R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack Tank Pipe Hanger Broke

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Tank Pipe Hanger Broke
    Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 9:14am
I wonder why FR degraded the quality of the hangers over the years?  On our old reliable 2009 Pod, the hangers are sturdy, show no sign of stress or imminent failure, and are keeping the sewer lines nicely in place.  i just replaced the gate valves for black and gray water and found that there is almost no movement; a problem when you need a little space to slip the valves in place.  

A side note:  I got a Valtera 1 1/2 inch for the gray water and the seal configuration was such that I couldn't get them to seat properly on the pipes.  I threw it away and got a Bristol, the OEM equipment, and it took less than 5 minutes to put it in and the gaskets seated perfectly.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Podman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 12:38am
I have just purchased my second rpod, first one was a 2016 179. My second one is a 2021 196. On my 179 the “bracket” between the frame and the black water drain pipe clamp broke and I drug it on the highway until I noticed it, by then the valve was half gone and some of the pipe. Fortunately I was empty and was able to get parts to fix it when I reached my destination. I temporarily held it up. When I got home I made two new brackets out of 1/8” x 1” mild steel flat bar one for gray and one for black water drains. The original brackets were made from 3/64” thick material (cheap), so my new brackets are more than twice as thick. I never had another problem with it. Needless to say I Checked my new rpod as soon as I got it home and made new brackets for it. They have added a nylon back up strap for “suspenders” from the factory but I feel much safer replacing the thin ones that came on it. Easily made brackets with a bench vise and hacksaw.
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 8:49am
I just built this out of stainless steel for mine.

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 10:48pm
How is the flat part attached to the round rod? Is it welded? It looks great. I have not had any problems either since changing the cheap hanger for my homemade one. Yours looks a lot nicer though.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Podman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 12:08am
Yes that is a very nice bracket, replacing or fortifying the lousy factory bracket is mandatory. This is one of those cases where not fixing unless it’s broke doesn’t apply.
Gebaldwin1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 6:11am
I have a 2017 180 that I had to redo the hanging bracket on. There is a recall on 2018-20 models.

GMan
Lil' Bumpy - RPod 180
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 8:13am
Originally posted by StephenH

How is the flat part attached to the round rod? Is it welded? It looks great. I have not had any problems either since changing the cheap hanger for my homemade one. Yours looks a lot nicer though.
It's welded.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 8:40am
Okay. Thanks. I don't have the capability to weld stainless steel. I have a Harbor Freight welder that uses flux-core wire. It works okay on regular steel, but won't work on stainless steel since there is no way to connect up shielding gas.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by lostagain

I wonder why FR degraded the quality of the hangers over the years?  On our old reliable 2009 Pod, the hangers are sturdy, show no sign of stress or imminent failure, and are keeping the sewer lines nicely in place.  i just replaced the gate valves for black and gray water and found that there is almost no movement; a problem when you need a little space to slip the valves in place.  

A side note:  I got a Valtera 1 1/2 inch for the gray water and the seal configuration was such that I couldn't get them to seat properly on the pipes.  I threw it away and got a Bristol, the OEM equipment, and it took less than 5 minutes to put it in and the gaskets seated perfectly.  

Did you replace the whole unit? As in, nothing but a straight pipe was coming out? or did you just replace the actual sling mechinism? If you replaced the entire unit, do you have to cut them off? 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 12:25pm
The biggest problem with the hanger is the weight of the black water pipe when it is full. That tube has some weight bouncing up and down. If the valve had been installed right as the pipe exits the tank with an extension handle, then the pipe would ordinarily be empty unless the valve were leaking. The pipe would be much lighter and the original style hanger might have been sufficient. I'm surprised it took this long for a recall to happen. Too bad it doesn't include all RPod models that have exhibited this problem, to include my 2016 RP179 which had the hanger fail twice before I made my own hanger.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>