R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Noisy Dometic AC - Event Date: 14 Jul 2018 - 21 Jul 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 1Hpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Noisy Dometic AC
    Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 9:24pm
NOISY A/C
Has anyone had any luck with quieting the Dometic AC with in the pod?
Can’t hear ourselves think let alone speak. It is very efficient, cooling rather quickly, but it is anything but peaceful.
My wife has even inquired about the possibility of replacing it.
H&Rpod

'16 179
Tow '15 Ford F 150 FX4
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 8:52am
Unfortunately, with a non-ducted AC, there is not much you can do to quiet it down. There are a few things though.

First, close the big vent and use the front, back, and side vents. That will make it a little quieter.
Second, run the fan speed on low instead of auto or high. That will also make it a little quieter. Plus, it is easier to get used to a constant sound rather than the intermittent start/stop and speed switching of the auto setting.
Third, and more difficult, remove the inside shroud. Be careful as there are multiple places where there are screws and not all of them are visible. Take some thin closed-cell foam sheet material and use spray adhesive to glue it to the inside of the shroud avoiding the track for the large vent and making sure not to block any of the other vents. Then replace the shroud. This will also cut the sound a bit.
Last, since you have a 179 like ours, sleep with your heads toward the wardrobe side and your feet toward the slide-out side. The wardrobe will help block some of the noise.

Hopefully, these suggestions will help.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
1Hpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 1Hpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 10:15am
THX
I appreciate the suggestions. If anyone has actually replaced your unit with a quieter unit I would be curious to know the make and model of the replacement. And the big question is do you feel it was worth The expense for the sound reduction in benefits gained?
H&Rpod

'16 179
Tow '15 Ford F 150 FX4
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith-N-Dar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 2:24pm
Stephen just told you the truth: ANY air conditioner that opens directly above your head is not going to be whisper quiet.  A smaller unit operating the same way will not be much quieter.  I think that putting a duct system in will cost way to much for the average owner.  And if you can afford the cost then you would be better off with a different (much more expensive) RV.  Or better yet hotel reservations.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 3:36pm
My parents had a motor home. The non-ducted AC in their much more expensive RV was not any quieter than the one in the R-Pod. Yes, there are smaller units. Look on Camping World's web site and you can see the options. Are any of them cost effective? I doubt it. I don't think you could sell your existing unit for enough to make purchasing and installing a different unit economical.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
clickscrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote clickscrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 7:52am
I am going to have to try the foam on the inside shroud. I assume you mean on applying foam on the inside of the white plastic piece with the vents?
2018 R-Pod 171
2014 VW Touareg TDI
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Richand Cindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 11:04am
On our new RV we have a curved ceiling and ducted A/C.  It still is noisy but nothing like the RPOD.  At 13.5 BTU the rpod A/C is way too big unless you camp in 100 plus degree weather.  I did hear of someone (not a RPOD) getting a small casement size 4000 BTU unit and putting it in a window opening.  That would be quieter but again not cost effective unless your a/c breaks and you need a new one anyway.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 12:17pm
This one is called "Quiet Kool". 5,000 BTU, and sound rated at 55 dBA. On a 179, you could chop out part of the kitchen window and paste it in.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by clickscrazy

I am going to have to try the foam on the inside shroud. I assume you mean on applying foam on the inside of the white plastic piece with the vents?
Exactly. Remove the shroud and glue thin closed-cell foam on the inside. It isn't a huge improvement, but every little bit helps.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 5:05pm
I'd bet the acoustic insulation like they use for car stereo installations would work too.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>