R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery low after camping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery low after camping
    Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 4:30pm
+2 to SH, have always run fridge on propane while traveling.  My dad did the same with a fridge he added to a popup he had in the early 1960's as well as with the built-in on his 1968 Shasta travel trailer.  No issues with propane, nor have I ever read of or known of anyone who has ever had a safety issue while running their fridge on propane while traveling.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 5:26pm
I'm not saying anything pro or con, but the FR newsletter this week published pics and stories on RV fires at gas stations, first I had ever seen, won't comment on every cause but they attributed to propane and gas issues. I am sure there are numerous reasons. As long as my TV and charging system can handle a reefer and traveling, I'm sticking with the 12V, I think if your charging system is not up to par, the propane option is best. Sure I'll get dislikes, but end of the day I have no fires whatever the reason.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 5:50pm
+1 to Mike. Charging with propane is always safe; until it isn't. Problem is, you may not get a do over if something goes wrong.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 6:08pm
When I was a kid, a friend and I were involved in a propane incident and open flame. The other guy died several days later when the blisters in his lungs burst and he drowned in the hospital, since then I have a respect for propane and open flames. Everything is right until it goes wrong.
Mike Carter
2015 178
FrayAdjacent View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 2:01am
Problem is running the fridge on battery while towing. It draws about 12A to run off of battery. Most vehicles will not provide that much to a trailer via the 7 pin connector. Whatever it does push, the difference is drawn from the battery. 

Towing with the fridge on LP is risky because you usually have to put gas in your vehicle, and running the fridge on LP means "fire". Fire close to a gas pump is not a good idea. I'm not sure anyone's ever been blown up by doing this, but it isn't something we should risk. 

Get your fridge cold in advance. Pack it with NON PERISHABLE things like water bottles or such. Put some frozen water bottles in when it's cold. It should stay cold enough for a good amount of time. 
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 7:31am
This has been a topic forever, I ensured my TV will charge TV battery and supply needed draw to TT. SO for now, my choice is to run fridge on battery when traveling. I do still carry a large cooler which has ice and perishables. I have never had a low battery when arriving at campsite. BTW I run the fridge before departing to get it cold, put frozen reuseable bags in it and I lower temp setting when traveling.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Ghosthawk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 7:44am
+ 1 to SH

An open flame would be a candle burning on the outside of the pod.

Inside the pod would not be an open flame until the door is opened.

Last, just for kicks. Proven fact that almost all gas station fires are a result of static, not open flame.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 9:25am
I am well aware of the hazards of propane. In my younger days, I was a volunteer fireman. We did propane safety training which included getting up close and personal with propane fires such as a flaming "Christmas tree" being fed liquid propane by a tanker. We had three people, two with hoses and one in the middle whose job it was to reach the valve at the base of the "tree" and simulate turning it off, after which we had to back away from the fire without getting burned. It was pretty intense! We also had some house fires that involved making sure the bulk tanks up next to the house did not get too hot and to move them away so they would not explode. Boiling Liquid, Expanding Vapor Explosions (BLEVE) are very, very bad.
Knowing all this, I would not risk using propane with the refrigerator if I thought it had a high probability of causing a fire. I would not be able to dry camp if I did not use propane for worry that something might go wrong. As it is, I sleep quite well with the refrigerator on propane and don't worry about using it on the highway, knowing that I do not have an open flame.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 10:06am
I can understand the people that don't have a choice of using battery, or propane, choosing to travel with propane. I've done it once or twice when i forgot to switch over before getting on the road. But IF you have a choice, and you don't use battery, I would call that a poor choice. Most safety rules don't come about because something bad happens every time you do something. They come about because of the one in a million times something bad happens. Osha demands that safety glasses be worn to do some of the most ridiculous tasks. I worked in machine shops with flying chips everyday and never used to wear them. Did I get hurt? Nope. Was it a very good choice? Nope. I now know better, and I never enter a shop without them. I see people who advocate not using a sway bar all the time. What possible reason can anyone say you should "NOT" use a sway bar of some type.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 1:40pm
We'll have to agree to disagree on this.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>