R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Noisy Dometic AC - Event Date: 14 Jul 2018 - 21 Jul 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Noisy Dometic AC
    Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 9:30pm
When we special ordered our 177 back in January 2011 one of the items we deleted was a/c as we normally boondock and camp in spring or fall.  With retirement looming on the horizon, the end of this year the thought that we may be camping when it is actually warm brought us to the point of thinking about a/c.  We have heard the a/c run in the pod, not very quiet and I don't believe you could sleep with that running.  Anyway we opted for a floor unit that measures about 13" square by 27" tall.  Very quiet for a 8000 btu unit, you can actually have a conversation and hear while it runs.  It is way quieter than the furnace! The weight is 43 lbs and runs on R-410A refrigerant.  Price 299.00 includes shipping.  Made by Honeywell.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 10:56am
That's a good choice.. We have been contemplating a truck camper and thinking of buying one that is mostly empty on the inside, and then finishing it out how WE want, and I have been looking at various ways to handle a/c.. Been looking hard at this one:

https://climateright.com/climateright-5000-btu-a-c-heater-2.html   I suspect with some proper design and layout, I could a/c on batteries.. oh, and enough money.
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 8:41pm
Looks good Mark.  What I like about the one I got is the ease of installation.  Got a piece of 1/4" plexiglass to make the panel for the 4 inch exhaust hose.  Took me about an hour to fabricate, takes about 3 minutes to hook up but that is ok because I like the fact that it is very quiet.  If I don't need it, takes me not quite 3 minutes to tear down, put everything away and place the portable a/c unit in the back of the Explorer.
God's pod
'11 model 177
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 7:42am
Jato, thanks for the idea re the a/c.  I was thinking of buying an Easy Start for our ac and need to replace the shroud, but I'm loathe to invest anything in a Dometic product more than a couple years old.  I've already been told that they consider our 2009 a/c unit ancient and obsolete.  I could buy a portable unit as you describe from Amazon for between $240 and $325, depending on the brand and features and have something quieter, more trouble free and efficient, and easier on the generator.

The two problems:  Where to put it and what to do with the hole in the roof that the Dometic now occupies.  The latter problem, the hole in the roof, shouldn't be a big problem to patch.  a piece of flat fiberglass with a little reinforcing and insulation under it should take care of the issue and a flat panel on the interior, painted to come close to the paneling would solve that problem. ... or even a nice skylight to illuminate the interior.

The second problem, where to put it, is a little more complicated, but far from insurmountable.  Since we have a 172 with the upper bunk partially removed, making a storage shelf, I think there is enough space to put it on the shelf next to the head, and build a surround on the open side to help hold it in place.  When we get back from Colombia, I'm going to take some measurements to see if it will fit.  Since we tend to travel with a minimum of stuff, the loss of about 2 cu.ft. of storage space will be de minimus.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 10:09pm
Greetings Fred,

Our 'hole' in the roof was taken care of at the factory when we got our 177.  Their solution, put in a  roof vent that is very similar to the fantastic fan, but w/o the fan part.  We really like it as it adds a lot of light and brightness to the ceiling and the rest of the interior.   The 2nd part was no problem on our 177 as it is a portable unit and the exhaust hose can be extended to 42 inches.  So the unit can sit anywhere on the floor as long as it is within 42" of a window for the hot air exhaust.  If we don't need it, we just keep the unit in the back of our Explorer.
God's pod
'11 model 177
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 7:26am
Jato, I found a stainless steel dryer style vent in Amazon that would be simple to install and would make venting easy without the need for access to window.  With the 172 the windows are limited [adding to the value of a skylight in the hole from the existing AC] and the unit would be competing for the very limited space floor space.  But, if I use the shelf that remains from the old upper bunk and put the vent in the port side wall behind where the unit would go, it would be easy to attach the exhaust hose and put the AC on the shelf only when needed.  As you note, the benefit of a portable unit is that it's easy to take out of the trailer.  In fact, most of the places we camp, we need heat in the morning and our AC very rarely ever used, so we could just leave it in the garage for most trips.

The more I think about it, the more I'm intrigued with the idea.  It would be easy to fabricate a cover for the exhaust vent when the AC is not in use.  Making the cabinet separation for the old bunk shelf would also provide some functional storage space with slide in and out shelves, and I could make a removeable vented side panel to easily access the exhaust hose to dis/connect it.  Using the existing AC circuit, by rerouting the romex under the wet bath and up the wall behind the toilet with a plug added in a convenient spot.  And a nice side benefit would result from removing the old roof unit since it would reduce windage, thus improving gas mileage.  

While my wife takes care of all her annual medical exams and catches up on all the family gossip with her sisters here in Colombia, I am passing time sorting through possible installation and function issues.  Next week we leave the oppressive tropical heat of Cartagena and head to the land of eternal spring in Medellin, where AC and heat are never needed.  I only wish we could bring our Pod here.  The places to visit would be absolutely spectacular.

Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 8:39pm
Fred,  Sounds like some great places where you are in Colombia.  Never been there but have been east of there across Venezuela in the country of Guyana a couple of times.  Hope to return soon, great country! 

What was really a blessing with the a/c unit received was the 'connectors' that came with it.  The 4" plastic vent is maybe 14" long when folded and extends to 42", the heavy duty plastic vent has accordian style pleats and folds up very easily.  One end attaches quickly and easily to the a/c unit and the other end snaps into a fabricated plastic panel for the window that can expand or contract in length by using a thumbscrew which was included.
God's pod
'11 model 177
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 7:30am
Yes, when in the high country of Colombia think of struggling with temperatures between lows of 55 and highs of 78, beautiful green mountains, good food, and very friendly people.

From looking at the exhaust tubes, it looks like it will slip right over the stainless steel dryer vent I found on Amazon that is available in a 6" diameter.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
beaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote beaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 3:51pm
just replaced ours with a coleman 9,500 btu, has a low speed motor and a high speed motor. low works great at night and is very quite. see my earlier post
2014 182g, Jacksonville fl.
Dodge Durango
crw8sr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote crw8sr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 6:56pm
Has anyone put a rheostat on the fan motor to slow the fan speed down?  Any drawbacks to doing that?
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>