R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJensen TV and Required Voltage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jensen TV and Required Voltage
    Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 5:55pm
Discovered that the Jensen TV, which is advertised as 12 volt in the 2015 Pod, requires 110/120 volt standard AC power!  Some Jensens appear to have the option of either a stepped down cord or a RV 12 volt cord, but not the 2015 Pod.  So if you are dry camping or just want to watch a DVD without a generator bothering a neighbor, you are out of luck!  As the manual actually explains, you have a 12 volt TV that requires 110 volts!  And you can't install optional cords to use straight 12 volts.  Or am I missing something?
2015 Pod Hood River Edition
2012 Tacoma Crew Cab 4 Liter
rumman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 6:10pm
You buy a 12 volt power inverter, 150 Watt should do it, plug it into the cigarette lighter plug in and then your TV into the inverter. Works like a charm. I do that on my 179 as the cigarette lighter plug in is behind the TV. Then I watch movies all night long.
2014 RPod 179 towed by 2016 Chev Colorado (V6).
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 6:24pm
My Jensen TV in my 2015 Pod is a 120 VAC TV, not 12V. I have an invertor that will run the TV, 150 W. It plugs into an outlet pretty sure that is a clue it's 120.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 6:28pm
BTW - My Pod was not built with a 12V plug, I had to add it and USB ports, along with volt gauge.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 6:36pm
Some floor plans have a 12v setup, but not all.
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 6:41pm
Right.  No 12 volt plug is handy.  And the inverter option is one I've used elsewhere, though I am not sure the wattage the Jensen draws and how it will draw on the batteries.  I thought I might be missing something since the manual clearly states that the Jensens are 12 volt — while mysteriously requiring 110 to operate!  Why would this be produced this way when the Jensen head is 12 volt operational!
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 8:57pm
Beats me. I have a Bestek MRI11511FU 150 Watt inverter. I found a web page by Vanner that has some good information about inverters and power requirements.Stated on the page is that it takes about 1 amp input to provide 10 Watts of AC output. According to a smart plug I have, the Jensen television draws 15 Watts. So the power requirement to run the television is 1.5 Amperes plus whatever overhead is drawn by the inverter and the power for the antenna amplifier plus the Jensen stereo if you are feeding sound through it (which I do since it makes it much easier to hear, especially when the AC is running).

I wired in a 12V outlet as well as a dual USB outlet next to the AC outlet, tapping into the 12V line that powers the antenna amplifier. I could have run a separate wire, but didn't see the need to do so. Since I have dual 6V batteries in series, I have 215 AH which if I don't drain below 50% still gives me over 100AH to work with. I could run the television for over 60 hours if I wanted to do so (71.5 for the TV alone, less when other power draws are considered).

As for the brochure which says that the TV is 12V, there is always a disclaimer that specifications may change. I would rather have a 12V TV, but I am sure the 120V model is less expensive. Just try to buy one and you will see what I mean. 120V models are cheap but 12V models are many times more expensive. Given that a 150 Watt inverter is much less expensive than purchasing a 12V television, and given that it will work without killing the battery/batteries quickly, the 150 Watt inverter is the most cost-effective solution to allow you to watch television if you want to do so. In our case, the television rarely gets turned on so buying a 12V model would make even less sense.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 10:48am
The Jensen 19" is rated at only 17W, so you could get by with a much smaller inverter. I probably wouldn't go below 50W.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 3:26pm
Soooooo, my plan is to replace the antenna wall plate (right behind the TV), which appears to have 12 volt coming to it for the antenna, with a similar Winegard plate with a 12 volt receptacle in it, and then use an inverter for the TV.  I am presuming this is doable, since I've ordered the part.  We'll see.  Has anyone tried this. The replacement part has provision for three antenna connections as well as the 12 volt receptacle.
disputin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 6:36pm
I tried this and failed.  The 12v Winegard plate I ordered wouldn't support the setup in the rpod.   From what I can tell the rpod uses the amplifier for both the TV and FM signals and as such the amplifier is different from the Winegard amplifier.  I ended up wiring in a new 12v outlet using power from the radio and an inline fuse.

Sean
Sean & Christine Whitney
2002 F150
2016 179HRE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>