-bike

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New e-bike
    Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 9:13pm
We're headed for the Outer Banks soon so I pulled the trigger on a new e-bike from Rad Power Bikes -- a fat tire Rad Rover.  Just arrived yesterday.  I got it put together and checked it out a little bit.  Today I took an 18 mile road tour.  Wow!  This is going to be great on the beach!  Around here the terrain is pretty hilly but I had plenty of power to do over 18 miles with some pretty significant changes in elevation.  Nothing like the Smokies or Rockies, of course, but not the kind of terrain this old man would care to do on a purely human powered bike.  The e-bike can cruise with no pedal power but it's range is greatly extend the more you pedal.  Hills are especially stressful on the battery unless you do your part, but, depending on the settings, it the amount of human effort can be greatly lessened. 

It seems like cheating, but it depends on why you want to be on the bike.  You can, and almost have to get some exercise on an e-bike, but you can also get out in nature and go places you might not otherwise.  It essentially silent too.

Where we camp at OBX is one of the National Park campgrounds that has no hookups.  We've been there many times before and have no had no issues previously.  We have 100 amps of solar and a small, quiet generator that we use prudently.  (The campground is not really dispersed but people aren't right on top of each other.  It's even less crowded after Labor Day.)  I'm wondering how much trouble it's going to be to keep the bike battery topped up.  It has 48v, 14 Ah (672Wh) lithium-Ion battery.  It has charger that draws 120 amps at 120 v.  I'm wondering how much trouble I'm going to have keeping the battery charged.

I know it's not the most efficient way to go, but I run the solar to the battery and hook up a 200 watt inverter and I already keep a couple of 20v DeWalt batteries topped off (in addition to keeping the Pod battery charged.  How much is it going to draw down the Pod battery if I plug in the bike charger while using solar?  It takes 3 to 5 hours to charge a depleted bike battery.

Per the rules, I can run the generator at least 14 hours a day, so I have that to fall back on, but I'd like to keep the generator use as low as I can.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 5:27am
Tars Tarkas,

I think you probably meant the charger takes 120 watts (not amps) at 120V? Assuming 80% efficiency for the charger, that would be about 7 hours to recharge your ebike assuming you fully depleted it.  

Longer than you really want to run your genny so using the little 200 watt inverter is a good idea. Have you confirmed it can handle the ebike charger? 

So if you use your inverter for 7 hours to run your 120 watt ebike charger, you will consume (lets assume it also runs at about 80% efficiency) about 87 amphours from your battery. That will take maybe 3-4 hours of generator runtime to replace depending on the battery state of charge. 

You probably get about 30 amphours a day from your solar array so your ebike is adding a lot of load to your system, but nothing your genny can't handle. This assumes you're fully discharging your bike which is probably not really the case.

BTW, which campground are you staying at? If its Frisco you'll be about 5 miles from me (I live in Hatteras Village).  So if you run down your ebike and can't get back to camp ping me and I'll give you a ride. Hope you don't mind hot weather, it hasn't broken here yet. Been cooking hot the last few days. Also, keep and eye on Florence, the hurricane models have it near the OBX around 12 Sept. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 5:37am
Sounds great!! We will be headed down in a Couple weeks! Cant wait!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 6:34am
I hope you have a great trip Leo we will look forward to an in-depth report when you get back.

Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
Ghosthawk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 7:03am
I bought my first electric scooter in june last year. Now I have no idea how many miles I have on that scooter. But for most days over 50 degrees in the last year my dog and I have gone for runs/rides of 5-6 blocks 1-5 times a day. Dog LOVES it,  Frankly so do I.

I paid 600$ for the first one, charge it maybe once every 3 weeks. Normally when I charge it, it has half a charge remaining. But power/zip is starting to drop.

I ride mine on quiet back streets, sidewalks of busy streets. I pull over/stop to give pedistrians the right of way. Some common sense is required.

This spring I bought a second one for my wife, we will be bringing them with us camping.

Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 8:40am
Thanks offgrid.  It sounds like my plan is pretty doable.  I don't think I'm ever likely to totally deplete the battery so maybe I won't have to use the generator much more than I do anyway.  Yeah, I'm sure the chargers is 120 watts, not amps.

Thanks for the news about Florence. Unhappy  Not what I wanted to hear, of course.  The one thing about it that I just looked at indicates it could head to Labrador or the Bahamas and the East Coast.  I'll hope for Labrador.

Yeah, we almost always stay at Frisco.  To my mind its the best, by far, of the NP campgrounds on the Banks.  None of the others have any terrain, except maybe Okracoke, but it (Ocracoke) tends to be full of mosquitoes.  We can usually find an isolated spot at Frisco.  At all of the other campgrounds, with some exceptions at Ocracoke, you're out in the open and everyone can see everyone else, even if you don't have to worry about hitting someone else's camper when you let your slide out.  Plus, I really like the neighborhood.  The north end of the Banks is so frigging crowed! 

Lack of hookups is a slight drawback, but the pod has holding tanks and I have a generator, so we get by just fine.

They change the speed signs this week or next don't they?

So what do you think are the best restaurants between Hatteras and Buxton (inclusive)?

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 10:50am
If you haven't already, just check to make sure your inverter will actually run the bike charger, lots of those little inverters are optimistically rated. Leave it on for awhile to be sure nothing overheats. 

Yeah, Florence could still go anywhere, its 10 days away. Not suggesting you worry about it yet, just be aware.  The next 4-6 weeks is peak hurricane season after all.  When a hit or near miss is expected the county calls a mandatory evacuation for all island visitors.  Most locals stay. 

If you live out here you become a hurricane weather model addict. I like the Euro ECMWF global weather model the best, you can get it and the US GFS model here:

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/

Spring and fall we often camp locally at either Frisco or Ocracoke. Not this time of year, DW refuses without air conditioning. We head to the mountains instead. 

Ocracoke gets lots of mosquitoes unless there is a good breeze, Frisco has lots of ticks in the spring. Just part of life on the OBX. Usually we go to Ocracoke just because its a little away from home, and if we can get a ocean side campsite there is some privacy and a short walk to the beach. 

We tend to stay right here in Hatteras Village when we eat out, which isn't very often. I like Hatteras Sol for dinner down by Teach's Lair (toward the ferry docks) and Sonny's right in Hatteras Village for breakfast. If you do make a day trip down to Ocracoke while you're here there is a great take out Thai restaurant there, Thai Moon. 

Have a great trip!

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 10:57am
Thai while boondocking..

Bold sir, very bold.

LOL
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 11:58am
Ha Ha. Its not actually boondocking. Just dry camping. So not to worry, there are bathrooms and (worst case scenario Dead) showers available. Or you can just go hang out in the ocean, but please stay down current from the other campers LOL
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 3:46pm
Ronahue, will do. You still plan ni g a trip to Alaska for next year?
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>