R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSlide topper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slide topper
    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by mcarter

Original Post:

Topic: Install - Lippert Solera Slider Awning
    Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 8:26am

I purchased a Lippert Solera Slider Awning from etrailer.com and installed yesterday. The install was done on a 2015 178. The slider measured 73" from outside frame to frame. I chose the 6 1/2' awning which at 78" gives you 2 1/2" on each side. The awning was less than $200, free shipping. The larger the slide the more the price, for a 179 is north of $300 because the 179 has a much larger slide. The install took less than 2 hours and DID require help of a second person when putting poly cord in the keder rail. I chose white versus black just because I thought it would be cooler. One caveat - the awning comes with all hardware to include a awning rail (keder). I did NOT use it - I used the existing rail on my Pod. I did have to remove the drain spouts on Pod. I have added a link to the etrailer video on install of same awning on RP-180, good to have because install instructions supplied do not cover install on an existing rail.

Link: https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-solera-slide-topper-2017-forest-river-forester-lcv000165063.aspx

Resurrecting an old topic because I need some information. How did you attach the brackets to the slide? It comes with screws and says, "All screws supporting the awning assembly MUST have a backer within the structure of the wall of the unit." Is there adequate backing in the RPod's slide-out? If not, how did you back up the screws so that the brackets did not rip out of the wall?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 3:07pm
SH,

There is an excellent DIY video available for this awning install, as I recall they supplied RIVNUT type inserts where screws go, but I'd have to watch the video again as I don't recall exactly.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 3:19pm
SH, I told you wrong , it uses self tapping screws - you do not want to over tighten, I used Lexel to seal the back and it is also an adhesive. When I put the screws in it was solid behind the slide panel.
Mike Carter
2015 178
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by mcarter

SH, I told you wrong , it uses self tapping screws - you do not want to over tighten, I used Lexel to seal the back and it is also an adhesive. When I put the screws in it was solid behind the slide panel.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is what I needed to know. Thank you. Yes, it is self-tapping screws that were supplied. I will take your advice about not overtightening. Did you use clear Lexel?
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 5:48pm
Yes Sir, I used clear. Butyl tape skewed the alignment, I wanted them to set and cure.
Mike Carter
2015 178
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 8:15pm
I got the backing plates installed. They are different now than before. There is a separate backing plate that attaches to the slide-out wall and the mounting plates slide onto that and get locked in place. There are 5 screws for each backing plate. The top three went into what felt like solid wood. The two lower ones didn't. I'm hoping that the three top ones with the Lexel will make up for the lack of solid backing for the lower two. Since it got dark on me, I will let the backing plates cure in place before I put the mounting plates on and install the fabric roll.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 11:45am
I got a Lippert awing for the slide out and mounting the brackets on the slide out I did just as you have with screws and silicone to secure the brackets and have not had any problems thus far and I installed it over a year ago and used the drainage rail instead of installing the one supplied with the awning and it works slick
Jay

179/2019
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 12:10pm
Mine is now complete. There are a couple of minor issues (scratches on the roll ends and two missing self-drilling screws) that I am dealing with. One other thing is that the fabric is not centered on the roll, but is off center by about an inch. It isn't a big difference, but it is something I noticed once I had it installed. I have the fabric centered on the track and slide-out, but the roll is offset just a bit. I'm not sure if it was made that way or shifted in shipment. The assembly functions great and the fabric is tight when it is extended and retracted.

I also used the rail that was there instead of mounting the one provided. I'm not sure what I will do with that section of rail. I think I will make small awnings to mount above the windows by the bed so that I can open the windows for ventilation when it rains.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 5:09pm
Is it white or black, I like mine but regret the white selection.
Mike Carter
2015 178
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 6:19pm
I should have mentioned that I purchased the black one. The white one would have stuck out like a sore thumb. The black one blends in very nicely.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>