Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello Forum
    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by AgedWhine

Just joined the forum. So wanted to introduce ourselves. We are new to r-pod traveling and use. Hopefully we will be placing an order for the 195. Any pros or cons are welcome. Also wondering about the tanks visible on the underbelly???  
There is another thread elsewhere on the forum that is specific to the 195. I don't expect to see any serious pros/cons until someone gets their hot hands on one.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 8:54am
Welcome! You posted the question about tanks in another topic. I'll repeat here that the information I was given by Scott Rhode (who works at the Surveyor/R-Pod factory) is that the tanks on the 195 are not exposed, but the bottom is "enclosed with industry standard Coroplast."
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
AgedWhine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 8:35am
Just joined the forum. So wanted to introduce ourselves. We are new to r-pod traveling and use. Hopefully we will be placing an order for the 195. Any pros or cons are welcome. Also wondering about the tanks visible on the underbelly???  
...On the road again! Just can’t wait to get on the road again....
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 3:21pm
Whether and where ever you add a solar module and charge controller or something else that's comng straight from the battery I strongly suggest installing an approriately sized inline fuse or circuit breaker at the positive battery terminal in the wire to that circuit. Otherwise that circuit has no protection from shorts or faults in either its wiring or the loads. 

That's not a great idea, some folks seem to think that because it's 12V its safe. It's safe from shock hazards, sure, but not from fire hazards.  Batteries can put out plenty of current (hundreds of amps) to melt the insulation off of conductors and cause fires. Treat your 12Vdc circuits the same way as you would your 120Vac circuits and be safe. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 11:36am
Paul, yes I use overdrive on flat or nearly flat roads.  If I start to go on an incline that will cause a downshift, I'll turn the overdrive off preemptively, so I'm not jumping back and forth between gears.  If I am on a steeper incline and I'm in 4th gear [of a 5 speed auto with 3 shift positions] and I start shifting up and down, I'll shift to "2" and just keep the rpm at not more than 3600.  If I'm on a really steep grade and it has has started hunting gears to maintain speed, I'll downshift to position "1," actually 2nd gear, and again stay under 3600 rpm.  I just go slow and enjoy the sights.  My concern is that I not overheat either the transmission [I added a cooler] or the engine.  To paraphrase StephenH, you don't have to arrive first, just arrive safely and relaxed.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Billy Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 11:23am
i found the white led porch light is very bright and the yellow one not so but better for leaving on when you are in the camper for the night.
2019 RPOD 190
2017 Chev Colorado 4 X 4
Yellow Lab and English Springer Spaniel
noatakme View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Jholler

Originally posted by noatakme

Thanks for the info. Seems like the connector isn't very useful? Maybe hook a volt meter to it?

Since it runs straight to the battery, you can also run anything 12v from it. (Lights, rearview camera, etc) just buy a plug to fit it, BUT ... reverse the polarity by flip flopping the wires on your plug. Zamp wires them backwards so you'll buy THEIR panels.

That's a great idea. The yellow porch light seems okay;but, a nice led lamp to light up the ground would bee nice. Or, a string of LED tape lights( I'm not sure what you call them, I have 12 feet of the stuff) would be awesome.
Paul
Woodmiester View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 10:22am
You won't have a problem.....I tow a 2018 190 with m 2004 Explorer sport trac with a 4.0L V6.  Does a great job.  I must admit, while in the mountains I just take it slow and easy and am normally following a big rig in the truck lane.  This may add 4-5 minutes on my trip, but certainly no big deal.  The whole idea is NOT to get in a hurry!

Welcome to the forum and happy camping to you!Smile
Swampfox
Jholler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 9:22am
Originally posted by noatakme

Thanks for the info. Seems like the connector isn't very useful? Maybe hook a volt meter to it?

Since it runs straight to the battery, you can also run anything 12v from it. (Lights, rearview camera, etc) just buy a plug to fit it, BUT ... reverse the polarity by flip flopping the wires on your plug. Zamp wires them backwards so you'll buy THEIR panels.
2015 rpod 179
2014 Ram ecoDiesel HFE
2009-ish Chihuahua
noatakme View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 9:13am
I like that advice " you don't necessarily have to be the first one up the mountain"
Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>