R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPex water leaks - Event Date: 16 Aug 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Pex water leaks
    Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 9:22am
I have a Jan. 2017 172 Pod, and I have had 3 water leaks. First was a pex fitting at the water pump, second was the P trap on kitchen sink, and now the third is the pex fitting on cold water of the shower faucet.  On the water pump I used a standard automotive (1/4"?) hose clamp because I figured there wouldnt be any real pressure to worry about.  But now on the shower, there is  a constant higher pressure.  I can cut the pex clamp off with a Dremel, and then replace it with what,  another pex (expensive tool) or a hose clamp?  Leaving on a trip in 2 weeks, so I cant take it to the shop. ( Don't trust them anyhow)  What would you do?
Thanks for any input.
Tom
Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 9:42am
The more important question is, "What would MacGyver do?" Wink

Other than that I (MiniMacGyver) would use flexible reinforced hose (HD) and hose clamps. I would also not leave water pump on unattended and make sure you use a pressure limiter if using city water hookup.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
SC for Huskers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 10:16am
Between Post and now, I found after removing faucet assembly, 1st. the faucet had been removed once before because of two addition screw holes on the right side of shower wall. 2nd, there is weight on the cold water side causing pipe to settle almost out of sight, 3rd. they used RTV silicone on the inside of the washer  of the female fittings. (Guess it was Monday morning or Friday payday when my unit was built)  Hate to think I may have to remove refrigerator to get to back side of bathroom. I will not disregard the Flex hose solution and will keep an eye on the pump.  Thanks and keep them coming.Ouch
Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 11:55am
Originally posted by fwunder

........You may be able to use a Sharkbite connector. .........Other than that I (MiniMacGyver) would use flexible reinforced hose (HD) and hose clamps. I would also not leave water pump on unattended and make sure you use a pressure limiter if using city water hookup.

fred

I have to second Fred's post. Although I'm not a big fan of Sharkbite in mobile applications I do have one in an a limited accessibility location and it's working fine. It's very important to use a pressure regulator in the city water input and turn off both pump and city water connection when you leave your camper unattended. Imagine what a failed hose clamp can do with unlimited city water available.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
SC for Huskers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 12:04pm
This is what I have found so far.  The crimp tool is $65.00Angry and the replacement fitting that may be the real culprit is  "https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-8-in-Brass-PEX-Barb-x-1-2-in-Female-Swivel-90-Elbow-UC531LFA/202270571 "
 (sorry,, don't know how to make that a link) and  has 1 star rating, the washer seems to leak.  Anyone had this problem with MAYBE a leaking washer?  Forceps won't pull the washer out.
So far, havent been able to find a flex hose to attach to Pex pipe.
Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 5:03pm
I used Sharkbite fittings to tap into a water line in my (former) house to install a supply line for a fridge ice-maker. Had no problems with it, seems that the ticket to them is following instructions carefully in terms of depth of pipe insertion, etc. In that instance I cut into the copper and used pex for new supply tubing. Water pressure from pump is not that high and as long as you have a regulator on city water line you should be good (following others advice on shutting off supply when leaving is always a good idea).
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 5:31pm
Same here, I used a "SharkBite" to install a sink in basement, works great, not convinced I want that in an RV. Different set of circumstances.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by mcarter

Same here, I used a "SharkBite" to install a sink in basement, works great, not convinced I want that in an RV. Different set of circumstances.

What would you suggest? I'm not real keen on the crimp clamps that they use in the RPod original plumbing installs, would like to know what the best alternative might be. Going to change out my kitchen faucet and could use some suggestions. 
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 6:18pm
My 178 did not come with an outside shower box. When I installed I used hose clamps and tees, it has never leaked. I do use a pressure regulator. I check it at the start and end of every season. Not a drop.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 8:10am
I have used a lot of PEX cinch clamps in Pods. Not one has leaked. When done by someone who isn't on the clock and being paid by the piece, they work and install well. DO NOT buy them at Lowes.. Amazon is your friend. I paid like $25 for my tool and 50 various sized clamps.I wouldn't put a sharkbite anywhere I couldn't see it all the time, but that's just me. Many of the older campers I have worked on had plain old worm gear hose clamps, some obviously for decades, not leaking. Some even had green water hose repairs, but that's another issue. LOL. If I was doing a repair in a tight space, where getting the PEX tool and clamp in place wasn't happening, a hose clamp would be my #2 option.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>