R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brakes
    Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 7:14pm
   We took our camper to have the brakes looked at because only one of the drums was getting hot when we used the brakes. I thought they were out of adjustment or one of the brake wires was disconnected. When I picked the camper up he said everything worked fine, while driving home I decided to check the brakes and same thing one drum was hot the other a little warm. So I decided to pull off the road once again in some gravel and manually operated the trailer brakes and noticed one wheel the brake kept the wheel from turning and it slid in the gravel the other wheel rolled not skidding. When I got home I called the repair shop and he said that one magnet was pulling more than the other and did not have the force to properly operate the brake in that it wasn't a adjustment problem. Does this make sense do the magnets that operate the brakes become weak or defective over time? If anyone knows the answer I would be thankful for the answer and if possible to explain how the magnets operate.  Thank you, David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 8:16am
This seems to be common with some of us. But mostly the new pods. The self adjuster brake type. I do know one thing, your brake drums should not get hot if you're towing at normal conditions. If you were going down a steep grade, and continuously braking, maybe. If it is heating up, there is a problem. I found on mine that my brake was catching on a part of the assembly, and causing the brake to stay lightly engaged. Once the assembly was replaced, it worked fine.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 8:20am
Yes, the magnets can be defective or the specs change. Not sure why they didn't replace the defective magnet, or replace the magnets. Here's a link to etrailer test of magnets:

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-testing-trailer-brake-magnets-for-proper-function.aspx
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply