Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHello Forum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello Forum
    Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 8:48am
Thanks for all the great advice. I am looking for something lightweight as my truck is vintage.I also like that the roof is one piece and construction is of materials that wont easily rot.
Paul
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by noatakme

Thanks for all the great advice. I am looking for something
lightweight as my truck is vintage.I also like that the roof is one
piece and construction is of materials that wont easily rot.

The roof has no seams for water to get into.
noatakme View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 9:03am
I would like to ask about the solar option. I've seen advertised that there is a plug on the outside to hook up a solar panel. They didn't mention anything else about it. I understand there is more to recharging batteries than plugging in a solar panel. Do the R-pods come with everything you need to recharge a battery or two? What year did they start offering solar prep? Do the different years and models have different set ups?
Paul
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 9:11am
Originally posted by noatakme

I would like to ask about the solar option. I've seen advertised that there is a plug on the outside to hook up a solar panel. They didn't mention anything else about it. I understand there is more to recharging batteries than plugging in a solar panel. Do the R-pods come with everything you need to recharge a battery or two? What year did they start offering solar prep? Do the different years and models have different set ups?
The so-called "solar connector" is nothing more than the connector and the wires from the connector to the battery/ies. On our RP-179, the Zamp connector is on the back side of the R-pod, and the batteries are on the front. More often than not, the best location for the solar panels is actually on the side where the batteries are. So the solar option only seems to add a little over 20' of wires to the connection. The other issue is that there is not integrated solar controller, so you still have to add a solar controller, not matter what.

In my mind it is as easy, if not easier, to just have a solar setup with alligator clips to connect to the batteries.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 10:08am
If I still have the pod when I get solar, I'll probably simply plug into my Anderson powerpole auxiliary power port. I got hooked on powerpoles a few years ago, making up all kinds of adapters and extensions. They have come in very handy for outside 12 volt service.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
BVK View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 12:27am
Nice workbench! I plan on converting to 12-volts wherever possible.

K.I.S.S.!
2012 RP-171 HRE, 2006 F-150
noatakme View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 8:31pm
Thanks for the info. Seems like the connector isn't very useful? Maybe hook a volt meter to it?

Paul
noatakme View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 7:07am
We finally picked up an 2015 R-pod 177. My 1994 GMC Sonoma pulled it fine except for long steep upgrades where the speed limit was 55 or over. It would only get up to 40 or 50 mph.I did notice a difference when I used High octane gas instead of the lower octane. I also noticed there was no way to keep it in drive going down the freeway. I put it in overdrive and it seemed to perform better. I took a wrong exit in the Pittsburgh area and ran into some moderately steep hills. The speed limit was only 35 MPH and the truck did okay. I was trying to think of ways to increase horse power;but, I always wanted to keep my truck stock. I guess we will stay off the freeway while negotiating the Appalachians. If we decide to cross the country we'll have to upgrade our vehicle and my GMC will become a lawn ornament.

Paul
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 8:11am
Paul, don't worry about the speed limit.  Many heavily laden vehicles can't go the speed limit up steep grades no matter what the speed limit is.  We had one steep grade we navigated last summer on I-70 east of Salina where we, and a whole bunch of semis, plugged along at about 25 or 30 going up a very steep grade, even though the limit was 70 and some cars were zooming by at 80.  That's what they have the right lane for.  I have an older, but not yet in the vintage range, truck with a lot of miles and my view is that I want to preserve the engine and transmission and I'm not going to try to force it to go faster than it can comfortably go.  My maximum speed when in a lower gear is at the rpm that yields the most torque.  Beyond that, I'm just making Exxon richer with no benefit to me.  

Congratulations on picking up your Pod.  I hope you enjoy it.... and go slowly and watch the scenery. Wink
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
noatakme View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 8:34am
Originally posted by lostagain

Paul, don't worry about the speed limit.  Many heavily laden vehicles can't go the speed limit up steep grades no matter what the speed limit is.  We had one steep grade we navigated last summer on I-70 east of Salina where we, and a whole bunch of semis, plugged along at about 25 or 30 going up a very steep grade, even though the limit was 70 and some cars were zooming by at 80.  That's what they have the right lane for.  I have an older, but not yet in the vintage range, truck with a lot of miles and my view is that I want to preserve the engine and transmission and I'm not going to try to force it to go faster than it can comfortably go.  My maximum speed when in a lower gear is at the rpm that yields the most torque.  Beyond that, I'm just making Exxon richer with no benefit to me.  

Congratulations on picking up your Pod.  I hope you enjoy it.... and go slowly and watch the scenery. Wink

Do you use overdrive? Is it Okay to go from drive to overdrive and back down again while you are moving? I appreciate your info.
Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>