Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Montana RPOD
    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 11:10am
Thank you all for the tips and advice! 
ZooPod
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 11:36am
Sorry for your troubles ZooPod. I've been through a few during our tens of thousands of miles with our 178. We keep podding on, fixing and modifying and enjoying as we save for what might be a mitigating solution...

...and take solace in the fact that our bank account is still relatively in tact.

Please have fun!

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by tcj

I can not open the door from the inside if the outside hand rail is across it.  I can't see any way to bevel any bracket edge that would make it possible to open the door.  The hand rail must be lifted about a half inch before it can be rotated out of the way.  Ours is a 2019. Maybe older models have a different design??
You can open the door, even with the hand rail across it. We've tried it, and you do have to push a little harder, but you are by no means locked in. If it seems too hard, look around on this site. Several people have added a small metal bar, or filed the notch to make a "ramp" of sorts. Not a big deal.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 3:51pm
Mine opens from the inside on my 178, takes some pressure but it does open.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 4:32pm
Some information on quality of RV builds I learned this summer.  We visited the Elkhardt, Indiana area where 80% of the RVs in this country are made.  We actually visited a plant to see how they are made (not a FR plant).  We found out regardless of brand they are all basically made the same way and people move around alot and the pay is great.  The people who built my RPOD in 2017 could have built my Keystone in 2018! They are paid on a per unit basis.  In this factory the magic number was 12 per day.  Any less and they got docked pay.  Any more (up to a maximum of 17 that was the record) and they got bonus pay.  Thus the incentive is for speed NOT quality.  And if someone is sick or on vacation they have to do the same work without him/her! Only a few manufacturers have a QA dept that actually goes back and docks workers for poor quality.  If they see a common problem (eg the WFCO converter failing, they tell me they will change manufacturers or else change the RV design). They lose money on warranty work and try to avoid it if possible but,  if it costs less to perform warranty work than make changes then they will keep allowing something to break and then fixing it later).  In terms of dust shavings, we saw RVs with dust at each step in the manufacture. They do NOT vacuum until the RV is done.  Therefore while bouncing along the highway all of that hidden dust keeps coming out.  It was this way for both of our RVs.  So all RVs (maybe the Airstreams are different) are built this way.  Just have to hope that your RV was built with all employees present and was not one of the last ones they were trying to finish for the day and that bonus check.  The good news is that most of these things can be fixed if you are reasonably handy.  If not, please buy from a local dealer even if it costs more money because you may have to make several trips back for warranty work
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
tcj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 5:17pm
Okay, I see at least 3 Rpod owners can open their doors from the inside with the hand rail closed across the door.  The hand rail on our 2019 180 locks in place.  You have to lift it up to rotate it from any position.  There is no way to open the door without breaking the hand rail if it is across the door.  You would have to kick it hard enough to rip the rail attachment brackets off the side of the trailer.

Any modification made to make the locking mechanism loose enough to force open with out raising it up first would ruin it.  I think there must be a different design hand rail on those that can be forced open.  Not trying to be a contrarian.
2018 R-pod 180 Hood River Edition
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 5:33pm
I don't know. I went out tonight and proved again I can open door with hand rail closed. I also have to lift mine to rotate but pressure causes it to release. It is not that a substantial of resistance. If they changed the provider, I have not heard of it.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 8:01pm
Ya know, when we did our cross country trip back in two-ought-fourteen I thought the door handle thing across the door was a good idea.

About a hundred miles into the trip I realized it was rubbing on the door lock and making a mark. I then thought...the door has a dead bolt and a lock. The only way it was protecting the door from coming open was in a rollover, in which case it really wouldn't matter any way.

Silly idea. Just lock the door and drive on.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12