R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReplacing the propane detector sensor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing the propane detector sensor
    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 6:55pm
With good power, mine has never sounded except when I bump into it and end up pushing the self-test button. Then I get a reminder that when it is time to replace it, to replace it with a recessed mount model that is flush with the wall. I frequently bump the existing one and pop it off its mount partially or fully.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 5:52pm
CO my mistake why I want to tag on a 2 I don't know! Embarrassed

I would never disable any alarm unless I was 100% plus that all was good. The only reason I even contemplate being able to turn it off was is when I found out that if the DC voltage to it drops it will trigger the alarm because it senses it as a fault condition and not a Propane leak or CO build up. It tells you the alarm itself is at fault by a blinking LED along with the alarm beeping. Hopefully now with a new converter its all a non issue.

Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 5:22pm
+1 - Mistake to bypass this safety device.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by DavMar

That explains why I couldn't find the fuse! Embarrassed

I may just wire in line a SPST toggle switch with it and stuff it back into the wall with the wiring. At least that way you could disable the alarm when you determined there is no Propane or CO2 leak.

I know it's just sort of a typo, but it's a CO detector.  CO2, carbon dioxide, could suffocate you under almost impossible circumstances.  CO, carbon monoxide, is a deadly poison that can kill you in your sleep very easily.  In my opinion, overriding the always-on feature of these detectors is a very serious safety concern.  It's best to resolve whatever sets it off by opening the doors, cranking up the vent fan, or charging the battery than disabling it and risk forgetting to turn it back on.  You could wake up dead.

Also, as someone else noted, these detectors have expiration dates.  They have to be replaced about every 5 years.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Unfortunately, it is hard-wired and does not go through the fuse panel. It has to be to prevent someone from disabling it which would defeat the purpose of having it which is to keep someone from dying from CO poisoning or from going up with a bang if there is a propane leak.

That explains why I couldn't find the fuse! Embarrassed

I may just wire in line a SPST toggle switch with it and stuff it back into the wall with the wiring. At least that way you could disable the alarm when you determined there is no Propane or CO2 leak.
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 10:26pm
Unfortunately, it is hard-wired and does not go through the fuse panel. It has to be to prevent someone from disabling it which would defeat the purpose of having it which is to keep someone from dying from CO poisoning or from going up with a bang if there is a propane leak.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 5:31pm
Kind of on subject but on our recent month out on the road I was snoozing in the pod when the wife decided she wanted a glass of wine. In the 180 there is a perfect shelf nook on the left side of the slide out for her to place a box wine carton. Unfortunately the sensor for the Propane/CO2 is located just under it a bit forward near the floor. Well she pours her wine but somehow spilled some on the floor and the next thing I know I'm being rocked awake by the beep, beep, of this alarm. Seems we found out the hard way the fumes of alcohol will set off this alarm! Another thing on this trip we found out will set off this alarm is if your converter dies and the voltage drops to below 6 volts, crazy! I need to figure out what fuse controls this alarm so if I ever need to kill it again I can. 
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by TheBum

I got tired of always kicking the detector off the wall, so when ours failed, I bought one of the flush mount ones. I had to do some sawing on the paneling, but it's not difficult: I used the saw blade in my Leatherman Juice. For the wiring, I used crimped butt connectors.

Did the same thing.  Very happy with the flush model.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 11:27am
I got tired of always kicking the detector off the wall, so when ours failed, I bought one of the flush mount ones. I had to do some sawing on the paneling, but it's not difficult: I used the saw blade in my Leatherman Juice. For the wiring, I used crimped butt connectors.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 6:15pm
Actually I used two of those little plastic wing nut things you twist on, then wrapped each of those and the wires with electrical tape.  Thinking that five years from now it will be easy to replace again without the solder.  Thanks for pointing out my omission.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>