FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBike Rack Option Photos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bike Rack Option Photos
    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 9:50am
Originally posted by CharlieM

I use uBlock AdBlock Plus with Firefox. It displays the number of blocked popups in the upper right corner. So far the "free" CNN site is the winner with 45 blocked popups just on the first page!
That's what I use as well. I have visited a couple of sites, where the blocked ad count has gone into triple digits.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 9:52am
Anyone else have bike rack photos to share? I’m planning to start putting things together later today. Thanks ~PP
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 5:02pm

fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 8:28pm
Ok furpod. Who just peddles? Who peddles and steers? Can the one in front tell when the one in back stops peddling? I see potential conflicts in that rig.

fred  
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 10:10pm
Ok, the video is up. Thanks again to all who allowed me to use their photos of various bike rack setups. ~PP

https://youtu.be/yPE8_aUZwb0
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 7:48am
Originally posted by fwunder

Ok furpod. Who just peddles? Who peddles and steers? Can the one in front tell when the one in back stops peddling? I see potential conflicts in that rig.

fred  

LOL.. the "captain" up front does the shifting and steering.. the "stoker" in the back keeps track of the computer, bell, signals, and the maps. And snacks. Everybody peddles.. with over 25 years riding tandems, and +75,000 miles, we haven't had our first heated discussion on the bike yet.
Now.. we have been very very quiet for a mile or two once or twice.. LOL

The 3 tandems we have owned were all connected drive, so you can tell if "someone" isn't pulling their weight.. LOL  But there is a drive system by DaVinci bikes that allows separate cadence and effort.. we rode one at a big rally years ago, couldn't stand it, and worried much about being out of sync in a corner, and dragging a peddle.

Back when we were younger, and still rode and raced a lot.. we knew probably 75 couples who both rode singles, but only 3 couples out of them could ride a tandem together and be happy. Some couldn't even go around the block "together". Others did OK, but maybe had trust issues..
But very few could ride and be happy/comfortable all the time. And trust me, on a +90F day, 90 miles into a 100 mile ride, going up a 2 mile long, 7% grade at 4mph, into a head wind... it's EASY to get... unfriendly with your partner.  LOL
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 8:43am
That's really interesting furpod. We have large flocks of lycra breasted cyclers fly by our house on the weekends. Occasionally we see a recumbent but rarely a tandem. I did see a tandem with only one person. I guess that discussion didn't go so well.

Can you put that on a trainer? I got one for my bike. It's great in the winter (or summer) in the garage where I can wear my robe and watch TV while peddling. I don't look good in lycra.

Thanks!

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 11:05am
Originally posted by fwunder

That's really interesting furpod. We have large flocks of lycra breasted cyclers fly by our house on the weekends. Occasionally we see a recumbent but rarely a tandem. I did see a tandem with only one person. I guess that discussion didn't go so well.

Can you put that on a trainer? I got one for my bike. It's great in the winter (or summer) in the garage where I can wear my robe and watch TV while peddling. I don't look good in lycra.

Thanks!

fred

I have ridden the tandems solo a few times.. Usually while camping.. LOL. We have the ability to carry the tandem, 2 road singles and 2 Mt Bikes, all at the same time, but have only done it a couple times. Our racing tandem (Co-Motion Robusta) is actually very comfortable to ride 1up, and honestly, it's lighter then many singles. Usually, it's to run to the store or camp store, when she is still in bed or working or something. A couple of years ago I did do a organized tour, 24 mile loop, solo, we didn't know about the local ride until we were there camping, and she had already planned something for the Sat morning, so she did her thing, and since it was the only bike we brought, I rode the Bike Friday Tandem, solo. Got lots of comments.

I suppose you could put it on a trainer, have never tried. She keeps her single road bike mounted on a Cyclops Magneto for the winter.. I have an old set of Performance rollers I use with my single. I tend to spin in the morning, before she gets up, and she spins in the evenings before bed. I still wake early, but not as early as when I was in the Army. She actually works from home, on central time, since her company is HQ'd in Chicago, but we live in eastern time. so she commutes to work, straight from bed many days, about 9am.. LOL By then the dog and I are a couple three hours into our day.

As far as lycra.. try "bibs".. After I retired I put on some pounds.. found bibs fit better, and were more comfortable then regular shorts. Don't buy cheap. Thankfully, mostly due to the popularity of mt Bikes, loose fitting jerseys are acceptable now, and euro team kit is only worn by really serious bike geeks. In the last couple years, we have ridden in just plain old T shirts if the weather was cool, and never had anyone give a second look.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 11:12am
Originally posted by PilotPodder

Ok, the video is up. Thanks again to all who allowed me to use their photos of various bike rack setups. ~PP

Dang.. I had a photo of the tandem, now carried inside the big truck, I was going to post..

Video looks good though.. Smile

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 9:32pm
So here is a reply from someone who has concerns with my using the back hitch receiver for bikes even though it is about 26 lbs more than the spare and 60+ lbs below the 150lb max. Your input is appreciated:

“150 lbs vertical over the bumper. that's standard. does not account for the rack that holds the bikes off the bumper and the torque created from bouncing. Trust me if you don't reinforce, those tack welds will fail eventually.”

Thanks,

PP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>