R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator and dimming lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator and dimming lights
    Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 7:57am
One more question - I'm ok with no ac but would like to use a fan. Will I be able to plug in a fan (or anything for that matter) with solar? In other words, do the outlets work only when hooked up to electric? Beth
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 8:19am
Beth, the outlets are 120. To use a fan it would have to be 12V and you need a suitable socket or you would need an Inverter to convert 12V to AC. Small inverters are reasonable.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
cariefields View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 8:31am
Thanks Mike - pardon my ignorance but .......
What is an Inverter to convert 12V to AC? 

Beth

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 8:38am
Exactly, you can't use a large wattage inverter on battery power. Battery will discharge quickly. I have a 150W inverter I can run the TV on. However the radio and ant amp also are using power. I'm looking on interweb to see what a small fan draws, power wise.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 8:46am
The bathroom vent fan is 12v, so you have that.  You can also get battery operated fans.  Walmart usually has them in two sizes.  They work fine for a long time.  The big one takes 8 D batteries though.

This isn't for everyone, but if you have 30v cordless DeWalt tools. DeWalt has a 20v fan that is great.  It's overpriced, in my opinion, especially if you have to buyu a battery and a charger. 

An inverter is a gizmo that usually plugs in to a cigarette lighter kind of 12v outlet and converts 12v DC to 120v AC.  If you have a way to plug one in in the Pod you can plug in something little anytime.  They come in all sizes; without really knowing what you are doing, you don't want one any bigger than about 200 watts, maybe 400;  That will let you charge your computer, plug in a TV or a fan, but it won't come close to letting you use the microwave, A/C, or a hair drier. And if you have much plugged in, they will suck the juice out of your battery fairly quickly.  (That's one reason to limit the size to about 200 watts.)  You can pick one up at Walmart or just about anywhere. 

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 8:48am
Interesting video, skip the stupid ad:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnKIvYpjlaw
Mike Carter
2015 178
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 10:06am
Originally posted by cariefields

Ben - thank you for the solar info. I will mostly be camping without electric - mainly in wooded areas. Will that be an issue with the solar working effectively?

Again, major power novice hereClap

We do the same, mostly camping in the woods in Colorado and Utah. If you add a fairly long cord (20-25 ft) to your solar unit, it can be moved around to take best advantage of the sun. Usually I move it 2-3 times during the day. Keep pin mind that you still get some benefit even if not in full sun, just not as much. Our house has a solar system and I'm always surprised at how much benefit we get even on cloudy days (sort of like why they tell you to wear sunscreen even on cloudy days!).
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 10:11am
Originally posted by cariefields

One more question - I'm ok with no ac but would like to use a fan. Will I be able to plug in a fan (or anything for that matter) with solar? In other words, do the outlets work only when hooked up to electric? Beth

Beth - you can use battery fans or there are fans like this one that tap into the 12v system via a usb cord:

I installed a box in the wall (above bed, next to tv where it was easy to tap into the 12v wiring behind the sound system) that has 4 - usb outlets. It lets us charge our iPhones but can also be used to power other 12v devices with usb cable connectors. I haven't tried the fans but they get good reviews on Amazon.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 2:25pm
I have an O2 Cool fan, but a different model than the one Ben linked.

The fan and AC adapter are included. It uses six D-cell batteries. I found that it will run on a 12V adapter as well but it is just a little louder as it is running faster. It moves a nice amount of air. We use it at the base of the bed to help circulate heat from the furnace in our 179. I had the 12V cord from a RoadPro fan that was making bearing noise, so I replaced it with this model. I actually found it at my local Staples store for less than the Amazon price but they appear to have been discontinued.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
cariefields View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 8:15am
Thanks  - so easy. BTW - I loved that ad!!!!LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>