R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRefrigerator at high altitude

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refrigerator at high altitude
    Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 10:42pm
The Dometic brochure for the refrigerator in our trailer (2017 179) indicates there may be problems at altitudes above 3,800 feet.  Just this weekend we went to northern New Mexico at about 9,600 feet and never could get the gas operation started. the ignition would fire but the furnace never started.  The water heater and stove worked with no problems.  Another R-Pod was camped in the same area and after several tries got his going.  When I returned to El Paso I was able to get it working on the gas option.  We have camped several times at altitudes of ~ 6,000 feet with no problems.

Any thoughts on how to overcome this limitation?  We will be going out for about 2 weeks the end of September and will be at similar altitudes.

Thanks,

Andy
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 9:52am
Definitely following this thread! I'm headed above 6,000 myself in a couple weeks! 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 9:57am
Any spider webs or wasp nests around the burner?  I usually start our fridge in the driveway at home (2620 ft) and it stays running till we get home. The highest elevation might  be around 9,000 ft.
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 10:46am
I guess I'm a little bit anxious about dragging the Pod with the gas burning; I know it's done all the time but still...  What do you do when you have to fill the TV?  Do you turn off the Fridge?

I did not have any bug nests or anything that might have prevented it from lighting.

Since it lit when I got back home the only thing I guess is that it had to do with altitude.

Thanks for the info
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Andy

I guess I'm a little bit anxious about dragging the Pod with the gas burning; I know it's done all the time but still...  What do you do when you have to fill the TV?  Do you turn off the Fridge?

I did not have any bug nests or anything that might have prevented it from lighting.

Since it lit when I got back home the only thing I guess is that it had to do with altitude.

Thanks for the info

Since the pod has a 3-way fridge, most tow in 12v mode. Verify your particular tow vehicle sends the proper voltage and amperage to the Pod while underway. If it does, 12v and avoid the worry..

If it doesn't, use propane, and don't worry. The RVIA reports the most common cause of RV fires is the 12v system, not propane.

If it's a trip under 4 hours, I probably wouldn't worry about traveling with the fridge cooled, loaded, and shut off. Use a remote thermometer to keep track of things, and don't worry.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by john in idaho

Any spider webs or wasp nests around the burner?  I usually start our fridge in the driveway at home (2620 ft) and it stays running till we get home. The highest elevation might  be around 9,000 ft.

John, you play in the altitude in question. Seems you run continuously. Can it be or could it be if you don't there could be an issue?

If I read it right, his stove still worked. So it seems a bit strange the frig did not lite. 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 2:47pm
1/2 dozen or so folks responsed on the other Rpod site I'm on. Folks have camped up to 10k without issue. The statement back is probably a clogged line. They also mentioned Spyder webs.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 3:50pm
Greetings from Ketchum, Idaho, elevation 5,853 feet above sea level. We camp in our surrounding mountains with elevations well in excess of 6,000 ft. We have never had a problem with the gas option on the fridge at home or up in the mountains.
Thanks
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 4:31pm
Thanks to all for the info.  Here is a reply from Dometic today:

Thank you for contacting Dometic.  The orifice behind the fridge that allows gas to pass through to get to the burner is only rated up to 5500 feet.  There is no guarantee that your fridge will NOT work up that high.  But if it does, it might/will struggle to stay lit, if it lights at all.  There is no fix for that.  We only offer one sized orifice.

Jon

CustomerSupportCenter

Phone (800)544-4881 
customersupportcenter@dometic.com

Dometic North America

So it looks like this will be a hit and miss situation.

john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 4:39pm
Back when I had a pickup camper years ago, I had to twist the propane tank around to get it in place.  The repair guy at the RV place told me to never tip  a propane tank on its side, because liquid may get into the out let and freeze, cutting off the flow when you turn the tank on. I don't know how true that is but I have always been careful.  Could you have tipped your tank on its side after filling it??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>