R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnother Converter Bites The Dust

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Converter Bites The Dust
    Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 8:05pm
Well, I guess I should feel lucky. My converter lasted 2 years. My 2016 RP 180 came with the WFCO 8955 distribution center. I replaced the 55 amp converter with the Progressive Dynamics 9260 CV. I wasn't real happy with the fit in the original space so I moved it out under the seat to give it a little more room to breathe. 
     In the attached picture you can see where I hard wired a 110 receptacle to plug it in to. Most of the people I saw during my research just put a female end onto the wires from the other converter. I had to move some wiring around a little bit but no big deal. I also replace the #8 wire from the converter to the distribution panel with #6. 
     My next project will be to replace all of the #6 wire from the batteries to the charger and panel. Some of you may be saying "WTF" but my goal is to cut down on the time I have to run my generator to recharge the batteries after a night of running a CPAP machine while off the grid. I would use #2 but I don't think I could get it into the existing panel.
     Yeah, I might be crazy but that is the fun of having an Rpod!

2016 180 HRE
2014 Tacoma
Taylor 210 CSE
Bose L1 Model II
2008 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Classic
Lear111 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 8:01am
I am confused why you chose this model converter. The progressive dynamics website clearly states the PD4655 is the replacement for the WFCO 8955. Fits perfectly in its slot and no need for rewiring. I finally switched mine and am happy I did as so many other people have done also. I recommend a voltmeter to monitor it, it will tell you immediately if you have a failure.
Steve
Lexus GX460
R-pod 180 2017
1 black lab
Rockin the Pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Lear111

I am confused why you chose this model converter. The progressive dynamics website clearly states the PD4655 is the replacement for the WFCO 8955. Fits perfectly in its slot and no need for rewiring. I finally switched mine and am happy I did as so many other people have done also. I recommend a voltmeter to monitor it, it will tell you immediately if you have a failure.

Thanks for the reply! You are absolutely right. I missed that somewhere. Sometimes I am not too bright.

2016 180 HRE
2014 Tacoma
Taylor 210 CSE
Bose L1 Model II
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 6:10pm
Seems like the converter failures are in 180s.  What is different in them?
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Rockin the Pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

Seems like the converter failures are in 180s.  What is different in them?

Not sure what is different with the 180. Maybe it's a WFCO 8955 thing. I don't know if they use it in other models. All I know is that it seems to be a common thing with the converters that WFCO uses.
     One thing I noticed in the picture of the PD 4655 (which is a direct replacement) was that it looked like it had 2 fans and the WFCO only used one. I may be mistaken but that's what the picture looked like.
     What I am interested in is cutting down on the time I run my generator to recharge. I would have gone with the 80 amp charger but my breaker is only rated for 15 amps and I don't know if putting a 20 amp in it's place is a smart or doable thing.
     That is the reason I am going to change out to a bigger wire size on the low voltage side. I would like to get all of the amps from the charger to the battery. Resistance is the enemy.
     More batteries would increase my capacity but would take even longer to charge. Solar may be an option but I already have a generator.
     I had to do something so this is the way I went.

2016 180 HRE
2014 Tacoma
Taylor 210 CSE
Bose L1 Model II
Gebaldwin1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 7:02am
And, yet another converter bites the dust! Have a 2017 R-Pod 180 that is now 1 year now 4 and months old. Presently on fourth (yes, 4!) WF-8955PEC converter. Always use a surge protector and they seem to fail non-stop for no apparent reason. Kept hoping that they would resolve defect with each subsequent replacement I install, but apparently no such luck. I will say that Arterra staff is very nice and highly practiced at sending out replacement units quickly. Anyone talk to / complain to Forest River regarding converter failures?

Misery loves company...… Ouch
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 8:54am
If your 4th converter has failed it's probably past time to start looking for some other cause of the problem.  People report problems here, so we hear about them.  No one posts that they just completed a 3000 mile trip and their wheels didn't fall off!  Point being, while there may be more of a problem with converters than there should be, it seems highly unlikely that you could get 4 bad ones in a row.  Lots and lots of people, most people by far, have no problem with their converter.  While it's possible you hit the jackpot, I'm just saying you ought to consider whether there's something external to the converter that's causing the problems.  Maybe a bad surge protector, maybe a wiring issue, I don't know.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 9:08am
+1 agree with TT. Sounds like there is more to it.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 9:53am
+2, something odd here.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 10:07am
One thing I notice on my WFCO is that its quite difficult to get it to go into bulk mode to charge at or near its rated current output. I'm not happy about that because it lengthens generator run time substantially. Apparently it is looking for a pretty low battery voltage to trigger bulk mode.  I've seen threads on other forums regarding this as well, but haven't sifted through all that yet. 

So this is pure speculation but I'm wondering if the high converter failure rates are occurring in rigs where the battery voltages are frequently relatively low, triggering them to spend more time in bulk mode charging at higher current levels. As we all know, higher currents create more heat and stress on the charger components.  

Like I said, pure speculation but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone with more knowledge than I have on WFCO charger operation has a comment. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>