R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHot water heater

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot water heater
    Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 3:39pm
Bought our 178 last year and love it.  However, being ignorant about such things, must ask this:  Is the hot water heater in my 178 considered to be an 'On Demand' heater?  Second question is this:  Should the water pump be on anytime we are camping or only when dry camping?  Looking forward to your input.
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 3:56pm
No it is is not an on demand system like a Truma.  It is a 6 gal hot water tank system just like most homes have.  You can heat your water either by turning on the switch inside the POD (for using propane) or going outside and opening the cover to the water heater and turning on the switch ( for 120 volt electric heating).  And if you use alot of water and want to heat it up faster you can run both propane and electric at the same time (be careful and make sure you have water in the 6 gal tank by turning on the hot water faucet and having a good water flow).  We thought we would need to buy a Truma since 6 gal seems so small but glad we decided to try it first.  We have not run out of hot water even keeping it on for an entire shower.! So for us no need for an on demand system. The water pump is only needed when not connected to city water and you are using the water supply from your tank.  You also do not need to leave it on constantly but only when using water.  For example when we go to bed at night if we leave the pump on whenever the pressure drops the pump turns on and even though it is in the middle of the night and we have not used the water the pump comes on and it is noisy.  For that reason when dry camping we still only turn on the pump when using the toilet or turning on a faucet and then we just turn it off.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 4:26pm
Richard and Cindy.. If your water pump is cycling when you are not calling for water, you have a leak in your plumbing somewhere. I have opened the plumbing on TT's that have been sitting for months, and they have been at full pressure. That is how the system is supposed to work.
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 6:57pm
Never thought about a leak as it only cycles for a few seconds but will look into that. Thanks
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 8:56pm
It could be some piece of random trash stuck in a check valve also allowing the pressure to bleed back. It does not necessarily mean something is leaking but that should be checked to rule it out. I had the outside shower fitting show evidence of leaking. Since it was behind a panel, it was not visible to see. Only when I had occasion to take the panel out did I find out about it.

That outside shower also had the water lines brought up and then bent to screw into the back. I added street L fittings to allow the water lines to come straight up and screw into the elbow so the stress on the water lines was removed.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply