R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRunning refrigerator on propane while driving

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running refrigerator on propane while driving
    Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by lostagain

The super gigantic ones turn slowly, but the ones from the 90's that they put on Altamont Pass that had a diameter of about 20 or 30 feet proved to be very dangerous to avian species.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altamont_Pass_Wind_Farm
Those have been slowly getting replaced with the larger ones. They really turn slowly. The last time we were driving up Vasco Road (just a teeny bit west of Altamont), I was watching the S_L_O_W turn of a couple of those turbines. They take several seconds to make just one rotation. Just guessing they were turning at maybe 5 or 10 RPM. These are really big suckers; probably generating 1-5 Megawatts each. The generator/turbine itself is as big as a house.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 1:12pm
But they're so big they're easy to see and avoid.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Mirado View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

The birds that get nailed by wind turbine blades are being killed by the big ones.  If the little sailboat sized wind generators were killing birds, marinas would be filled with the carcasses of dead seagulls.  There doesn't seem to be a problem in that regard.
It's actually the smaller ones that are dangerous to birds. Mainly because they have to spin faster. The gigantic ones turn very slowly, and birds easily fly around those slow-turning blades.

I think the tips of those slow-turning blades are moving at about 100 miles per hour.
Miriam and Doug
2015 Rpod 181G
Silverado 1500
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 12:33pm
We often bring along our 55qt. Lifetime ice chest, which works every bit as well as Yetti and the other high priced units.  We got it at Walmart for under $100.  It's a great supplement to the fridge and helps leave room for ice cream.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 12:10pm

But I still like my idea of mounting a sailboat wind generator on the fore or aft, depending on the aesthetics, of the roof of the Pod.  Who cares if it really works.  It would really look incredibly cool.

Cool is cool! And I still love my YETI(*) and will never go on a road trip without it. (*) I bought ours when they were the only game in town. Now you can apparently get equivalent functionality for less money but I haven't done that research personally since I don't anticipate needing to buy another one. I once left ours filled with ice on our front porch in the summer and the ice lasted just about two weeks. Just thought I'd add this option to the mix since no matter what fridge or power we use in our RPod (we have the fridge that came with it and are happy with it) I'll always have an ice chest in our TV. Let's hear it for multiple approaches! Smile
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 11:16am
The super gigantic ones turn slowly, but the ones from the 90's that they put on Altamont Pass that had a diameter of about 20 or 30 feet proved to be very dangerous to avian species.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altamont_Pass_Wind_Farm

Not only are the super gigantic ones easier on fowl, they're a lot more efficient too.  

As for the little ones with a diameter of about 2', they've not been a problem for birds.  They spin really fast and are an obvious hazard just like a Pod hurtling down the highway at 88 feet per second.

In order to make one more functional with a Pod, it seems to me that the system needs a 2 speed set up so as to not overspin the alternator:  one for when the Pod is at rest and the other when the Pod is being towed on the interstate.  It also would need something to avoid overcharging, but that technology is in common use so it's no big deal.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 11:03am

The birds that get nailed by wind turbine blades are being killed by the big ones.  If the little sailboat sized wind generators were killing birds, marinas would be filled with the carcasses of dead seagulls.  There doesn't seem to be a problem in that regard.
It's actually the smaller ones that are dangerous to birds. Mainly because they have to spin faster. The gigantic ones turn very slowly, and birds easily fly around those slow-turning blades.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
HockeyDave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 10:19am
I love all the responses. They might be boring to the long-timers, but for this newbie, they are both entertaining and informative! Even the sarcastic ones...
Hockey Dave
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 9:51am

But I still like my idea of mounting a sailboat wind generator on the for or aft, depending on the aesthetics, of the roof of the Pod.  Who cares if it really works.  It would really look incredibly cool.

How many birds would you hack to pieces with your whirly gig?Star

Probably none.  I have yet to hit a bird with the TV or Pod since they seem to fly clear of moving vehicles and the wind generator would not likely add to the threat.  The birds that get nailed by wind turbine blades are being killed by the big ones.  If the little sailboat sized wind generators were killing birds, marinas would be filled with the carcasses of dead seagulls.  There doesn't seem to be a problem in that regard.

And like I said, if it's a game bird, as long as you serve it in a nice sherry sauce.....
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 8:43am
I just returned from a trip to Montana, drove over 1000 miles (16 hours total driving time) with my RPod 177 refrigerator on propane while traveling, and had not one issue with it.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>