R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFun with Fans and Fridges

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fun with Fans and Fridges
    Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 7:39pm
by fred...

OK, so I got OCD. Can't help that. I am obsessed with getting as much cold out of my fridge as I can. I really like steaks I can freeze and eat a week to ten days into trip. And we consume an above normal amount of cold milk and white wine, cheeses and spreads and jellies and jams (not at the same time).

I prefer running fridge on propane and am a pro at disassembling, cleaning and reassembling the propane system. Still, when ambient temps reach 90+ and I'm not using the AC, it struggles. If sun is hitting pod in those temps it struggles even with the AC running. By that I mean, fridge rises above 40 (42-45) and freezer about 15 or so or even 20. Opening frequently, of course, makes it much worse. At night, it's never really a problem and by AM the fridge is back down to mid to upper 30's and freezer 5-10 or so. This past summer I have been watching and documenting closely (see OCD above). BTW, the above observations are all @ 4 bars (hot weather setting for us).

BTW, I do carry a Coleman thermoelectric (12volt) cooler which works great for storing 12 oz. adult beverages and other frequently requested items. 

Sooo, it's obvious that ambient temp has a lot to do with fridge efficiency. After all, the fridge is absorbing heat from inside the fridge and dumping in back outside to the back of the fridge. The hotter the back of the fridge, the less room for heat to be dumped and the warmer the fridge gets. Simplistic, but makes sense to me. That's why it works better at night - because there is more room for the hot air to dump and because my frequent trips for adult beverages are made to the cooler.

Yep, we pulled off the vent covers to make it easier for the absorbed hot air to escape and have even played with "heat shields" to try and block sun from heating compartment. Both help, but still not the solution I think I have been looking for.

About a year or so ago I was reading all these people on the internet saying that circulating air in the fridge was *the* solution. Sorta made sense and since everything on the internet is true I bought one. Didn't make any difference as far as I could tell. Maybe in a larger fridge, but I didn't see any difference in the little pod fridge. I put the fan(s) in one of my gadget boxes. (Cleverly hidden from OCD wife who suffers from anti-clutterism!!).

You've seen them

Repurposed as...

Cool, huh? Get it? Cool.

The last four days have been perfect testing right here in my driveway. First day was sunny and mid 90s. Started up the fridge about midday and put a bunch of bottles of cold water, a half gallon container of water and half a dozen freezer packs. About as full as we would have it camping. I did leave the freezer empty. The fridge and freezer temp @ start were both about 87. I started the vent fan above as well as jumping the pancake fan to circulate as much air as possible. Slideout was in, AC off. Windows closed. Alec Guinness would appreciate the conditions in the pod (any Bridge On The River Kwai fans?). I turned off the pancake fan and left my new vent fan on late afternoon. I left the vent fan on for the duration of the test.

Day two and three were ridiculous. Pod in full sun. Daytime highs 92-95 and high humidity. I still can't believe I lived in Florida for 25 years. Nuts. I closely monitored fridge temps. I use one of this AccuRite things that seems to be pretty accurate. So both mornings I started out with 2 and 6 in freezer and 36 in fridge. Surprisingly close and pretty encouraging. During the day, the temps rose. I did open the fridge for about thirty seconds or so both days just cuz I want to stick my finger in the water to see if it really was that cold. When I saw freezer hit 12 degrees and fridge about 38, I jumped the pancake fan to move some more air. It helped and temp dropped back a couple of degrees. I could feel the hot air pouring out of the top vent. Interestingly, I measured the switch that is supposed to kick on the pancake fan and it never seemed to get much above 130 (IR and Thermopen).

Over the first two days the fridge maxed out @ 40. Considering the "I'll tell you anything!!" conditions inside the pod, I was impressed. BTW, I put the AccuRite sensor below the metal shelf and on top or the crisper in the center of the fridge.

Last night was cool and today the temps were mid-seventies and overcast. Measured temps were 1 in freezer and 32 in fridge this AM. By the time I concluded test this afternoon, temp in freezer was 2 and fridge 32.

If you got this far, cheers!! 

I'm pretty comfortable in concluding that the most effective way to make your fridge more efficient is to get rid of the hot air behind it. And, maintain it, of course. If your ambient temps don't exceed mid seventies and your having a problem, there are other issues.

I also ordered a switch that supposedly opens @ 125-130 instead of the 158 that come with the fridge. Might be better than putting a manual switch on pancake fan. We'll see.

Pod On!!

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 8:43am
Just to followup.

Received and replaced fan limit switch (thermo disc). The package I ordered:

With some minor modifications I pushed out the old (158 degree) switch and replaced it with the new 122 degree disk.

Cut and replaced fan wire spade connectors and put it back in place

Of course, now it has cooled down here considerably so I may have to wait until another hot day to really test.

fred
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 8:50am
fwunder,

looking at pic of switch in cooling fins. I moved my switch from the space provided out to the elbow area, to right of fins. It's a least 40 degrees hotter out there, measured at the tube. My fan runs more often and I didn't change temp switch.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 8:58am
Hi Mike,

Yep, that's an option and it's the first thing I did also. I found on my box that when on propane that area pretty much stayed above 160 degrees and thus the fan stayed on pretty much all the time. If it works for you, great! I am thinking I will use the old (158 degree) disc in that area to control the exhaust fan.

Thanks!

fred
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 9:01am
Good advice, I will watch also.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 9:41am
I had been very frustrated with our fridge temps so I took it some steps further than you!  I not only added 2 computer fans at the top exhaust but added 2 on the bottom intake to push the air up plus added (molded) a piece of aluminum to force the air from the bottom up and directly through the cooling fins.  I also added a separate switch to turn the fans on anytime I wanted.  So I have 5 fans running.....maybe overkill...  I also have the little battery operated circulating fan inside.  Would like to get the hardwired version.  Our temps had been getting to 50 prior to this.  A week in 95 degree Florida last month and it stayed below 42ish in the hottest part of the day.  We opened the fridge at meal time more than once but were always quick when we did.  I decided just recently to remove the freezer part and will test that here in a few weeks.  LOTS of internet info on this and website businesses devoted to this problem.  I was even considering an electric only Danfoss compressor type fridge....very energy efficient but won't work on gas.  
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Subzilla

I was even considering an electric only Danfoss compressor type fridge....very energy efficient but won't work on gas.  

Since the 90 degree hot temps are short lived, (atleast in my area) might it be more convenient to buy a compressor type at walmart, and bring it the few times you need it. Leaving the pod intact, and available for those boondock moments. I supplement mine by using a cooler for meats. I got a Yeti knockoff, Ozark trail 26 quart cooler for 85 bucks at walmart. Worked pretty good. Not quite a Yeti, (i'm guessing) but, like the pod, built to a price point. Sometimes we tend to lose our perspective in our attempt to "fix the damned thing". 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 10:55am
Mark,

Shotgun approach! Love it.

I think it really comes down to several factors including environment, usage habits, baseline maintenance and moon phase ;), to name a few. The first three years of our use I really didn't notice a big problem. When I look back on all the trips we took and the tens of thousands of miles I noticed that the biggest difference between those years and our trips this year was environment. It's been a hot summer. Heck, it was in the low to mid nineties with 90% humidity on Prince Edward Island! 

There seems to be a fairly narrow environmental window of operating efficiency for our fridges. I have read many stories of folks insisting their fridges didn't work and the dealer actually removing the fridge, bench testing and telling the client there was nothing wrong with the unit. Of course. They were bench testing in an air conditioned shop!

If there was one solution that worked for all of us I would say the closest thing would be a passive solution as suggested by StephenH in another thread - an efficient and easy method of exhausting to outside. I just haven't been able to come up with an easy way to do that with our installations.

In the meantime, we'll all just have to MacGyver methods that work for us. 

BTW, I have looked at several portable compressor options like the offerings from Dometic or Engle and If I was fulltiming it would be a serious consideration along with enough power generation to keep it going. Just doesn't make sense for a few weeks of camping right now. A good cooler and ice is a lot cheaper.

Thanks for the input!

fred
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 10:57am
mjrpod, I guess we were posting at the same time. Yep, I agree.

fred
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 3:34pm
+1 fwunder and same for Subzilla. I would though love to see a schematic diagrams of both of your modifications with wiring in all these fans? You are both just pulling air through the outside cooling fins, yes? Did you both just parallel the two additional exhaust fans from your single fan giving you three exhaust fans or maybe I'm missing something? Subzilla where did you tap into for your 12Vdc dual intake fans that are pushing air up? Lastly fwunder your two interior fans are they wired to the interior light or batter to pull 12vdc from? This is all very interesting! 
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>