R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack Tank Pipe Hanger Broke

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Tank Pipe Hanger Broke
    Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 3:04pm
On our 2nd time using the RP189 as I pulled around a corner and I noticed in my side mirror the black tank outlet hanging down. I pulled over to discover the cheap bracket that was installed broke right at the bolt hole for the large clamp.  I was able to get 2 heavy duty bungee cords on it to secure it while we drove.  Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to reattach it. I was thinking of making a stronger metal bracket for the hanger to attach to.  Anyone have any methods that has worked well?  I watched a video from John M. but I think I want something more secure.
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 4X4
2018 R-Pod 189
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300A
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 3:34pm
I just posted about this a week or so ago. The thread is here. Other folks have added straps of different kinds.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 3:39pm
Look at my mods for my solution. It involves getting and bending aluminum strap, then drilling and bolting it to the frame in place of the factory strap. Since it goes around and does not fasten to the pipe, it should be able to take the flexing of the pipe without failing. You can see it in my mods. I did this one after the hanger failed for the second time. The first time, the factory installed a second strap when it went there for repairs after an accident. This time, both of the hangers failed.

There won't be a third time!
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 7:03pm
I also have two videos on this specific issue. I replaced the bolt and added a strap. The videos tell the story and the process I went through. ~PP

Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
Pod613 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 2:26pm
You have great videos John!
2019 RP176
2016 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 10:13pm
Our first major trip with the new hanger (see mods) verified that I found a workable solution. I had no issues with the new hanger. It performed well and kep the black tank drain up off the pavement. Since the fitting can move a little, it does not stress the two machine screws holding the bracket into the frame. Unless something else damages the valve or end, I should not ever hae to change them again. Thumbs Up
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
ZuBrew View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 8:05pm
I finished repairing the black tank outlet bracket.  I also updated the bracket for the gray tank before that broke. I used a piece of 1" angle iron and formed it into a right angle. I welded the corner for strength. I hung clevis brackets from my new brackets I made to support each pipe. I used multiple coats of Rust-Oleum on everything to limit rust. The first 2 photos are the black tank pipe. I ended up adding 2 ty-raps to keep the pipe from bouncing in the clevis bracket. 

The bottom photo is the gray tank pipe. My original bracket was intact so I didn't need ty-raps.

No more worries
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 4X4
2018 R-Pod 189
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300A
tcj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 10:29am
I haven't had a drain pipe problem but don't want to so I made a strap out of a piece of conveyor belting from a potato processing plant.

The belting is 3/16' thick.  I cut a strap 22" long X 7/8" wide.  Used an arch punch to punch a 1/4" hole about 1" from each end.  Held it in place around the pipe to mark the spot on the trailer frame to drill the 1/4" hole for the bolt.  The large area washer is an AN970-4 from Aircraft Spruce.  https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/an970flatwashers.php  You could probably find a fender washer the same size at a good hardware store. 

I also replaced the nuts on the factory mount with nylocks.

For what it's worth, I order hardware... nuts, bolts washers, machine screws etc. in quantities large enough to make the shipping cost worth while. Lots of good stuff there for most any project besides building airplanes.  They will send you a free catalog https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/stpages/sprucecatalog.php?clickkey=64821

2018 R-pod 180 Hood River Edition
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 8:22pm
I have this Mod on my to-do list.  Looks like I need to move it up on the priority list.Wacko
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
Ghosthawk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 8:30am
Well after reading several people posting problems with black tank hangers coming loose. I first went and put a dab of glue on the end of the bolt. Then I used some cheap dollar store braided nylon rope to make a safety hold. So just in case the metal strap breaks or the nut still comes loose it won't be dragging on the road.

That conveyer belt looks like a good mod. May have to think about that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>