R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRunning refrigerator on propane while driving

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running refrigerator on propane while driving
    Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 2:18pm
Is there gas in that tank? Here, I have a match...
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 5:58pm
I say drive with your refer powered by propane if it's what you want to do and drive with it powered the battery if that makes you feel better.  Odds are, you'll get there all the same.  

The point is don't spend so much time worrying about all the things that could theoretically go wrong.  Go out and have some fun and if you catch fire and die along the way, at least you were doing what you liked to do.  It beats death in a rest home connected to a feeding tube.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by lostagain

It beats death in a rest home connected to a feeding tube.
Cry Oh my. Now there's an image that I didn't expect here.
bp
Ghosthawk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 7:26am
"The point is don't spend so much time worrying about all the things that could theoretically go wrong.  Go out and have some fun and if you catch fire and die along the way, at least you were doing what you liked to do.  It beats death in a rest home connected to a feeding tube."

This ^ exactly this!

Life is a risk, a long series of them.
Try to moderate the ones that make you nervous. Live with the ones that don't.

Its your pod, your life, you decide.

But for me, I'm going to be LIVING it.  Your Mileage May Vary. (YMMV)
HockeyDave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 9:45pm
I love the spirit of freedom here!  "It's your pod, your life, you decide."  100% agree.  

Just gather as much information as you feel appropriate, then make your decision.  However, the next step is Take Responsibility For Your Decision.  That's part of freedom.  

If I'm sitting on a jury on a case where someone was badly burned in a trailer fire while running their reefer on propane while driving and they are trying to sue the trailer manufacturer or whoever, they will not get a pity verdict from me.  Their pod, their life, their decision, their responsibility!
Hockey Dave
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 6:27am
Let me know when this trial happens.  I can find no reference to even one instance of this, and in our law suit happy culture if it happened I mam sure we would have heard about it.  Nearly all RVs with larger fridges and freezers rund down the road with their fridges on LP, or the choice is to turn them off and you know they don't.  Show me the fires.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 8:41am
So, Hockey, if the fire starts from an electric fault in the fridge wiring, you'll be ok with that?  And you will decide the case in favor of the pod owner because he'll gain your pity?  ...even though there are way more fires from faulty electric systems and even though the instructions from the judge will specifically tell you to decide the case on the facts and not let pity, passion, or prejudice influence your decision.

Be sure to tell the judge during jury selection what you said here.  I can guarantee you, you'll have a very short time in the jury panel and will quickly be sent packing.

Personally, if I were concerned about a gas malfunction in the fridge starting a fire, I wouldn't sleep in the dang trailer.  How is it more likely that a fire will start while driving vs. parked in your favorite desert camp site with the fridge's burner blazing away trying to keep the stuff in the icebox cold?  

The real issue is whether running the fridge on gas while refueling constitutes and undue hazard that is greater than the hazard created by electric sparks that could ignite a concentration of gas vapor sufficient to support combustion in the area of the gas pumps.  In that regard, static electricity passed from the gas nozzle to the filler port on the car is a much greater risk.  

As for bridges and tunnels, the reason for concern about propane in those areas is not a pretty confined flame causing a fire, but rather a collision causing a rupture of the tank or piping and releasing propane into the crash site.  If it was the open flame that was the danger, then electric sparks, and smoking would also be prohibited, thus we could never use bridges and tunnels because that is impossible to control.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
SC for Huskers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 10:29am
Seems as if this thread is going on forever and ever.  How about getting a block of dry ice at a local Walmart or grocery store?  No TV battery, no propane, everybody happy and living to see another trip.  Big smileBig smileBig smile
Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 11:33am
This is one of those things that will never die. Sort of like whether it's live or Memorex.
bp
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 12:54pm
or the line from the song from the 60's:  How can I miss you when you won't go away?
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>